Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A new low for DRM

Author Topic: A new low for DRM
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/07/western_digital_drm_crippled_harddrive/

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next thing you know they'll create a browser which doesn't let you connect to the internet.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, WD is working with several PC manufacturers and MS to create a system that won't boot and doesn't even plugin. It is to be known as the greenest most energy efficient computer, and the easiest to operate.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silly question, but can't they zip the media files to get around this?
Not that they should, it's all rather silly.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are just so many reasons to hate corporations. Not 'companies' in general, but (especially but not always American) corporations...publicly-owned, out-for-a-profit-and-nothing-else conglomerates. Every time someone brings up DRM or piracy or anything remotely related, it just gives me a twitch in my eye - any argument for DRM or against piracy or siding with the RIAA/CRIA or for the DMCA pretty much falls down when you remember that the artists are getting bupkiss for their shit anyway. The record labels and movie studios and software companies own everything, not the singers or the directors or actors or writers or programmers. And the corporations don't care if they step on your rights or massively inconvenience you, as long as they save a buck or two.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes I think all this DRM stuff is overkill. I had a discussion of this with a friend of mine and we agreed on the following:

- While neither of us resort to illegally downloading massive amounts of music and other media, we do agree that copyright infringement is indeed a serious problem.
- The measures undertaken to protect such copyrights is overkill. Examples include this hard drive as well as many cellphones which you cannot use your own legitimate MP3s as ringtunes.
- Artists need to tap into other sources of potential income and no longer rely on sales of their albums as their sole source of renumeration. Examples include having their songs as soundtracks on popular TV shows, video games, etc. I need not have to give an example in which a song on a TV show resulted in a large spike of exposure and popularity for that song in question, not to mention requests for shows and guest spots and the like.

That being said, I'm sick and tired of DMCA for their draconian measures, and I'm permanantely put off by WD for succumbing to such measures. Fortunately, I did buy a hard drive a while back and it was a Seagate, not a WD. I have three WD hard drives and those may be the only ones from them, perhaps forever.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta love RIAA

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eastern Bloc Digital, more like...
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yar har.
HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dammit, now I'm gonna have that stuck in my head all day.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait till Microsoft comes out with "Windows Pax Romana" which will immediately erase all files not certified by MS and then send these Automata (code named "Cromartie") back in time to remove all non-Microsoft software from ever being developed.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

And God will smite Bill Gates in a fit of rage when his PC BSODs, thus ushering in the next Age of Enlightenment.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps