Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » GO IRAN! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: GO IRAN!
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always good to see Britain brought down a peg.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Hey now, you guys were the original Evil Empire.

Iran remembers the good old days.
Y'know, it's been too long since our respective countries extinguished some hapless country's ethnic/cultural identity...
You sure you guys dont want northern Iraq?
Lotsa Kurds: almost no press.

Hmm...I think it'd be more in our interests to have another go at India, those telesales calls are starting to get irritating. Or we could try and get Hawai back...again. That could be interesting.

On the subject of Evil Empires, I think even we, the sneeky, deceptive, country stealing, oppressors of slave owners and fraudulent expenses claimers that we are, must tip our hats to the old Persian Empire. Whatever happened to those guys I wonder? [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
What did the Tamils do?
Tell me India's PM was not visiting. [Wink]

The Tamils were far more disruptive than the Iranians are. Their protests resulted in road closures and vandalism in many areas of the city, whereas the Iranian protests are much more orderly. It doesn't help that the Tamils kept waving the flag of a known Terrorist group.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
On the subject of Evil Empires, I think even we, the sneeky, deceptive, country stealing, oppressors of slave owners and fraudulent expenses claimers that we are, must tip our hats to the old Persian Empire. Whatever happened to those guys I wonder? [Wink]

Well, Alexander came along, then died, leaving his idiot extended family to clusterfuck the region with both governmental disarray, severing of trade routes and the introduction of Greek theology.

Then there's that Iran/Iraq war from a few minutes back- more a million of the male population were killed in that- kinda a setback in regional ambitions.

hmmm....more clashed between the militias and protestors today- it's too confused to tell the extent of the violence though.
If only the protestors had a martyr to inspire them.

On NPR's "The World" a caller pointed out that Mir Hossein Mousavi is certainly no gem- that he was Prime Minister during the Iran/Iraq war- an era where thousands of political dissenters disapeared into prisons and worse.
But maybe he's changed his stripes. [Wink]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Other Canadians seem to be amongst the crowd and beeping their cars in support.
Hmmm.

You have cars that go "beep"? Do they also squeak with delight if pinched?
That's it, my next vacation is Canada.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
he was Prime Minister during the Iran/Iraq war- an era where thousands of political dissenters disapeared into prisons and worse.
But maybe he's changed his stripes.

I read there where about 30000 dissenters summarily executed and put into mass graves as quickly as possible, with Mousavi's approval.

Also, I found that "Neda" protestor video on youtube, that's the worst thing I've seen since the Al qaeda decap video.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a laugh the Republicans are saying that Obama should notch up the condemnation.
Yeah, like listening to those fucktards on world policy is a good idea.

But, of course, the government of Iran is desperately trying to say all the protests are being incited by the CIA, MI6, Mossad, SHIELD, and possibly Disney/Pixar.

I cant bear to watch that video of that woman bleeding to death- not now at least- waaay too much on my emotional plate to heap that on too.
The stills were more than enough.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might actually believe it about Disney, they're certainly evil enough and have probably wanted to build a "Disney World Tehran" ever since Aladdin came out.

As for Obama, I think he's done the right thing by refraining from saying too much up until this point. Less fuel for the fire.
I did like how they labelled the BBC as the centre for psychological warfare. Anyone who's been watching BBC News the last few weeks should know the government have zero influence one what does and doesn't get reported.

I have a nasty feeling this isn't going to resolve itself one way or the other any time soon. Blaming public unrest on foreign influence is usually a good sign a country is on the verge of a civil war.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. And let's not forget, one repressive government can easily be toppled by another repressive government.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

You guys are so negative!

I'm certain that non-violent protests will sway a hardened military and an unchecked government-backed religous militia...
To the cause of Freedom!
Before you know it, the entrenched theocracy will concede that the elections were indeed fradulent and that Mousavi should be the duly elected President of Iran.

The clerics will apologize for their complicity and the Supreme Leader will hand his political and military powers over to the office of the President.

There will be a week of street clebrations and much international praise for the New Iran.

Then Mousavi will have all dissenters put to death or forced into political prisons....possibly he'll Invade Iraq.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Ahhh....the Blame Game.

From CNN:
quote:
Meanwhile, Iranian authorities said they have arrested several foreign nationals, some with British passports, in connection with the country's post-election unrest.

Intelligence Minister Gholamhossein Mohseni-Ezhei said some people with links to the West and Israel had planned a series of bombings in Iran ahead of the election, Press TV reported Wednesday. Watch a report on Iran's history with the West ยป

"England is among the countries that fan the flames with their heavy propaganda, which is against all diplomatic norms," Mohseni-Ezhei was quoted as saying by the semiofficial Fars news agency. "And the BBC Farsi has also played a major role. Also, a number of people carrying British passports have played a role in the recent disturbances."

In addition, the Iranian government is claiming that Neda, the woman who's death has been seen worldwide by now, was the victim of a "Terrorist" group looking to avenge one of their members and mistook Neda for that man's sister.

Yeah, sure....all the others beaten, shot and teargassed must have been mistaken terrorist targets as well.

It's only a matter of time before they merge their stories into British terrorists killed her.

Amazing that Obama's low-key response has kept the United States from being the obvious scapegoat here...I thought for sure som "evidence" would have been unearthed that the US was the dastardly culprit behind the unrest.

Oh well, we can always get blamed by Chavez for everything, so we dont feel completely left out of the world stage.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many people have accused Obama of not doing enough in this crisis.... I think they fail to see the benefits of his caution, the British are not so lucky.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Well we have a slightly longer history with the buggers, so we're easy targets. Plus we have their only comedian.

Not that I'd dismiss all their claims out of hand. I mean I wouldn't put it past MI6, the CIA or even Mossad from stirring it up a little behind the scenes, but I can't see them being solely responsible, even if they are involved. Mind you, at that level of sneaky jiggery buggery, there's no telling what they might or might not be up to, but you can be reasonably confident they won't be walking around with British passports in their back pockets.

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Osama has been far too idle in this crisis.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Osama has been far too idle in this crisis.

^Eh? [Confused]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps