Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I hate the GOP (Page 5)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: I hate the GOP
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's something ironic about having to hold a vote to fix the fact that people won't vote.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear in Australia that you get a fine if you don't vote. You also get a fine if you put Jedi as your religion.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if you write in "Fuck Jesus" as your religion instead?
I'm guessing "BIIIG fine" is what you'd get.

Where the hell do they get off even asking that question anyway? Wouldn't that lead to discrimination against non-christians (or whatever the ruling party's preference is)?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was part of a census and it was not observed a true religion but as a prank by the government.

http://www.snopes.com/religion/jedi.asp

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. I thought it was in your voter registration or something.
It occurs to me that fining people taking the census is a great way to deter participation in the census.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, unless you also fine them for not responding.
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you do get a fine in Australia if you don't vote.

I don't think you get a fine if you put Jedi on the census.

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may not vote at all this year. Both canidates suck. I am not happy with McCain and his new running mate. If they end up running this country we are all fucked and they will probably legalize teenage pregnency, look at his running mate and her daughter- go figure. [Confused]
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not taking a stand - generation "Y-Me?". If mccain wins, y'all know who to blame. :.)

The theory of lesser evils works. In an election system where the only people able to be serious candidates has to be rich as fuck to compete, they'll all be more or less dirty, because the richest usually are, so you go for the lesser bad.

Shit, in sweden we don't have close to the same "cults of personality" in our parties as in the US, we vote for the party itself. The candidates for prime minister do travel around the country and do a lot of shit, but not in the seven-digit budget area.
We got stuck with a conservative party puke last time, simply because the liberal democrats have declined in quality and political will just like their american, english, german and french counterparts (or simply because the global right-wing has gotten so much steam during these past 7 years).
I have hopes that the global tide will turn in about 3-4 years, time enough for even our country to get someone worthwhile into office again.

But for fuck's sake vote, just because you can. I do it, with all the disillusioned cynicism of the time I live in, but also because the alternative of giving it up is damn weak. No matter how cliché that may sound, it is a cliché for a fucking reason.

[ September 01, 2008, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Nim ]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, not voting because it's tiring and tedious to stand in line to the booths is one thing (too bad but understandable...if you're over 75), but skipping because that's what the cool, alternativey guys in school/work/tabernacle do and one wants to sound as smart and rebel as them when asked about it, that's distilled, casked douchebag material.
Neat, no ice, best enjoyed with smoked meats, a strong cheese or a dvd-box of "Dirty Sanchez".

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Screw that- I'm voting like twelve times for Obama.
The republicans and their churchy psycho evangelicals can fuck themselves, repent, be born again and fuck themselves all over again.

Even if half of what Obama says is bullshit, he'll be a better president than McCain and his cronies.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I may not vote at all this year. Both canidates suck. I am not happy with McCain and his new running mate. If they end up running this country we are all fucked
Then VOTE FOR SOMEONE ELSE! That's the point of this thread, you have options! Bob Barr is running over 6% in national polls, 11% in some states, and that's with the media and major parties doing everything they can to get him ignored and disqualified. Nader's not doing badly either, and if you don't like them, there's Chuck Baldwin for the Constitution Party and Cynthia McKinney for the Green Party. All of them are on enough state ballots that they can mathematically win, and if that doesn't matter to you, there are probably countless local parties and independents to vote for. If your teen pregnancy comment was serious, I suspect you might like the Constitution party. But look at them all!

If you can't support one of the major candidates, you can still vote! Do it!

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"Then VOTE FOR SOMEONE ELSE! That's the point of this thread, you have options!"

Not real ones, of course, but it can be fun to pretend. (Wait, I think we've covered this...)

"I may not vote at all this year. Both canidates suck. I am not happy with McCain and his new running mate. If they end up running this country we are all fucked and they will probably legalize teenage pregnency, look at his running mate and her daughter- go figure."

Please tell me this is just some sort of bizarre trolling that I don't understand?

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim, they may not win this year, but if you say "we can't do something NOW so why bother?", well, you'll never get anywhere. No, I don't expect Bob Barr to win. But I'll vote for him anyway, because the more votes he gets this time, the more trouble the powers that be will have keeping him out of the public eye.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voting to change the system is like trying to take off your underwear while still wearing your pants--doesn't work.

Long live neotribalist rational anarchism.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.