Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » What do you think of surveillance cameras in American cities? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What do you think of surveillance cameras in American cities?
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every citizen is a potential criminal. I know that sounds cynical, but I don't trust people until and unless I get to know them and find them to be trustworthy.

Also, I want to repeat what I said before - I don't mind cameras in public places or on highways because it's public. Everyone can see what I'm doing anyway; why do I care if they add a computer to the mix? I think "privacy" is kind of a silly idea - do people really feel "violated" if someone watches them order a sandwich or something? Or do they just not want to be seen jerking off in the public restrooms?

Revanche
Member # 953

- posted      Profile for Revanche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I definitely do not want to be seen jerking off in a public restroom. I want to be very clear on that!
Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a problem with public cameras in general, it's when they start tracking citizens' movements and storing that data that it crosses the line into violation of privacy.

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
Every citizen is a potential criminal. I know that sounds cynical, but I don't trust people until and unless I get to know them and find them to be trustworthy.

It's okay that you personally don't trust people; it's for that very reason that my home is locked at all hours, even when we're at home. Our neighbors, Idaho natives for the most part, think our behavior is pretty funny. However, the government of any true democracy must hold the philosophy that individuals are "innocent until proven guilty". This certainly ties the hands of the government when it comes to the prosecution of criminals, but it is a fairly common belief that it is better to allow a criminal to go free than to imprison an innocent.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good point. I guess the argument is really about the very fine point between believing everyone to be potentially guilty or as good as guilty.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Revanche:
Oh, I definitely do not want to be seen jerking off in a public restroom. I want to be very clear on that!

Then dont wax the monkey in a public lav. YOu wont get caught, believe me, it works.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you basing this evidence on the fact that you don't try to beat one out in a public khazi, and no body has caught you?

Because that's a very small sample. (See? I mock his scientific credentials and his genitalia! Bwuahaha!)

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I have never wanked off in a public loo, but I believe it is a fact that you cant get caught doing something if you don't actually do it.

By the end of this thread, we must count how many accronyms for masturbation and toilets we have made.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Euphemism, not acronym.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Minor detail.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

"SOMEONE SHUT ME UP PLEASE"
Very funny.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha. Charles has been busy...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the odds that any particular public restroom you may step into is equipped with surveillance cameras? Imagine that you step into the stall, seat yourself and begin your business, all the while completely unaware that some Krispy Kreme eating rent-a-cop is watching you to make sure you're not hiding any fine Sears merchandise on your person. Even if you're not doing anything more personal than using the facilities, that thought is unpleasant.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sean seems to have found all of them, or quit his self spanking in favor of over posting on Flare.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I'm glad I'm loved here. [Big Grin]

--------------------

-George Carlin

Revanche
Member # 953

- posted      Profile for Revanche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
By the end of this thread, we must count how many [euphemisms] for masturbation and toilets we have made.

Wow, I go to the head to rub a sean out and this thread just blows up again.

[rimshot]

Ouch...hard audience.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps