Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » First, disgruntled postal workers. Then...disgruntled teachers.

Author Topic: First, disgruntled postal workers. Then...disgruntled teachers.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This school plans to arm it's teachers .

I personally think it would be interesting to watch what happens to this little school...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And look at this rock! It keeps the tigers away.

(Translation: the guy they quote fails at cause-and-effect.)

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't pointing a loaded gun at someone grounds for them shooting you? If so then they may have actually increased their chances of getting shot and given the hoodlums a legal justification of self defence.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The governor of Missouri drew a fair amount of criticism a year or two ago when someone mentioned the idea of arming teachers, and he suggested it sounded reasonable. Didn't take him long to retract that.

"He said the district's lone campus sits 500 feet from heavily trafficked U.S. 287, which could make it a target."

Because kids like to hold shootings in schools that are close to US highways? What?

"When the federal government started making schools gun-free zones, that's when all of these shootings started. Why would you put it out there that a group of people can't defend themselves?"

I really really doubt that, before such a policy existed, all these headcases were thinking, "Man, I'd like to shoot all my classmates in the face, but I just don't know who else might be carrying, y'know?"

"...and given the hoodlums a legal justification of self defence."

Pretty sure that only works if the teacher draws first.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You didn't do your homework?" *BANG*

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"He said the district's lone campus sits 500 feet from heavily trafficked U.S. 287, which could make it a target."

Because kids like to hold shootings in schools that are close to US highways? What?

I think because of extra-schoolular crazies coming in with a gun, not intra-schoolular students.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. The apex of idiot N.R.A. mentality.
All schools have bans on bringing weapons to school- teachers included.
In Florida (and certainly elsewhere) just pointing a gun at someone else is a felony: much less pointing one at a minor.
quote:
In order for teachers and staff to carry a pistol, they must have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun; must be authorized to carry by the district; must receive training in crisis management and hostile situations and have to use ammunition that is designed to minimize the risk of ricochet in school halls.
So hollowpoints are good? No richochet there...same with "Zap" ammo and .22 "magnum" rounds.
Those just leave holes in things- like torsos.

It's all a pipe dream of gun nuts- teachers cant spank an unruly kid, much less draw on him.
I cant forsee this going unchallenged and overturned.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
In Florida (and certainly elsewhere) just pointing a gun at someone else is a felony:

Your use of italics there makes that sound like a slightly extreme policy. Whereas the crazy policy would be a place where pointing a gun at someone wasn't illegal.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, does that mean Florida got rid of that law where you could shoot anyone who makes you uncomfortable?

"I think because of extra-schoolular crazies coming in with a gun, not intra-schoolular students."

Since when is that even a problem? Have there even been any school shootings perpetrated by someone who wasn't from the school?

Also, if someone were going to go shoot up a school to which they had no personal connections, would they really travel to do it? But only on a minor highway, not an interstate? It still makes zero sense.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say it was justified, I just said I think that's why he was citing the nearness of the highway as a concern.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.