Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » 26 Years (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 26 Years
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can keep a secret, can you?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't buy that they couldn't do anything sooner. C'mon: they're lawyers. They find loopholess faster than a fly finds poop.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,they said that even if they had talked, it would have been in-admissible in court, and thus wouldn't have helped the poor guy at all. In fact, it might have screwed him more, because they couldn't do what they are doing now, as the evidence would have already been refused by the court.

I guarrantee this will be on an episode of Law&Order next season.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they already did that, but with a twist.

In that episode, Jaimie Ross (former ADA) represented a client who confessed to her that he commited some crime that some poor schmoe was going to death row for. Jaimie of course couldn't divulge that source without "compromising" her client. So she somehow "leaked" this information, hoping it gets somewhere. This of course was secondary to the main plot in which McCoy tries a former prosecutor who deliberately withheld exculpatory evidence which would have proved the poor schmoe's innocence and securing a death penalty conviction.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd shoot all involved, then tell a priest in the confessional- just for some ironic, non-admissible payback.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder... Is a priest allowed to divulge your confessions if you were never baptized? That is, do you have to be an official Catholic to get the secret confession privilege?
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In confession, many times you & the priest aren't acquainted, or can even see each other. There's not exactly a secret Catholic handshake to give either, so there's no way for the priest to know if you're a Catholic or not, but I don't think he would care about that anyway. So even if you did divulge something big, it's doubtful the priest could follow up on it even if he wanted to.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could so see the FBI setting up a extended-record reel-to-reel in the confessional behind a cardboard silouette of a priest.

Or HBO for that matter: "Next on HBO- New York Confessional"

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyway, the priest *could* divulge secrets; I mean, it's discouraged, but he wouldn't exactly get excommunicated for it...would he? (I'm aware that secular law says he can't be subpoenaed for it.)
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, a priest is required by law (both civil and clerical) to report a confession of a murder to the police.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't mean that's admissible in court though, does it?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe so. A priest is one of those public notary type peoples or whatever.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Saltah'na
Member # 33

I don't know what the law is here, but in the states, priest-penitent rights are protected. There have been some cases regarding that fact.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I mean, it's discouraged, but he wouldn't exactly get excommunicated for it...would he?"

Apparently, yes. He would.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hearsay anyway- anything said through that screen would get kicked out.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps