Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Korean War, anyone? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Korean War, anyone?
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I beat you with my Mind Control Ray.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROFLcopter! Kim thinks i'm at work, too [Big Grin]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Well, that all depends on your definition of credible.

As to the rest, assuming that South Korea did it, why hide away the soldiers? They'd be a potential information leak, just have them go down with the ship. Second, there's no reason to assume that if South Korea faked it, that they *must* have faked it in order to start a war. Third, there's no reason to assume that if the situation was faked, that South Korea necessarily faked it.

(I would also add, that if we go with your "rogue submarine captain" theory, that a captain from Israel or the US sounds more likely than Japan or the Philippines since they're further from the area and have more to gain)

That's the flaw with all such conspiracy theories- peple love ecrets and can never keep them-
There would already be soldiers (o their families) coming forward to expose such a fake.

And really, to what motive would south Korea do this? It hurts their econemy and kills the party in power to be unable to answer the public outcry for some response.

Contrast that with al the reasons the North has for doing this- they might be looking for an excus to withdraw from the world stage for a time to consolodate their hierarchy-
It seems Kim's brother just got a big promotion into a military job and Kim's eldest son is kinda a slacker, so they need some time to get their shit together.
That's the word bn the street, anyway. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aha, the plot fickens.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The game is afoot.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a twit!
Teh PW
Member # 1203

Where's the beef? o.O

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the cows have come home to roost.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well this has been throughly disapointing- a fizzle instead of a forest fire.

Maybe they're waiting for that lousy BP oil spill to quit hogging all the headlines...

Nim
Member # 205

NK reaches new low in saber rattling.

quote:
North Korea said it is examining what "additional" steps it will take against Aijalon Mahli Gomes, an American man who has been sentenced to eight years hard labor for illegally entering North Korea. He was arrested after crossing the North Korea-China border on January 25.

"The U.S. government is requesting the DPRK to leniently set him free from a humanitarian stand, but such thing can never happen under the prevailing situation and there remains only the issue of what harsher punishment will be meted out to him.

If the U.S. persists in its hostile approach toward the DPRK, the latter will naturally be compelled to consider the issue of applying a wartime law to him,"
the new agency reported.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Korean War - is THAT thing still going on?"

I actually heard a guy on the street say this before he realized how dumb it sounded. [Razz]

Mark

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

You should have fucked with his head- you could have said there was an Bin Laden is in North Korea and we're planning an invasion.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Member # 1203

...jesus i though that boat was a covette... it looked as big as a FFG. and that torp cut it in half? o.O
Nim
Member # 205

Here are some recent, depressing insights from CIA director Leon Panetta:

quote:
Regarding another nuclear "rogue" state -- North Korea -- Panetta said the question of who will succeed leader Kim Jong Il is likely behind recent military acts such as the alleged sinking of a South Korean navy ship.
"I think that could have been part of it, in order to establish credibility for his son," Panetta said of a likely successor, adding: "His son is very young. His son is very untested. His son is loyal to his father and to North Korea, but his son does not have the kind of credibility with the military, because nobody really knows what he's going to be like."

However, Panetta said he doubted there would be further escalation, noting that "in the end, they always back away from the brink, and I think they'll do that now."

I don't mean that avoiding a war with potentially horrendous collateral damage is depressing, but if things are like Panetta says, NK is criminally cynical. Blowing up a ship with a hundred men onboard, just to groom your heir in the eyes of his peers (counting on never being held accountable for it), that's pretty damn nasty. That's something out of the first 15 minutes of a Bond movie, pardon the black/white analogy.
Teh PW
Member # 1203

quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Here are some recent, depressing insights from CIA director Leon Panetta:

quote:
Regarding another nuclear "rogue" state -- North Korea -- Panetta said the question of who will succeed leader Kim Jong Il is likely behind recent military acts such as the alleged sinking of a South Korean navy ship.
"I think that could have been part of it, in order to establish credibility for his son," Panetta said of a likely successor, adding: "His son is very young. His son is very untested. His son is loyal to his father and to North Korea, but his son does not have the kind of credibility with the military, because nobody really knows what he's going to be like."

However, Panetta said he doubted there would be further escalation, noting that "in the end, they always back away from the brink, and I think they'll do that now."

I don't mean that avoiding a war with potentially horrendous collateral damage is depressing, but if things are like Panetta says, NK is criminally cynical. Blowing up a ship with a hundred men onboard, just to groom your heir in the eyes of his peers (counting on never being held accountable for it), that's pretty damn nasty. That's something out of the first 15 minutes of a Bond movie, pardon the black/white analogy.
Tell that to the 40-odd souls who didn't return home. Only thing saving them from invasion is the fact we're busy elsewhere in the world... Ok, South Korea's leader has be eating a really fucking huge chunk of ROLLAIDS right now because what they have to stomach... BUT, assume that the Nkorean migdet-fisting sub doesn't get the warbook right & they shoot a torp at a US vessel... and Hit...

no choice. We'll tell China that they can help, we won't use NBC weaps, but we'll fucking bomb the shit out of them...

O.o

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.