Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Re-evaluation -America Won the Vietnam War ! - (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Re-evaluation -America Won the Vietnam War ! -
shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
Maybe because I'm Canadian.

Thats gotta be it [Wink]

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shikaru808:
I'm actually quite flabbergasted as to how you haven't been banned yet. Also, being a current member of that wonderful organization you call "the Army", ONLY 58,000 KIA isn't a very good number.

You really suck at life.

I'm not sure stupidity and/or ignorance are bannable offences.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm not about to dismiss esecallum's post as incoherent and him as a flame troll and wonder 'why he isn't banned yet'."

It is incoherent, though. It's hard to argue with that.

But, if we are going to take him seriously, I would point out that, if you manage to kill ten times as many of your enemy as they kill of you, and yet they still manage to force you out of their country and stay in power for the next 35+ years, that's super-losing.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by esecallum:

I revisted this war.After studying it for 1 week I came to an astonishing conclusion!

It is no longer about territory.It is about how many were killed.

A simplistic view of war from a simplistic mind. I wish I could study a single topic for a week and then deem myself an expert. Esecallum should apply that philosophy to motorcycles, he'd be the newest member of ride2die.com.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know I should point out that a while back I did a little research on our friend here and he pulled a similar stunt on some conspiracy theory forum. Most of the members simply laughed off his post. When the guys with tin foil hats don't take you seriously, then you know your fucked.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well yeah it is "incoherent" in the context of the post. But has anyone considered that he is deliberately taking a simplistic view? After all, the Iraq war was started by a simpleton with a simplistic view himself.

The point I see is not about how many people were killed in the Vietnam and Iraq/Afghanistan wars, it's about how some people WANT to see the war as winnable ones when it is clearly not (evidenced by Dubya's early "Mission Accomplished" celebration). Both wars are clearly clusterfucks. But there are some people who would probably say the same thing that esecallum is. If anything, esecallum is simply pointing out that such viewpoints do exist. I for one don't agree with the viewpoint, but I can see how some people would think that way and always find a way to declare that "AMERICA ROKZ AN RULZ".

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
Does the JJ-Ent's nacelles have enough room to at least flip 90 degrees out?

Actually, upon looking at my Playmate's Model of the JJ-Prise...they do... [Eek!]

E, going by your reasoning the Confederacy won the American Civil War. Also, The Central Powers won WWI, as 5,711,696 Allies were killed, as opposed to 4,010,241 for the Central Powers. Anyone who has picked up a 4th grade history book will prove otherwise. [Roll Eyes]

Also, If I were to play along here, and actually attempt to discuss your theory, then I'd have to point out that not all deaths on battlefields are caused by bullets bombs and hand grenades. There's also disease. More than half half of American Fatalities in WWI were caused by disease or accidents. So, in theory, an "Enemy of America" could kill 400 Americans in battle, and only 100 die of disease. American soldiers could have killed 200 of the enemy, with 600 Enemy dying from disease. Would America be considered "the winner" then?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I He brought out an interesting point, and that is how the U.S. has behaved from the Vietnam War to present day. Maybe it's me, but I wonder if the lessons of Vietnam were even learned in the first place.

Well, the lone exception being the elder-Bush's handling of the Kuwait war: he managed to build a coalition of allies, maintain a very high public support base and severely limit the press's reporting from the theatre of battle.
He only fucked up in forcing General Schwartzkopf (sp?) to negotiate the cease fire- something outside his skill-set, which was a diasater.

Where did his kid go so wrong?

esecallum
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:

E, going by your reasoning the Confederacy won the American Civil War. Also, The Central Powers won WWI, as 5,711,696 Allies were killed, as opposed to 4,010,241 for the Central Powers. Anyone who has picked up a 4th grade history book will prove otherwise. [Roll Eyes]

Also, If I were to play along here, and actually attempt to discuss your theory, then I'd have to point out that not all deaths on battlefields are caused by bullets bombs and hand grenades. There's also disease. More than half half of American Fatalities in WWI were caused by disease or accidents. So, in theory, an "Enemy of America" could kill 400 Americans in battle, and only 100 die of disease. American soldiers could have killed 200 of the enemy, with 600 Enemy dying from disease. Would America be considered "the winner" then?

Sean,I just told you it only applies from after 1945.Have you got Alzheimers?
Can you not remember what you read?

learn to read.I said this law applies only after 1945.

Your examples don't count as were before 1945.

Understood?

We did win the Vietnam War.The final phase that forced the NVA to sign the Paris Peace accord was Operation Linebacker. This started in roughly April 72, it was the bombing of the North. We owned the skies over north vietnam and we bombed them into the dark ages.

We won every single major engagement with the Vietcong.

We destroyed their cities.We controlled the skies.

Not a single Vietcong bullet landed on American soil.

We could act with impunity.

They always attack us first.We are defending.USA does not fire first.We have rules of engagement.

Communism is dead.The Soviets imploded from within.

Vietnam is ruled by tyrants and the natives are held in control by fear and the secret police.They are very poor.

I am sick and tired of your Bashing of America.

Why?

Explain that.

America saved Europe from Hitler,Communists and Terrorists.We gave you Marshall Plan Aid.

We rebuilt you.

Remember that when you are in bed tonight staring at the dark ceiling.

This is how you repay us?

Do you have an ounce of decency in you?

Churchil was on his knees begging USA to save you lot.You were down to your last bullet.We sent you food parcels,clothes,logistical support.

You are ungrateful.

REMEMBER AMERICA IS THE ONLY INVINCIBLE BASTION OF FREEDOM.

Without America it would be over run by barbarians and retrogrades.We would be in the stone age being beheaded by you know who.

IP: Logged
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I'm stupid (No doubt in his next post E will tell me that I am), but who are you talking about when you say "you know who"? Voldemort?

Well a rinky-dinky-doo and an America, fuck YEAH! as the song goes. Capitalism won and killed a shitload of people in the process, thereby winning everything that it can: War, Peace, Sport, Advertising, Harry Potter, Sex etc. Yay! Go America. big thumbs up E! You done good. We can now rewrite the history of the world to show the truth. Because you're right. There is a world conspiracy against America. I admit it.

Woh. What the fuck is this guy? Seriously, why am I even asking this?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the hell, I'm gonna go for the big one here. E, can I caome stay in your wooden shack with you and all the parcel bombs you've not yet sent out. I'm short a few quid at the moment and could use a holiday in the woods.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm not about to dismiss esecallum's post as incoherent and him as a flame troll and wonder "why he isn't banned yet".

Ok, I'm going to. The guy* is a troll. He isn't posting these things up to be satirical, he isn't posting them up to bring out any interesting points, he's posting to flame, to bait, and to stoke the fires further by occasionally contributing more rubbish that would have to tunnel upwards for three days before it hit the bottom end of "stupid".

There is no deeper meaning here, no hidden code, no well-disguised intent to introduce a meaningful conversation. It's rambling pish, the only calculated aspect of which is the intent to annoy people with preposterous arguments. You might as well listen to a drunk tramp and try to divine meaning from his mutterings, or watch "Spongebob Squarepants" and try to take away some deeper insights into the study of symbolic logic. It. Just. Won't. Happen.

Why?

Because he's a troll. There is nothing behind the curtain on this one. America didn't win the Vietnam war. The only time Churchill was ever on his knees was when he keeled over from drinking too much. The past is the past, and trying to stir up an argument over jingoistic nonsense won't change that. It also won't change the fact that when you get right down to it, no-one wins a war. One side or another might claim victory, but in fact all they are doing is declaring that they lost less than the other folks. It's the biggest mistake in the history of human civilization, and the nasty joke is that it's a mistake that we all can't stop making. Much like encouraging Esecallum.

Discuss anything you like, but please, let's not dance around pretending that the guy is something that he's not.

* Or girl, could be either, and I don't mean to discriminate. I'm fully willing to adopt an "equal opportunities" approach to this matter and accept that both men and women can be annoying trolls should they so choose. I just went with "guy" because it was easier than typing "Guy/Girl" all the time. And less confrontational than "arsehole".

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asstroll, ma'am. Asstroll. Not nessessary to sugar coat anything, my dear.

actually i'm more curious. what is E's political denomination? Liberarian?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...Ma'am? :-) My dear? :-)

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by esecallum:
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:

Sean,I just told you it only applies from after 1945.Have you got Alzheimers?
Can you not remember what you read?

learn to read.I said this law applies only after 1945.

Your examples don't count as were before 1945.

Understood?

Yeah, E, I understand that your reasoning allows the US to "win" some of the most controversial wars of the past century, where America was clearly not the victor, in order for America to seem like it rules the world. As a student of history,and a proud American, I can tell you that we are not the end-all be all of the world. And no amount of theorizing or posting complete bullshit on the internet will change that. We didn't claim victory. So what? We learned form our mistakes, and next time, if there is a next time, we'll do things differently.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps