Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I hate the GOP (Page 3)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: I hate the GOP
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still can't get over comparing 2008-Omega to 2000-Omega. Crazy.

I'm with Lee on our politics here. Some of Brown's recent actions, like his insistence on wanting to hold people for 42-days, I just can't agree with. But Cameron is just...urgh. I have no idea what to do.

I agree with Tim overall though. You can either vote for someone you disagree with 40% of the time, or someone you disagree with 90% of the time. Or you can vote for someone you agree with 90% of the time who will almost certainly not win. Do you want to gamble on not letting the 40% guy in?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question- is it better to nobly throw your vote away and make a statement or vote the lesser evil and hope for the best?

That's how I felt last election- hated Kerry in general but despised Bush on everything.

As to Islam and the whole "infidel" thing, it's funny from a histrical perspective- the radical Ialamic nuts are acting like Christians of a few hundred years back.
A temporal window into intolerance and hate.

Christians mellowed out overall, maybe Islam will too...just in time for someome other elief to go all nutty.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a general belief that religion skrews up everything when it comes to politics. Founding fathers specifically stated freedom of religion and separation of church and state. Drives me crazy how all the news networks pine over whether or not Obama's a Muslim... Because ALL Muslims are terrorists obviously.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd probably already be moving to Scotland - in preparation for the Conservatives winning the next General Election, which will certainly lead to a successful referedum by the SNP to declare independence. But at present the figures don't add up as to whether an independent Scotland would be able to maintain its current levels of social spending. Plus we just spent £30K re-doing our house, and the way prices are dropping this is not the time to sell.

Incidentally Labour just lost a really safe seat in a by-election in Scotland, with the SNP overturning a 13,000 majority. That's the 3rd Labour by-election defeat in 9 weeks. Those Tory fucks are going to get in again, I just know it. And I see a lot of younger people who don't remember how awful it was last time putting their faith in the Conservatives. They honestly think that they will abandon ID cards, 42-day internment etc. "because they're libertarians." They need to get real - no government ever willingly gives up its powers or ways fo controlling people. And once they're in - it's (Tory) business as usual: cutting health care, school spending, etc., all paid for by tax cuts which benefit only the richest. It'll be a dsiaster, and I don't know how far they'll go - they were genuinely shocked when they lost in 1997, regarding themselves as the "natural party of government" (translation: we deserve to rule because we're best at it (translation: we deserve to rule because we're better than you)), Christ knows what they'll do to avoid having another shock like that again. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make up your own sci-fi based special intrest group with hundreds of (fake) members in your local voting area and demand unreasonable concessions for your group's vote.
Garbage men having to wear communicator badges with each truck getting a name and NCC number would be a good start.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What exactly are the SNP's plans once they declare independence and stop getting subsidised by the rest of the country, anyway?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To call Mel GIBSON! (sic)
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

He'd be like a Scottish Sean Connery!

--------------------

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still in shock.

Ommeylad, every considered compulsory voting?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just hope that if the SNP get's it's way, it means we'll be able the have our country run by non-Scots for a change. Seriously, Parliament is full of the buggers, we should be the one's campaigning for independence from Scotland.

Oh and Lee, I am THIS close to voting Tory next election. Not because I thought they were oh so much fun the last time round or anything - Maggie bless her iron heart nearly pushed us to the brink of civil war - but I've never seen or heard of a government this blatantly incompetent or so obviously corrupt as this one. My usual response is to vote Lib-Dem as always (though I know they'll never win) but next time round, I'm more concerned about the likes of the BNP getting more support than I'm comfortable with than letting the Eaton boys back in.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gasp. Daryus.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...but I've never seen or heard of a government this blatantly incompetent or so obviously corrupt as this one."

I assume you mean "a British government". Because, if not, I could point out that we've got you beat over here right now, just for one example.

Not Invented Here
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Not Invented Here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"...but I've never seen or heard of a government this blatantly incompetent or so obviously corrupt as this one."

I assume you mean "a British government". Because, if not, I could point out that we've got you beat over here right now, just for one example.

Given recent history I'd have to agree with you on that one. But right at this moment, and particularly in the area of press relations, the current British government is just unfathomably bad. For example, this week our chancellor has managed to bugger the housing market even more by refusing to rule out a previously unthinkable 'holiday' on stamp duty (People are now refusing to buy and sell property on the tiny chance they can save several thousand pounds, which reinforces the current problems in the British market that too few transactions are being carried out). The amount of dithering and indecision by our government is unbelievable. I find it ironic that the one of the things I most disliked about Blair - his slick media image and iron control of the press - is now the thing I miss most about him. How the hell has Brown managed to screw things up so badly? It's not like he's come up with any truly awful policies and yet he's managing to bore his way into an early grave.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daryus!

Comedial over here came up with a great McCain gag the other day - that the best candidate the Republicans could come up with is an old guy who everybody thought was much worse than Bush even 8 years ago. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm.... Screwing up the housing market versus chucking brown people in prison without charge indefinitely and approving horrific tortures upon them such as sleep deprivation and waterboarding... I still think we have you beat [Smile]
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.