Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Yo Ho Ho and an AK-47

Author Topic: Yo Ho Ho and an AK-47
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somali Pirates vs. the U.S. Navy

Apparently the Navy's history along the Barbary Coast has not filtered down to the horn of Africa. Perhaps another Stephen Decatur will arise.

Just a thought, I wonder if the Navy has considered a version of the "Q-ship" for this situation? That would seem to be a perfect concept.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew ever since these pirates captured a US ship it would turn into a shit storm. I just can't honestly believe these people want to attack us and think they can win.

If there's one thing history has taught us, is that attacking the US is never been a good idea. Let's face facts, typically America acknowledges things, but stays out of it until provoked. Like WWII, stayed out of until December 7, 1941. Terrorism, always an issue, but not until September 11, 2001 did we really take it seriously and do something about it. Now these pirates. Their attacks have been on the news, but it wasn't until now that the government has decided to get involved.

Our ships already conduct Maritime Interdiction Operations in the Persian Gulf, boarding suspicious ships entering and leaving the area. Granted the Straits of Hormuz make that easy. However, it's only a matter of time before 5th and 7th Fleet start increasing patrols around the horn of Africa region.

The moment they start firing at DDG's or CG's ... or if they're really stupid, a CVN. Then it's over. Our satellites will track their vessels, find out where they're coming from, then either the closest ship will launch missiles, or fighters will drop bombs on those locations. It may not stop them, but it will slow them down if we destroy enough of their boats.

The funny thing is, the US is often accused of trying to be the "world police" when that's not always the case. I was reading one article, I forget the source, where a ... I think French person was upset about the SEALs actions in the rescue mission. Apparently because of retaliation on other non-American hostages. As if we shouldn't have rescued our own people cause what might happen to theirs while they appear to not be making the same effort. Unless they expect us to do it for them, but then afterward bitch as us for involving ourselves.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They would not keep taking hostages if they were not being paid ransoms- it's as plain as that.
Sadly, the lawless situation in Somalia is not addressed- only the piracy.

The world is fine with calling Somalia a "failed state" and leaving them to rot- the US tried to use military force to stabalize the country and that sure failed- they gleefully killed US soldiers and that memory lasts and lasts.

Dont expect the United States to spread it's recources even more thinly by attempting to stabalize Somalia- but our Navy will use this as a chance to garner some publicity -and possibly to fight for it's funding in a world where most of our forces are engaged inland.

The navy did thte right thing and the situation was resolved in the best possible way- (with regards to Captain Richard Phillips)
Holy crap, take a picture somebody: it's a happy ending to a crisis. [Smile]

Today's raid will only ensure that US flagged ships are armed and that any sap in a speedboat approaching will be fired on.

I find it amazing that billion-dollar shipping companies cannot/will not hire security details for their ships.
Hell, provision-stocked panic rooms on board with radio transmitters would solve a big chunk of the hostage problems.

Hmmm...I hate to say it but the first US sailor that these guys kill will probably earn all pirates the designation "Terrorists"...I'm suprised it's not being used already.
If armed gunmen hijacked an airliner and demanded a ransom, they'd certainly have that designation- somehow the nautical euphamism "pirates" conjurs up Johnny Depp, not "killers with automatic weapons".

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
They would not keep taking hostages if they were not being paid ransoms- it's as plain as that.
Unfortunately, since the US Navy's intervention, the pirates have said that they would kill any Americans they come across.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I'd love to see them fire on a DDG sailing around the horn. The 25mm is usually enough for most small boats, if not the 5"/54 MK 45 will finish the job. Not to mention 300 sailors with plenty of rifles and pistols to go around.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if companies like Blackwater use this to convince shipping companies to allow armed security on civilian ships.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
quote:
Unfortunately, since the US Navy's intervention, the pirates have said that they would kill any Americans they come across.
Well, some said that- it's not as though they're a unified front or anything.
The key here is in not letting any more people get kidnapped.

I don't think anyone would condemn a "shoot first" policy for unidentified speedboats approaching commercial vessels near the Somali coast.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I'll be the first to admit that having US special forces get involved is just what this situation needs (as jon Stewart and John Oliver said the other night, it's not just fucking cool, it's cool as fuck), I think it's amazing how this only becomes big news - actually, any news at all - in the US once US citizens get involved. It's been going on for months, with news coverage all over the world. But of course no Americans were involved so it didn't matter over the pond. Now the US Navy's budget apprpriation is involved, I expect the whole thing will go south pretty sharpish. Expect some inadvertent collateral damage to humanitarian aid efforts in Somalia any day now.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Sure- some speedboat will make a run for a commercial ship, the Navy will fire on it and the locals will declare it was a wedding- with the doomed couple and, of course, children dead!
Darn those American infidels! [Big Grin]

Really, the only thing the pirates could do to counter US effectivness is to use human shields- children most likely when hostages from hijacked ships are not available.

Then we'll hear about "reckless Americans".

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We should bomb them. With pies.

(This is what happens when I watch "Blazing Saddles" the night before. [Big Grin] )

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
...Let's face facts, typically America acknowledges things, but stays out of it until provoked...

Hehe, good one mate. Oh wait, you're serious!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, America gets a bad rep for trying to police (state) everything and when we dont try to police everything, so it evens out.

If only there were some organization of "united countries", with a joint military force that could restore order! They could "resolve" to do something and then act as one body- sharing equal duties and face equal dangers together.
Alas, it's just a dream.

quote:
We should bomb them. With pies.
Hostess Fruit Pies!
If they can quell the anger of the Incredible Hulk, surely the Somali Pirates will be sated as well.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps