Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Exessive force (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Exessive force
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This should have been moved pages ago.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I hope we won't have to worry about this excessive force thing once phasers are invented...
* insert dorky snort here *

Yes, because we all know phaser fights are accurate, brief and easy on the furniture. *inserts donkey snort here*
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it would be a little difficult to prove that strange smelling vapor was once a black man and his wallet.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Also, about war, I think the idea of honorable war is stupid also and if I were in charge we'd be doing lots of dreadful nasty things and so on, but the point is we would be doing it to military targets and not civilians."

Of course, the moment any sort of involuntary conscription starts happening, you lose that distinction entirely.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop muddying up the moral waters! IT'S ALL CLEAN AND SIMPLE! *puts hands over his ears*
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If only this were in effect before the officers had fired upon the poor schmuck. Maybe they would have thought twice, maybe three times...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...the Post?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guy who got shot fired 3 times and missed, while the buzzed cop fired 5 times and hit him at least twice while apparently not hitting anyone else. He must not have been that impaired.

Also... the test is only required if you hit someone... so if you shoot your weapon and miss the bad guy because you're smashed, you're in the clear, but if you hit him and in the process stop a terrible crime from happening, you have to take an alcohol test. Does that seem right?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The guy who got shot fired 3 times and missed, while the buzzed cop fired 5 times and hit him at least twice while apparently not hitting anyone else. He must not have been that impaired."

I wouldn't assume that. He is trained, after all. I suspect the other guy was not.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isn't the marksman skills that are in question, Abe, it's the person's judgement.

And I don't believe a cop, who fires repeatedly at an alleged suspect and misses, is in any way "in the clear". Maybe from that breathing test, but there'll be other inquiries and "debriefings", I'd assume.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure that there is an inquiry, as well as a mound of paperwork, everytime an officer discharges his weapon, anywhere but on the range.

I believe that some departments go so far as to inspect each officer's weapon before and after he/she goes on or comes off duty, counting the rounds in the magazine, and checking for any signs of recent firing.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he had the presence of mind to identify himself as a police officer before drawing his weapon. Sounds like decent judgment to me.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not endorsing the idea of off-duty cops drinking then firing their weapons. In fact, if you're a police officer, you shouldn't be allowed to drink while you're armed, on or off duty. I'm actually surprised there aren't regulations about that.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

But, there are also a fair few departments that require their officers to carry a weapon at all times, on and off duty ( the Detroit PD for one). So, those guys wouldn't be able to drink, at all. In a field like law enforcement, I'm sure a few drinks once in a while is a nice option.

--------------------

-George Carlin

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps