Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I hate the GOP (Page 10)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: I hate the GOP
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
Also I'm getting sick of this whole "women being energized by Palin" thing, with some talking about being "torn" because they don't want a continuation of the past eight years, but they need to support other women NO MATTER WHAT! Cause I guess they're like lemmings. [Mad]

You could say that about any group, really, and about any issue. Democrats, Republicans, women, blacks, etc.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As to the "troppergate" thing, the GOP now says that neither Palin's husband or her aides will cooperate with subpeonas for their appearance in court to give statements.
Um...it's a SUBPEONA- there is no voulntary aspect to it!

Maybe they try the 'ol subpeona-dodging power of Executive Privilege- they can all somwhow claim they're working for the Prisendent ...somwhow.

Someone needs to point out the Republican's total lack of respect for the justice system or this country's laws.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, but then they'd have to point out the same for the Democrats, and we can't have that, now can we? [Razz]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cant recall when a democrat has refused subpeona.
Maybe something under Clinton...I know of nothing recent.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, anyway.. tonight is the VP debate.

I have a weird suspicion that everyone will have underestimated the blundering Sarah Palin. What if she tunes into her passionate super-hockeymom mode, and Biden gets his tone wrong...

Still, I'm hoping it will provide ample ammunition for Tina Fey. One nervous breakdown is all that's needed to seal this thing, but I don't suspect she's going to be the walkover that some are predicting.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want a fistfight.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a no-score draw to me. Palin didn't make any huge gaffes, but Biden wasn't above massaging the truth.

Anyone who watched out there in flareland? That's just what I got from the news this morning.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it was far less entertaining than I expected.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stalemate, though at this point was it really that surprising?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They both did pretty good. No major quotable answers, good or bad. It will likely be (or rather, it has probably already been) overshadowed by the upcoming bailout vote.

Talking about that.. is this one of the few times that the US Senate and House have been so prominently visible on the world stage? I can't really remember ever seeing live scenes from the House of Representatives airing on prime time on international news channels.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

I don't know about un-quotable answers: I mean there was Biden's "Ultimate Bridge to Nowhere" and Palin's "White Flag of Surrender".
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I saw it- Biden was damn good- though anything less would have drawn fire as expectations were so high.
palin was far better than expected, though anything would beat the low expectations after her interview with Katie Couric..the one where she could name not a single newspaper she read or any Supreme Court case other than Roe vs. Wade that she disagreed with.

What was so disapointing for me was the total lack of moderator control: Palin answered only half of the questions and even went so far as to say "I may not answer the question the way you want to hear, but I'll talk straight to the American people and let them know my track record," which is like saying "I'll only answer what I want to".
Whenever Palin did not have an answer she reverted to her stump speach on how McCain is a "maverick" and how they'll reform washington.

Mccain the "maverick" was a phrase his own campaign coined back in his failed 2000 run, not a moniker his peers ever use.

Biden also did well in not rising to Palin's baits- she was very aggressive (some commentators say condesending) to Biden bit he only attacked McCain's policies and statements- not Palin herself (which was a worry- that he'd be seen as "beating up the girl") or McCain.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can Palin, who is essentialy a moron, be condecending to Biden?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

Oh, and as for "beating up the girl", you sure he wasn't afraid she'd just have him shot and mounted on her office wall in Alaska.

In a fight, my money would be on her - it would be like real life celebrity deathmatch. Hang on, I might just have a replacement for the electoral college...

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
How can Palin, who is essentialy a moron, be condecending to Biden?

SHe just seemed to be snide when talking about his "years of experience"- particularly after she had made a joke about his age at a campaign speach earlier in the week.
Of all the campaigns that should not be making "old" jokes, it's McCain's.

Obama is now up by 8 points- past the statistical margin of error.

The debate tonight resolved nothing much- more of the same from both candidates in general.
Some good overall questions from the peanut gallery but nothing really hard-hitting, IMHO.
Mccain ws caught flat-footed when asked who he'd have replace APaulson once he steps down?

Someone should have asked McCain why he's voted against increased funding for veterans benifits but managed to have his military debriefings/records (and all returning POW's from Viet Nam) classified under the Secrets Act so no one can view it- not even with a FOIA request.
Military personell from no other war have that designation.

They could also have asked more specific questions- like "what will you do to keep jobs from being outsourced?" or "What role will the Vice President have in your administration?"

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps