Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Ode to the joys of...

Author Topic: Ode to the joys of...
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FUCKFUCKFUCKQ!

or as my dad plans to do, create a T-shirt with the logo:
^%$#@&^%$#
(Retirement)

as i sit on my ass at the hotel room that my dad gratiously extended for me becuase i still have business in town a day or two before i leave, i reflect on my adventures since i offically started my Terminal leave before retirement from the Navy.

fuckfuckfuck.

this was what i was saying after fucking away an appointment to Household goods this morn. 'you have make an appointment online, sir.'

fuckfuckfuck, i wanted to put my fist into her fat face. Red tape. gotta fucking love it. Why could they not make an appointment THERE? Hello? you have the fucking appointment book right fucking there, you cow! Holy fucking shit, Goverment can be truly the left side of retarded...

Now, i have to plan to factor another appointment to the next time i have to return the Communist state of Virginia (im not sure who used this term but i've adopted it as such) in addtion to going back to TAP class (and the very last trip for my DD214 & retiree ID card)...

i hate red tape.

So what are your horror stories as civilians dealing with red tape. I ask because, as a long serving military member, huh... im stupid on how to deal with the subject, thus my VERY undiplomatic thoughts on red tape...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the key to remember is that "customer service" is pretty much the same everywhere: that is... there is no thing as actual customer service anymore. Customer Service is the term companies use to define the group of people they pay to tell you what cannot be done to remedy your problem.

Whenever I have to do something that I anticipate will involve dealing these kinds of situations, I usually make a phone call ahead of time ask undoubtedly idiotic-sounding questions designed to make sure I have everything I need when I actually show up to deal with whatever the situation is, and thus waste as little of my time and/or energy as possible.

A good example of this is dealing with the DMV wen renewing my license. If the form I get doesn't specifically spell out what I need to bring with me, I call them and make them tell me. Then I get their name to try and make them feel personally responsible for their answers.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, there is such a thing as customer service. As Carlin put it. You know....*mimes anal rape* Service. But, I mean, you know, I've worked in customer-related capacities, for minimum wage, for people I hated, and all that made me treat customers like shit. It really isn't the random person you're dealing with's fault; they've got their stupid little rules to follow and they don't give a shit about you cuz they hate their job, cuz their bosses are paying them as little as they can get away with for as much work (or, at least, the most thankless work) as they can force them to do.

Did that just turn into a rant against free capitalism...?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A good example of this is dealing with the DMV wen renewing my license. If the form I get doesn't specifically spell out what I need to bring with me, I call them and make them tell me. Then I get their name to try and make them feel personally responsible for their answers.
Speaking as someone who used to work in customer service, I hate people like you! [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking as someone who works in a job where the working environment and corporate policy actually encourages excellent customer service, I've got a saying of my own:

"Customer service" means that I will bend over backwards to help you out. It doesn't mean that I will bend forwards and grab my ankles for you.

There's a lot of shitty bureaucracy out there. But sometimes (and I'm not saying this is one of those times) there's a reason for certain procedures. They might not make sense up front, so it's their job to make sure they help you understand why they want you to do it a certain way... and to make it reasonable and easy to do it that way.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me, as a current military member, red tape is also known as ROE around here in the Army (Rules of Engagement)

Take for example:

Some of our convoys been taking semi-effective RPG fire from somewhere inside the town close by the route. Intel thinks that its the work of just one dude so we were assigned to "take care" of him.

The current ROE sent out by by our higher-ups was very specific as to avoid civilian casualties. If we saw this man walking around with the RPG, we were not allowed to shoot him; reason being that he wasn't posing a direct threat at us and therefore (on paper) harmless. However, if he POINTED the RPG at us we were in full authority to shoot him because of the danger he posed to everyone. But if he FIRED the RPG at us, we were not allowed to shoot again because, technically, the guy would be unarmed.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the stupidity of the US Army.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
So what are your horror stories as civilians dealing with red tape. I ask because, as a long serving military member, huh... im stupid on how to deal with the subject, thus my VERY undiplomatic thoughts on red tape...

Almost seven years of my leg being fucked up and having taken literally thousands of narcotic pills, having spent all my savings and all my 401K in out-of-pocket expenses and why?

Because the procedures that would have fixed my leg years ago were deemed "experimental" not by a doctor, but by an accountant that sets the reinbursment guidelines for Blue Cross.

Since all this started I've learned many tips and tricks from doctor's secretaries and hospital officials- best of which is this:
When dealing with someone on the phone, make them give you their full name and twell them it's for the record you're keeping of the conversation- hey record all calls and SO SHOULD YOU (at least on paper).
Making them aware that you're keeping track of everyting and that you're not a sap sets the tone for your conversation and prevents the phone agent from lying to you (and brother, I've been flat-out lied to many times!).

BUt dealing with red tape makes me more sympathetic to those having to field the inevitable angey calls- so I'm extra polite and occasionally ask "Exactly wh should I be yelling at over this? Can you please put them on?" [Wink]

On the other claw....

I work in Customer Service- I'm really good at it too.
But there are limits and mine are cell phones- anyone comes up while talking on their phone and I just whisper "Let me know when you're done with your conversation" and walk away.
If they persist, I just say "I dont want to interrupt your conversation- I'l need your attention to take an accurate order"
and then I walk away again. [Smile]

Also, I'm NOT A MIND READER. If you have no idea what you want, when you need it or how much you can spend, I cant help you: I dont know how your friend's project looked or where it was made by your describing it.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had more success once i attened the DVA workship at Oceana yesterday. filed the required paperwork, dropped off my original medical records to the DVA office (bye-bye forkliftable medical records)...

and now i'm istting on my ass in Ocean City. this tourist shit is cool (but i already sence the 'fuck you' vibs when i ask the hotel people questions...)

or is it that beachside Marylanders are intruscally assholes? o.O

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
It really isn't the random person you're dealing with's fault; they've got their stupid little rules to follow...

This is true. And it's the reason I always try to treat customer service people nicely. But I can only listen to a script being read to me in broken English for so long before I start to lose all faith in my efforts. And that script they have in front of them is the biggest problem.

Perfect example: When I ordered my new Adobe software recently, the order got all screwed up for about two weeks (they had actually canceled my order and then reordered it for me without telling me). I finally cleared it up and made the guy promise me that I'd receive shipment confirmation and a tracking number by email. He said yes, then ended the conversation by asking if it was ok if Adobe contacted me by email regarding this matter. I know it was on his stupid script and that they would've docked his pay or something if he didn't ask it... but come on... can we not even pretend we're having a regular human conversation?

There was no effort to solve my problem for me, only to get me off the phone.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize this isn't the path most people take, but that's one more reason to either pirate Adobe or switch to The GIMP. (Or Inkscape or whatever, depending on which Adobe product you were talking about.)
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, because when GM gives you shitty service, your best bet is to get a Trabant instead. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

lol I love the GIMP. I think people who refuse to learn new interfaces and insist the program they're used to is intrinsically 'better' are just stubborn [Smile]
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Well, when you use these things professionally, the fact that everyone else on the planet uses the software you're used to also enters into the equation.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps