Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I'm running for congress (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I'm running for congress
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, beware of Britishisms. Having your picture taken with a potted plant is fine. Having your picture taken with a pot plant is definitely not.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does your mustache not connect to your beard?

Also: while it's a much better photo, have a plain background. It's hard figuring out where you head ends and the plant begins. If you don't want a blank white wall behind you, go and take a photo with some trees in the background.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll be upgrading the photo further as time permits. [Smile]

As for my facial hair, well, that's just the way it comes in. I've been told I look Amish. And Jewish. And one person asked if I was mixed black and white. Which was hilarious since he was black.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
We'll be upgrading the photo further as time permits. [Smile]

As for my facial hair, well, that's just the way it comes in. I've been told I look Amish. And Jewish. And one person asked if I was mixed black and white. Which was hilarious since he was black.

He apparently lacked "BroDAR"

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I believe that the United States should refuse to sell weapons of any kind to countries with a consistent recent record of violating the rights of its citizens, or of agression against its neighbors.
Does that apply to private corporations as well?
Currently US companies supply weapons to pretty much anyone that wants them with no qualms.

How does that jibe with your stance on gun control?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out for a couple days, be back Saturday evening.
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Picture
Whoa, you look like a different person. Not sure if it's the lighting or what. You do look Jewish in this one and a total white boy in the other one.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit, Omega, you've come very far.

Some issues that you used to argue against others in this forum you did so vehemently. And always with the impression that you were always right. I sit here and note your stances on such things as gun control, and the Death Penalty; you were against and for these issues respectively back then, right?

I was wondering if you could at least put something with regards to the following (yes, I am Canadian, so shove it):
- Environment: You mention pollution, but I'm talking about the environment as a whole. Whether you believe climate change is happening or not, there are many issues regarding suburban sprawl, how to control it, how to preserve the environmental landscape etc, etc, etc. What about endangered species, destruction of animal habitats and so on?
- Infrastructure: You are very vague in this respect and there is no mention about public transportation infrastructure (especially locally). Despite the fact that I do own a car, I do believe that public transit is also important, and serves to help the environmental issues in my previous post.
- Taxes: You don't mention if you favour a progressive tax system or a flat rate system. Replacing an entire tax system not only takes a lot of time, but too many people will be confused by such a radical change. Can you clarify how much "easier" it will be for the American public?
- Obviously, you also want to put something with regards to the current economical pickle the US is in. It would be nice to know what people think about your views on current events.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Pollution
Nobody likes air pollution. The only question anyone has is whether clean air is worth the price. Everyone draws that line in a different place. I see no obvious reason the federal government should be involved in drawing one line for everyone. As such, I would advocate the removal of air pollution standards from the federal government's hands, placing that issue back with the states where it belongs. Exceptions would be made for facilities on state borders, where emissions would affect more than one state.
There are two major sources of pollution can definitely be replaced by superior technologies, and I'd like to see those new technologies further developed and implemented. First, I'm a firm advocate of alternative fuel technology, whether fuel cell, biodiesel (particularly algae-based), ethanol, or electric vehicle. However, I do not support projects that have no potential to be a net environmental improvement. The energy balance of ethanol in particular has been a target of significant criticism in this regard. More research is required before I can determine whether to support ethanol as a clean fuel.
Second, I want to shut down coal power plants and replace them with cleaner sources of grid power, such as modern nuclear plants and large-scale solar thermal installations. Nuclear power is far from perfect, but it is far cleaner and safer than coal plants. Solar thermal power plants have far greater efficiency than photovoltaics, are less weather dependent, and have a smaller ecological footprint. I will support any measure that I believe will advance these goals.

You kind of contradict yourself here as EPA standards are the sole regulation for coal pollution plants you want to close.
Also, leaving pollution standards up to states is very shortsighted: pollution often affects hundreds of miles from the source- allowing one state to, for example, dump chemicals into a river would be a disaster for fisheries at that river's end in some other state- not to mention sickness caused and property damages associated with polluted streams etc.
Also consider that the coal insustry are major canpaign supporters in several states, making state-level regulation dubious at best.

Currently, the EPA does no where near enough to curb polluters- fines at best taht usually go unpaid. Giving states sole discresion would also force states to form their own EPA's to enforce/audit state compliances.
Currently there exists no mechanism in most states (certainly in Florida) to enforce even ntional standards- there's just no money for it at the state level.

A good example is Big Sugar's pollution of the Florida Everglades National Park- although a federal court and the state's Supreme Court has ordered them to pay tens of millions in clean-up fines, they have yet to pay a dime.
This was with the full weight of Clinton's EPA enforcing and documenting the pollution.

Bush's administration cut EPA inspectors to on-quarter their clinton-era number and thay have yet to be replaced.

No way a state could handle the burden of the EPA- even if that state somehow was a mecca of scientists, lawyers and inspectors looking for such work.

Your notion of gun control needs some tweaking as well- why not have handgun owners renew their liscenes?
Seems only reasonable as you have to do it for your driver's liscence and every other kind.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He has a FaceBook group as well! I've joined, for a laugh.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you actually get taken seriously by either of the major parties, I wonder how long it'll take for them to pull up your post history here and attempt to smear you with it...
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have contacts, and I'm not afraid to use them.

I'd like a Bimmer, please..... [Wink]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Capps:
If you actually get taken seriously by either of the major parties, I wonder how long it'll take for them to pull up your post history here and attempt to smear you with it...

I'm available for interviews...
oh, how I'll entertain them with tales of all the PM's Omega and I have shared where we besmirtch the middle class, the poor and plan to ban all firearms while passing mandatory abortion leglislation for anyone making less than $100K a year.

Everyone should join me- we can "swift-post" our pal!

Kidding, ...of course. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Member # 91

I have altered my stance on gun control, foreign affairs, pollution, taxes and welfare programs somewhat, and added sections for energy and prison population.

Saltha'na: my updates don't change much about your environmental points, I may have to think about those more. I'm also not sure what to say about the present economic situation as yet, I need to understand more about exactly what happened. However, I have mentioned infrastructure changes under pollution, and I've clarified my tax position somewhat.

You are correct that some of my opinions have changed significantly over the years. Chalk it up to recognizing reality that things are not always as you think they are. [Smile] And the fact that you're Canadian means nothing, I still value your feedback on my positions.

Jason: I'm not so much interested in closing coal plants as I am in slowly phasing them out as they reach EOL. I have altered the pollution paragraph to make that clearer. I've also made it clearer that the range over which different states' regulations should apply should depend on the type of installation, and that enforcement may reasonably remain with the federal government, but must be adequately staffed and funded. I've also added that US corporations that sell weapons to not-nice countries should be heavily taxed.

As for handguns, I simply don't see the benefit of registering them. Care to enlighten me?

Regarding my posting history here, I'm not terribly worried. I don't expect either major party to take me seriously. That way my victory will come as a total surprise. [Big Grin]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I have altered my stance on..."

You should probably start training yourself to use words like "clarified" rather than "altered", in a situation like that.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.