Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » First we'll run him over, then we'll STEAMROLL him while he's down. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: First we'll run him over, then we'll STEAMROLL him while he's down.
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought the prohibition against double jeopardy meant that you couldn't be convicted and punished twice for the same crime, including muck-ups at the trial. Misinterpretation, I guess.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you can't be convicted twice for the same crime, but that's not what double jeopardy is. Double jeopardy is if you are found not guilty, so they try you again. It's prohibited so that the authorities can't just keep trying you over and over until they finally get a jury that's willing to give the verdict they want.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it means that if I murder someone & am tried but acquitted...& then I take you right to where the body was stashed & tell you everything that I did, you cannot try me again for that murder because I was already acquitted.

In this case, it's been deemed that judicial misconduct skewed the results of the trial. Standard practice in such cases is a new trial.

I did not see that Tim had gotten in before me.

[ February 03, 2008, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Shik ]

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
No, it means that if I murder someone & am tried but acquitted...& then I take you right to where the body was stashed & tell you everything that I did, you cannot try me again for that murder because I was already acquitted.

Yeah, but i'm sure you could be tried for littering, improper disposal of a corpse, etc...

or they could just shot you and cover it up...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell, in the USA? All they'd have to do is hold the damn taser to your neck till you die, and say you were belligerent and uncooperative. It's almost common enough that it wouldn't be noticed...
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, those throngs of roving state-sponsored taser death squads.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

It was a sarcastic exaggeration... Burn accepted, nonetheless.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:

But in this case, could they try you again on the grounds of new evidence?
Shik
Member # 343

Which case, the one ion the article, or the scenario I presenting. In the former, yes, & that's exactly what they're doing. In mine, no. The most they could do there is (as PW mentioned) get you in improper disposal & the like.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps