Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I'm running for congress (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I'm running for congress
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm serious. I'm the Libertarian party 2010 candidate for US House, TN district 5. It'll only take 25 registered voters' signatures to get on the ballot, so that won't be a problem. I think there's at least one poster here from that district, so hey, vote for me!

I've written up my positions on a large number of issues. I believe I have a good chance of appealing to what one might call the Slashdot crowd: I want intelligent solutions to problems that are important but aren't frequently addressed, I'm not concerned with issues I can't fix, and I don't care for party lines or namecalling. I want the government smaller, smarter, and more accountable. I don't have any illusions about my chances, but I want to see what happens. If nothing else, it'll be fun. [Smile]

I'm looking for input on my positions document. Given as this is a relatively small, intelligent crowd, I thought I'd go here and see what you all thought. I'd like to hear if you think if anything is badly worded, if I'm missing any important issues that I should have a stated position on, or if there's anything in there that would cost me your vote, if you had one. [Smile]

http://srange.net/politics.txt

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOW we can expect the incriminating photos to surface! [Wink]

Noli Nothis Permittere Te Terere!!

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would really help if you could format that page to be reader-friendly.

But based on what I've read so far, I'd vote for you.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the formatting on that text is awful ... I was having to scroll. I can't believe I'm saying this, but, uh, I actually kind of liked what (admittedly little) I read.

And, hey, if you get elected, we'll be neighbors!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good. I found it hard to read, but that was due to the format rather than the content. I'd perhaps be a bit less impersonal about the Electoral College, but I don't know if that's how these things should sound, not having a Congress to elect over here.

Good luck at any rate.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about the formatting! I guess I just assumed everyone would have word wrap turned on. I'll repost in a bit when I have the formatting fixed up on my website.

--------------------

Omega
Member # 91

Check it out. Feedback on the website in general would also be appreciated. I'm going to change the color scheme and update my photo before going public with it.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'd definitely update the photo to one that was a little more... how should I say... professional? Not dissing it or anything - but you don't usually see candidate photos of people in casual clothes and sunnies.

Some more formal attire would be more appropriate. I'm assuming you know this already.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would:

1. Take a photo dressed like you would for a job interview.

2. Have your website's content edited by someone other than yourself, possibly a resume writer. It seems too much "Oh, this is my personal website, and, by the way, I'm running for Congress."

Also, I would suggest a more professional looking website.

The front page is good because you draw a lot of attention to your political beliefs, but I'd get rid of the Dem/Republican bit: you're only going to alienate people.

I would get rid of most of the personal stuff. You're applying for a job. What do you bring to the job? Discussing why Boomer's motives are misunderstood is not something that will probably benefit you as a congressman.

All of your issue points are ... or seem to be ... national things. Are there any issues specific to your district or state that you might have any sway over as a congressman, and why would your approach differ from the D or R also running for this seat?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More red, white & blue needed. Proper photo, in suit and nice smile, probably against a blue background with a Stars & Stripes in the corner. Or posed outside with a recognisable Nashville landmark in the bakground. Get some Libertarian Party imagery in the mix too.

As Snay says, really get into the local issues. Think globally, but act locally. Lose the personal stuff, but try to get some of the activities you do (if any) in there - go on fun runs, volunteer in your neighbourhood (for whatever), and get photos of you doing it all.

Don't expect to win first time out, but use this election to propel you into the public consciousness. If the GOP are as insignificant in the district as the Wikiarticle says, then you can work on that by getting the local press to see you as an alternate/opposition point of view for comments on local stories and issues. When Jim Cooper says X, they can then quote Stephen Collings rather than Scott Knapp or Thomas Kovach saying Y. Republican disarray should be good for at least past Obama's re-election so now is the time to make a third-party candidate seem like a viable alternative. Follow Cooper's every move (and vote in the house) and always have a suggestion as to how you'd have done better.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your stance on people with 'special abilities'? [Smile]

I'm guessing this could be a good web page to go by - hasn't seem to have affected his position in the polls: http://votepetrelli.com/

Omega
Member # 91

Thanks for the feedback. I've changed some details, and I'll be getting a new picture hopefully within the next two days. Also, the website can now be reached at collings2010.com. Also collins2010.com, since nobody will spell my name right. [Smile]

--------------------

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you could do a little more research to expand the welfare section. As most voters will be older than you, they would want to see meatier ideas about welfare than just "let's talk about it."

In particular, I would like to see discussions about preventive/wellness programs to lower Medicare/Medicaid costs. Mandatory financial education earlier in life could also lower dependence on social security.

I would agree with Lee that it'll help to have an editor tighten up the writing. It feels a bit "loose" right now.

Omega
Member # 91

Those sound like reasonable ideas, and I should research them more.

New photo is up.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to get a haircut. Oh, wait, that's a pot plant. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps