Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » PRESIDENT OBAMA! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: PRESIDENT OBAMA!
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
Good point, Obama will no doubt hold a lot more public speeches and with bigger crowds than Bush did, because people will actually want to see them.

There's a lot more at stake then. political 'off-ings' is something not heard much of in the media (good thing? bad thing? i dunno...)

*watchs around for a Flare-Dog-Pile cautiously*

Let's just hope that the wack-jobs who do try DON'T. America needs success, America's wack-jobs need to be dead'ed, legally or wack-job'ed in house. any other situation is JFK all over again (how different our world would be had he...)

*sigh* I voted O. MY. VERY. 1st. TIME. in the 18 years that i could vote, i only voted this year... and it was cool.

*skids the topic side-ways a bit*

i'm surprised nobody's taking about the shite in Colorado (Affirmative Inaction) and Cally (Yes on Prop-8: Yeahhhhhhhhh, Christianaity taking another step backwards towards Islamic evil-ness [Intolerance]. Equality for all? LOL. yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

even when we think we win, we lose....

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pensive: Yeah, but CO Amendment 48 (fetuses are people too, and inherently more valuable than the uteruses they're made in, so let's prosecute women for miscarrying!) died by a huge margin.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, 48 was really bad.. even if you're against abortion... terribly written.

The affirmative action bill, sorry, but I agree with it. If skin color should never matter in getting your job, then, well, skin color should never matter in getting your job. Why is there a problem with that?

Prop 8, in Cali, is a messy kettle' of fish. It's more an example of escalation out of control than anything else.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank God Allmighty that 48 died- it would have meant the end of all kinds of research- as well as invitro fertilization techniques that have allowed so many couples to become parents.

As California had it's dumb Amendment 8, we in Florida had Amendment 2 - which is twice as stupid in nature as gay marriage was already illegal in Florida- this change to the state constution also does away with Domestic Partnerships- even between hetrosexual couples.
Small wonder the proposition was started by and fully funded by far right religous groups with many moderate religous groups railing against the measure as it limits everything from hospital visits to shared insurance coverage for couples living together.

The cash-strapped state will likely spend millions defending the legality of it for years to come.

Strangely enough, it's the record number of African-Americans Obama's campaign got to the voting booth that likey passed Amendment 2- even though Obama himself was against it's passing: a lot of those same voters come from a religous/conservative POV regarding marriage rights and there was massive advertisment for the amendment's passing- as well as some frankly unlawful pushing from the pulpit in many churches.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I might come off sounding like an evil ignorant foreigner, but how can a marriage be valid in one part of the country, but not the other? I realise you lot a certain laws for certain states but the legal recognition of a marriage seams like a "biggie" to me.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Ok, I might come off sounding like an evil ignorant foreigner, but how can a marriage be valid in one part of the country, but not the other? I realise you lot a certain laws for certain states but the legal recognition of a marriage seams like a "biggie" to me.

50 people, saying 50 different ways how you can fist a chicken. and depending on which of those 50 people you talk to, not all those different means of fisting that chicken might not be legal to those particular individuals...

not exactly the correct answer but it's not politically correct an answer i'll provide.

it gets better when some of those 50 people are religious bigot fucks with NOTHING better to do but legislate the means of how you can fist that chicken (thus why frn'ech fisting might be legal to one person but a felony to another...)

[Big Grin]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:

Marriage rights are handled at the state level with slight vararitions from state to state- there are slight diffrences in divorce laws as well.
In this case, a contraversial California Supreme Court decision that had recognized same-sex marriage in California as a fundamental right.

In response, The Mormon Church of California and aligned church organizations attained enough signatures to take up a ballot amendment to the state's constitution to trump the sate's supreme court's ruling- which they did and it sadly passed....possibly invalidating the thousands of same-sex marriages performed since the supreme court's initial ruling.

Or read about it here.

Also, the Mormon Church made contributions to the fund supporting Prop 8 mandatory- thus possibly imperiling their tax-exempt status by useing religion to influence voters and the state's political process.

It's amazng the passion some people feel to take away other people's right to be happy. [Wink]

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it helps, think of America as 50+ diferent little countries with their own government etc, all held together by a single central government.

That's also why the election has to be run in the way it is - 51 individual elections that need to be put together to decide the next step.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the best way to think about it would be to consider the US as an analogy to the EU; each state of the US is somewhat like each member country in the EU, but not to that significant a degree.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

But we all speak the same language and out money always fit nicely in a wallet.
Hmmm...imagine a european country where the capital was Las Vegas. They could all speak "lounge" and the national anthem would be a big band jazz number.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. I have a Big Band version of the European Anthem.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hey, if they can make the crappy old 1960's Iron Man cartoon theme music sound swingin' anything's possible.

Maybe a nice jazzy Anarchy In The U.K. is not far behind...

I have a CD called Loungapalooza with all "lounge" music (which I only bought for a great Poe original song) that features a lounge version of Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's how it should sound

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
I guess the best way to think about it would be to consider the US as an analogy to the EU; each state of the US is somewhat like each member country in the EU, but not to that significant a degree.

Except, you know, that we ARE separate countries, despite what the Germans and French keep trying to forces us into.

quote:
Originally posted by HopefulNebula:
Heh. I have a Big Band version of the European Anthem.

There's an anthem?

Anyway, getting back to marriages, I still fail to understand how each state has different can have different laws governing what must be one the the most basic and probably one of the oldest human rights. I can understand churches and various religious groups refusing to have the ceremonies at their places of worship, that's their business, but a marriage is essentially a legal contract, so why should the courts even pay attention to their demands is beyond me.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's an anthem.

Also :
"Anyway, getting back to marriages, I still fail to understand how each state has different can have different laws governing what must be one the the most basic and probably one of the oldest human rights. I can understand churches and various religious groups refusing to have the ceremonies at their places of worship, that's their business, but a marriage is essentially a legal contract, so why should the courts even pay attention to their demands is beyond me."

It's certainly up to each state to decide to whom they will issue marriage licenses. Over the years, different states have imposed different regulations on things like minimum age without parental consent, degrees of consanguinity, race, etc. But, theoretically, the full faith and credit clause of the constitution should mean that, even if a state wouldn't allow two people to get married, it still has to recognize their existing marriage if they marry somewhere that does allow it. Which makes all these states' amendments unconstitutional. It's just a matter now of getting the courts to declare that.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps