Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Ok, you silly Frn'ech Toasters from Newark... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ok, you silly Frn'ech Toasters from Newark...
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness on some other silly forum on the Net, right next to Smurf & Pokemon Pr0n:
BSG, naturally. But that being said, on SCI FI Flare folks rave about SG-anyything or Heroes (which i've not watched *ducks*) but already hear good things...

also, since SFF is populated but lots of French Nerds [Roll Eyes] (Actually brits i think), Doctor Who gets lots of discussions and what not...

I ask you this: Are you actually Frn'ech?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate the Frn'ech...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know we had *any* Frenchmen here. Do we? We do? Who?
OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a frenchman... he smells... does that count?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't, not to my knowledge. I think the closest would be Mark, but that's only because he speaks French (better than me, anyways). And he's actually Vietnamese-Canadian. So, not technically French, but from two formerly French colonies.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only actual Frenchman I know of who was ever here was Tachy. And he's been gone for years.

Also, "Frn'ech" sounds vaguely Lovecraftian to me. Despite the fact that I've never actually read his work.

Also also, I'm not entirely sure what's going on in this thread. At another message board, you called our British members French, then came here, quoted yourself, and asked for affirmation? I guess?

(And I'm not even sure what to think about inaccurately portraying Flare's name, then creating an acronym from the incorrect name.)

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, total chaos and misunderstanding... that IS Lovecraftian. I think. I haven't read him either.

Oh, and what the nine hells does Newark have to do with anything?

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
We don't, not to my knowledge. I think the closest would be Mark, but that's only because he speaks French (better than me, anyways). And he's actually Vietnamese-Canadian. So, not technically French, but from two formerly French colonies.

Actrually, I'd probably be closer because one of my primary 3 genetic heritages is Qu�becois...& not all that removed, either; I believe it was my great-great grandfather who left Le Nord du Blanc.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but do you SPEAK French?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the map created in this thread is anywhere near accurate, I only see one dot in France. And I don't think it's an actual person.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
Yes, but do you SPEAK French?

A very, very small amount, mostly remembered from high school & sussing things out on my own.

And I learnt French at school, up to the age of 16, and then I just kept talking it endlessly after that. And at school, the first page I ever learnt in French was full of things that are quite difficult to get into conversation, thinks like �the mouse is underneath the table� � la souris est en dessous la table. Just slip that when you�re buying a ticket to Paris: �Le train � Paris, oui? C�est ici? C�est maintenant? Cinq minutes� la souris est en dessous la table��

The other line was, �the cat is on the chair� �
le chat est sur la chaise � slightly more easy to fit in; and �the monkey is on the branch� � �le singe est sur la branche.� Very difficult to get into a conversation! Not a lot of jungle in France� monkeys thin on the ground� thin in the air� just generally pretty trim!

And yes, so it just wasn�t working. We go to bars and caf�s, that�s where we go; we go to bars and caf�s, and we sit there and we have chats in the caf�.

�Oui, j�aime beaucoup le caf�, le caf� noir and tr�s fort; tr�s choud� ( inhales ) avec une cuill�re dedans� ( mocking sound ) Ah, le virage de la cuill�re; le virage des poitrines� Je mets la cuill�re dans la bouche��

�Je suis le Pr�sident de Burundi!�

Ah, oui, Burundi! Je le connais bien! C�est tout pr�s de Zaire, oui? Tout pr�s de Mozambique� No, Tanzanie, Tanzanie! ( chuckles falsely ) Oui, je les ai appris quand j�ai les pox de poulet. Je dois part maintenant parce que ma grandm�re est flamb�e��

If you don�t speak French, by the way, all that was fucking funny, all right? We go and get hotel rooms for the night:

�Vous avez une chambre, monsieur?�

�Oui, nous avons les chambres, nous sommes un h�tel!�

�OK, je voudrais une chambre avec un grand lit�� � a large bed � �avec une vue de la mer�� � a view of the sea � �avec une douche� with a spider.�

�Oui, monsieur� c�est chambre 42, monsieur.� �42? Merci beaucoup. Mais, la souris est en dessous la table, le chat est sur la chaise et le singe est sur la branche.�

�Quois?�

�Il y a un singe sur la branche? Le chat? La souris?�

�Ou est le singe?�

�Le singe est sur la branche.�

�Est-ce que le singe est dans la chambre?�

In the end, the only way I could get that line into a conversation was I had to go to France with a cat, a mouse, a monkey, a table and a chair, and wander around heavily wooded areas. �Come on, come on! Someone�s coming, someone�s coming! Quick, positions!
Les positions, maintenant! Boulot, boulot! Tout de suite! Vas-y! Vas-y!

�Bonjour!�

�Eh, bonjour. Qu�est-ce qui se passe?�

�Bonjour, je suis Anglais, je suis ici en vacances. C�est tr�s belle ici, les couleurs, les bois, tr�s belle.�

( inhaling ) �Tu est un travesti?�

�Oui, je suis un travesti, mais pas un travesti typical. Je suis un travesti executive� Un travesti d�action!�

�Tr�s bien��

�Mais, la souris est en dessous la table, le chat est sur la chaise et le singe est� est� le singe est disparu.�

Cause the monkey would fuck off! He�d do his own thing. He was a bloody monkey! He was a cheeky monkey� and he knew my French wasn�t very good, so he�d go off and do things.

�Ah, le singe� maintenant� regarde. Il est sur une bicyclette. Il joue au banjo. Et il fume une pipe. Maintenant, il arr�te� Il lit un journal, il a on journal�

Et maintenant il est dans l�autobus! Il conduit l�autobus! Et Sandra Bullock est dans l�autobus! Il y a une bombe dans l�autobus! Il faut conduire l�autobus plus de 50 kilom�tres par l�heure. Et Keanu Reeves! L�! Il arrive dans la voiture! Il a pas de cheveux et Jeff Daniels est d�j� mort� Regarde, il se jette dans l�autobus. Et Dennis Hopper, oh! Dennis Hopper, quel m�chant!�

That was the film �Speed� in French, which in France was called �La Vitesse!� Or at least it should have been, but in fact it was called �Speed.� Yeah�

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fabrux:
[qb] Yes, but ....Yeah�

/me Cackles with glee!! [Big Grin]
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Shik - bra....vo. Seriously.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, well done shik, you can quote Izzard. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Shik
Member # 343

I can, yes. That's why it was in italics. And the first thing I though of when I said HS French.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps