Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The choices for representing the working class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The choices for representing the working class
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incentive to become an Elected Official and start writing books and making speeches

Released Friday, McCain's return indicated that he paid $84,460 in taxes on taxable income of $258,800. He gave $105,467 to charitable organizations, most of which went to the John and Cindy McCain Family Foundation. The foundation then distributed much of the money to charities. The donations include royalties from five of his books, including the biographical "Faith of My Fathers" and "Worth the Fighting For."

His income included his Senate salary of $161,708, a Navy pension of $58,358 and Social Security income of $23,157. His return shows that he paid $17,700 in alimony last year; he and his first wife divorced some three decades ago.

McCain reported paying $136,572 in wages to household employees in 2007. Aides say the McCains employ a caretaker for a cabin in Sedona, Ariz., child care for their teenage daughter, and a personal assistant for Cindy McCain.

Aides say she will not release her tax returns to protect the privacy of the couple's four children; details of their wealth are included in her filing.

Because Arizona is a community property state, McCain and his wife each must report one-half of their shared income and expenses. So, though McCain reported $258,800 in taxable income on his 2007 return, the couple's joint taxable income was twice that amount. According to the returns, Cindy McCain's income from the beer distributorship, Hensley & Company, was $432,991 in 2007.

McCain's campaign also released his 2006 individual tax returns. For 2006, he reported paying $72,771 on taxable income of $215,304. He also reported charitable gifts of $64,695.

Earlier this week, Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, reported making $4.2 million last year. That was a significant jump in their income from the previous year. Profits from his books "Dreams From My Father" and "The Audacity of Hope" accounted for some $4 million. The Obamas paid federal taxes of $1.4 million and donated $240,370 to charity.

By comparison, Hillary Rodham Clinton and her husband Bill, the former president, reported $20.4 million in income for 2007 but have asked for an extension on filing their returns. Almost half the former first couple's money came from Bill Clinton's speeches. The Clintons have made nearly $109 million since leaving the White House in 2001, capitalizing on lucrative business ventures and his speaking engagements.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, I need to become an elected official, and start writing books and making speeches...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not worth having your soul ripped out and torn to shreds, pissed on, spit on, shit on, and stuffed back in.

Also, what the holy fuck is he getting social security for?? There are thousands of old people eating Alpo and not buying heart medication and this bastard's getting money from the government?

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He IS the government. And soon, if he wins, he will be even MORE of the government.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
Also, what the holy fuck is he getting social security for?? There are thousands of old people eating Alpo and not buying heart medication and this bastard's getting money from the government?

He's 65, dude. He paid into the system, now he gets money back.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Isn't he 71?

--------------------

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't seem fair to me. He paid into the system and now he doesn't *need* it.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You sound just like one of his fans.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fans make an odd chopping noise and usually accompanied by a hum from the motor. His make a different noise?

He's 71, got Reagan by a few years if he gets in.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

My point is that he isn't even retired. He's got a high-paying job. He's got a lot of income and there are people who are suffering that could use that little bit of social security he gets - and it is quite *little* when stacked alongside the rest of it. I don't care if he paid in, it shouldn't be guaranteed, it should be conditional. The money he paid in should go to help people who didn't make it as well as he did.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

That's the United States' Government for ya.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
Not worth having your soul ripped out and torn to shreds, pissed on, spit on, shit on, and stuffed back in.

You guys still have your souls? Virgins- the lot of ya!
Anyone making over 100K a year should forefit any Social Security- but the Republicans would say it's his RIGHT (while trying desperately to abolish it).
Like the current Equal Rights act that McCain says he supports but his party loathes and is killing.

Dont forget- as a member of the Senate, he gets lifetime medical coverage, and free security from the Secret Service (which sounds a bit like an invisible tea set to me).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

The secret service scares me. On a class trip to D.C. once, we got to stand outside the gates of the white house. There were at least 10 snipers on the grounds and on the roof with their rifles trained on a bunch of 12 year olds...

Past presidents and senators and such get to keep their Secret Service agents, right?

--------------------

-George Carlin

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
The secret service scares me.

And that, I believe, is the point.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Past presidents, I think. Don't know about senators - I don't think so, though. Past presidents also get the right to a daily CIA briefing.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.