Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Exessive force (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Exessive force
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well at least they're being stupid. I'd hate to think what'd happen if they were clever and behaved like that.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverend, my uncle said that Patton had a strange sense of humor, and scared him a little bit sometimes. I've heard the phrase used before, like on the History Channel, but to hear him say that he actually heard someone say it..

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason: Oh yes. Haven't you read 1984? Or, well, any dystopian novel? [Razz]
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is The Chrysalids a dystopian novel? I remember reading that in school and it was pretty bizarre. Oh, and there was one book I read where the Ford Motor Co. ruled the world and everyone walked around saying "orgy porgy" Does anyone remember the name of that book?

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. ...Actually I'm not sure what you mean by the Ford co. ruling the world, but orgy porgy rings a bell. This the book with soma in it?
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe so, and I distinctly remember Ford ruled the world.

Ah excuse me, in the book Henry Ford is idolized as the "father of society" according to Wikipedia, which just jogged my memory.

Still, both those books were kind of smutty...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Kind of the point, I think. What with the 'everyone belongs to everyone else' and all.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sean:
quote:
I'd much rather have fought in WWII, where most of the time, you knew who was what, where the enemy were, and you knew that the Germans and Japaneese would stand and fight. Vietnam, you weren't sure whether you would be impaled by a pungee stick, or dissappear in the explosion of a grenade whose trip whire you just stepped on, or ripped apart by a blast of AK-47 rounds during an ambush.
LOL!
First of all, blaming an invaded small southasian country for not putting their army on a big field with the US army and slugging it out like 1880's gentleman boxers, that's almost approaching O'Reillyan levels of arrogance.

Secondly, you think WWII was a clean, honest and EXEMPLARY war??? All the things you mentioned that you thought where bad in Vietnam where used many times more and with much more severe results than in Nam. Guerilla terror warfare and demoralizing trap techniques where revolutionized during WWII. I believe one faction had soldiers in trees, dropping long, heavy steel spikes into the heads of enemies passing by underneath.

Regarding the thread topic, I do think it was indeed excessive force and jumpy triggerfingers have no place in law enforcement. Not everyone are cut out to be under-cover cops and the pressure and paranoia you'd likely develop is bad for judgement.

But regarding police procedure during perceived aggression, isn't the strategy of firing for effect, in order to scare and make aggressors scared, a part of it?
Personally I think it's shit and would more than likely make hesitant aggressors panic and respond even wilder than they would have, risking innocent bystanders, but I thought I heard somewhere that "unloading" was some tactic used in certain circumstances.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go easy on the kid, he's still young.

The only thing straight forward about WWII is that everyone was reasonably sure who the enemy was and in which direction they probably were.
As far as tactics go, it wasn't all beach storming, marching in columns and big plastic men moving around a map of the world. British Commandos (terrorists in uniforms) for one caused nine kinds of hell behind the lines in France, Germany and all over the place. Bombing rail lines, creeping through the dark and quietly slipping a knife between someone's ribs. You know, nice upstanding honourable behaviour.
You see, REAL war, as opposed to the wars we read about or see dramatised are not about trumping round, engaging in battle and having a last man standing wins mentality. It's about not being where your enemy thinks you are, sneaking up behind the bastard and beating his skull in with a rock before he can call for help or stick a bayonet in your guts...figuratively speaking.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you are in civilized society and visiting a night club, where such behavior would be, shall we say, "frowned upon".
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
...The only thing straight forward about WWII is that everyone was reasonably sure who the enemy was and in which direction they probably were...

That's what I was trying to say, underneath all the layers of nonsense that came from my fingers. [Wink]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not excessive force. The cop didn't have a lot of choise. The guy did his best to ignore what the cop was saying. If he had kept his mouth shut, he may have been able to beat the ticket in traffic court. But if a cop pulls you out of the car, don't walk away from him. From that point on he can shoot you. This guy was lucky the cop had a taser. As I was watching the video I kept waiting for him to shoot him again, just for being that stupid. I think I would have shot the woman too, for trying to interfere.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

[Confused]

--------------------

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Er, yeah, what's that got to do with what the rest of us were discussing?

Also, about war, I think the idea of honorable war is stupid also and if I were in charge we'd be doing lots of dreadful nasty things and so on, but the point is we would be doing it to military targets and not civilians. Wars go on between governments and hence armies, not between *people* who in most cases (once the war actually reaches them - important point) wouldn't give a shit who wins as long as they can go back to their normal lives.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I hope we won't have to worry about this excessive force thing once phasers are invented...
* insert dorky snort here *

--------------------

-George Carlin

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps