Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Some people might've thought it was easy...

Author Topic: Some people might've thought it was easy...
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You think you can just jump in and go,what do you suppose his insurance company said to him?

And let's throw in some alcohol consumption!

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Not only did he destroy his new toy in 60 seconds, but he might be liable for criminal charges. Aren't there laws about flying without a license, flying without filing a flight plan, and so on?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's amazing what a tiny little ball that thing crumpled up into. The cameraman's pretty lucky the wind wasn't blowing his direction.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looked black during takeoff, so it seems the entire outer hull of it was stripped off in the crash and tumble. Amazing the pilot didn't break his back or neck.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Score one for stupidity.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I want to know is, what idiots failed to talk him out of it? It looked like there was a good half dozen of them standing around watching him trying to get someone killed.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If only he'd gone a little higher, we'd have another candidate for the Darwin Awards.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
What I want to know is, what idiots failed to talk him out of it? It looked like there was a good half dozen of them standing around watching him trying to get someone killed.

Would you want to run up to a helicopter when the rotors were spinning and the pilot was hell bent on taking off? Air traffic control might have denied him, but the shmuck in the tower probably didn't know the pilot was just a student, if the pilot was even in contact with them. That's one of those times where it's safer to back off and let stupid people be stupid.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looked like the people who showed up after the crash were other pilots or employees of the airport. They seemed to know the cameraman or someone else off camera, but didn't seem to be involved until they saw and heard the copter flopping around. But yah... the cameraman and whoever else is talking should have physically restrained him instead of rolling tape.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. The film only starts when he's already at the controls and has the engine up to speed. If it was me and I couldn't talk him out of it or restrain him, then I'd walk right off site and not look back. Sticking around and watching makes a person partly responsible IMO. Standing there and filming it, knowing what's liable to happen is just immoral.

I shan't go into details, but I've been present when someone wanted to do something very foolish and potentially life threatening before. Fortunately the threat "if you're doing that, I'll walk away" was sufficient to make that person re-consider.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Da_bang80:
Would you want to run up to a helicopter when the rotors were spinning and the pilot was hell bent on taking off? Air traffic control might have denied him, but the shmuck in the tower probably didn't know the pilot was just a student, if the pilot was even in contact with them. That's one of those times where it's safer to back off and let stupid people be stupid.

Looks like it was just a small general aviation airport. Most likely it doesn't have a tower.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps