Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Iowa (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Iowa
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, the president picks the top men - his cabinet. But what about Agent Someguy, a guy running wiretaps in the NSA; or Clerk Whatshisname down in Records for the Treasury Dept. who shredded some papers on where some funding was going? There are hundreds of thousands of people employed by the US government. The president doesn't appoint them all.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. Though, he does appoint the people who can hire and fire them.

And, for the most part, when the order comes down to illegally spy on someone or to destroy incriminating evidence, Agent Someguy and Clerk Whatshisname just do what they're told. By the president and his appointees.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question: How is the Vice-President elected? Is that someone who came runner-up in the primaries? Or is it just SOMEONE who the President picks. Does the person running for president have to be already in the Congress or Senate, or can you be any old person off of the street?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is what I meant when I said things aren't going to change until and unless everyone wants them to. As long as people just keep 'doing as they're told' instead of thinking for themselves, it'll just keep on as it is. In other words, as long as the people in power find their underlings compliant and loyal, there isn't any incentive to keep them on the 'straight and narrow.'
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally the Vice President was the runner up in the election for the office of the President. Now each candidate essentially picks their own VP, though there isn't any legal reason why their parties have to honor that choice. (On the other hand, if there is that much turmoil between the candidate and the party, one wouldn't imagine him or her to remain a candidate for that party.)

And a few minutes at Wikipedia can answer this and many other questions.

The only legal requirements to be Vice President or President are that you must be a citizen of the United States (from birth) and be at least 35 years old. (But does that mean you'd need to be 35 by the time of the inauguration, or the time of the election, or the time the result of the vote was officially ratified?)

Oh, apparently you also have to have lived inside the United States for 14 years or more. I didn't know that.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I know I could have gone to Wikipedia for all that info, but I like asking you guys. [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally Ruled by Bill Maher:
New Rule: Even if Dennis Kucinich doesn't get to be president, his wife still gets to be First Lady. This week, we learned that Mrs. Kucinich has a stud in her tongue. No, not me. I'm talking about - I'm talking about a piercing in her tongue. And if we're serious about keeping the president from even thinking about getting blown by the interns, believe me, this is the way to do it.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heheheh, I remember that particular show.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The only legal requirements to be Vice President or President are that you must be a citizen of the United States (from birth) and be at least 35 years old. (But does that mean you'd need to be 35 by the time of the inauguration, or the time of the election, or the time the result of the vote was officially ratified?)"

Inauguration, I should think. As long as you are qualified to serve at the time that you serve, you should be alright.

Also—even though it isn't a requirement—practically speaking, the VP has to be a resident of a different state from the president. This is because, according to the 12th Amendment, the electors of any given state cannot vote for both a president and a vice-president from their own state. So, if both of them are from the same state, that state can only give electoral votes to one of them.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps