Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Religion? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Religion?
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a strong agnostic. We can never know. Plus there's the whole simulation argument.

It's beliefs that do damage, not religions. Religions are just philosophies. It's when people believe them so strongly they treat them as incontrovertible truth that shit starts to go down.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cant agree there: beliefs and spirituality are maleable and change as a person grows and changes, whereas Religon sets a static doctrine that discourges self-development, questioning of what is Truth and independent ideas as to the nature of God(s).

Religon is the tool of control via reassuring communal rituals whereas spitituality is more a private philosiphy and less often shared in a public venue.
As example, you might share your personal view of existance with your wife or signifigant other- a view you've refined over your whole life- but would not go about telling strangers or aquantinces (at least not without several drinks first).

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
Humility, and the ability not to become angry when someone disagrees with you, is very important.

Hot damn- Omega the enlightened!
Seriously man, check out some Buddhist philosophy.
There are many parralells with ideal Christianity but with more of a slant to personal refinement.
No idol worship required- in fact it's discouraged. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we have a semantic difference here. When I say "belief" I mean "something a person is convinced is true" and when I say "religion" I mean "a system of philosophy and moral meaning." To mean your static doctrine of control and so forth and so on I generally say "organized religion." But words only mean what everybody agrees them to mean, so when stuff like this happens I just get a burning wish for telepathy.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah....you dont want to be inside my head!
Just the other day I had "You're a Grand Old Flag" stuck in my head all day after my room-mate bought an old 1940's songbook off Ebay.

Plus all the unspeakable Lovecraftian horrors, of course.

I get your meaning though- it's difficult to talk about belifs without the "R" word geting involved. [Wink]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.