Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A disgrace to the name Enterprise (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A disgrace to the name Enterprise
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/915685--u-s-officer-to-lose-command-for-inappropriate-videos?bn=1

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone on the ship complain when the videos were shown? If not, then it seems like they're coming down a little harshly on the guy. Sure it's inappropriate, but that's sometimes the point of humor.

These videos were apparently well known. It seems the only reason he's been fired is because the videos leaked to the public and the Navy wants a scapegoat.

Should he have made the videos in the first place? No. But the punishment doesn't seem to fit the offense.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/10/3956/49.html#000726 your a couple days late, Salty... some folks on FB think it was someone who was passed over for promotion thus backstabbing for 36d10+65 points of lethal Political damage. Cause the date of the video is either before or after Ike relieved the Big E. If anything it just makes the job even more stupid for Media types on ship becuase they might not want to make anything other than bland news, canned news from 'official' sources or Bingo Night. i dont think you can fuck away Bingo Night but all the funny skits (usually by the Safety dept) will likely go away.

shame. the Navy i knew as a recruit was nothing like it is now, or was 6 months ago. Yep, The Virgian-Pilot loves to FUCK OVER NAVY folk with a spoon...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the article, the bloke was the XO back when the videos were done and were broadcast to the whole crew, so if the US Admiralty really have a problem with this, shouldn't whoever the CO was at the time be getting a reprimand too?

Honestly though it sounds completely harmless and quite tame compared to my experience with "military humour". I tend to agree that they're only kicking up a fuss because it got out to the public and now they're feeling a need to keep up appearances.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see...so military people aren't allowed to let their hair down and have fun? What a load of tosh.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were several complaints back thten that were brushed off- only now are those getting attention.

As to "letting their hair down and have fun", making fun of gays is a great way to implicitly condone their harassment.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. There's a difference between not being PC and being bigoted. This guy did cross that line. And if there WERE complaints but they were brushed aside, then that's an entirely different story...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, totally. Hmm, this is looking bad...

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh good grief. This is such a load of crap. I watched the videos, and it's silly, low-budget stuff, some of it even funny. Glenn Close even participates.

The disgrace is that the US freakin' Navy busted a Captain for having once had a sense of humor.

I truly hate how in this day and age nobody's allowed to be a comedian except comedians without the media getting their panties in a twist. (Hell, even that phrasing might do it for them!)

Frankly, if this is the sort of thing they relieve commanding officers for, I have lost faith not in the Captain's ability to command, but in the Navy's ability to defend.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Teh PW
Member # 1203

now that i think about it, i guess, maybe, had Capt Honors considered those videos as potentially bad to his career, that he would have retired at 20 years, at the 1st oppertunity, instead of taking command of the Big E. maybe saving face for himself & the navy.

uh, nope. He's a aviator, a career command-minded individual, who cared about his crew. he said Pussy GAY ASS SWO's right? that most is a slap to gays but to most hetro-probably christian folks who really arent tollerant of that sorta thing, thanks to the truely weird shit that flaming gays pull, thus why most folks are still intollerant to outright bigots. The few gays i know are nothing like the sideshow Mary's on Jerry Springer, (To me they are mom's, dad's, what ever. you know, NORMAL?) but i dont think some folks can make the distinction.

but... but... he was bashing SWO's

i think they stopped it (or at least restricted who got to see it) but IKE's folks that did flight sked's included a single panel joke (usually a photoshopped Far Side or soemthing) that sometimes had running gags about Surface Warfair Officers & the rivally between them & aviators. or how several XO's ago, how much they smoked, during UNREPs, or all the jokes about the RO (got congratulated on making Capt just as the boat scams both reactors)... really funny shit. and yet, now, pretty sure they probably dont even do that, out of fear that someone might cry fowl and get in trouble...

im rambling. though i think it's proper that he was relieved (he should have never took the job, instead talking with his bosses about it, the risks), it wasnt his intention to say a mighty 'GO FUCK YOUR SELF non-hetro's!', he still got screwed. probably by someone who either got kicked out by DADT or by someone who got passed over for promotion... i most certainly sence flanking & ranged backstabbing damage 65D6 points of damage taken by Capt Honors, the crew of the Enterprise & the Navy as well...

--------------------

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
snip

I completely agree with you. This is on the extreme end of political correctness spectrum. At most the guy should be getting a reprimand on his service jacket. If people had that big of an issue with these dumb videos, I'm sure there are proper channels to go through without throwing the guy under a bus on CNN.

--------------------
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

Teh PW
Member # 1203

ROFL, under the bus. That shit was common on Ike.

--------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew once of a video posted to YouTube made by a NFO I knew. The net-nannies at the Pentagon found out. The video got pulled right away to keep anyone from getting in trouble. After all, videos showing sailors having fun would clash with the serious tone you see in recruiting commercials.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
Oh good grief. This is such a load of crap. I watched the videos, and it's silly, low-budget stuff, some of it even funny. Glenn Close even participates.

Bullshit.
Her image was clipped from some interview she had nothing to do with it and has some out against the stupid thing.

Anyone can be edited to look like they're "participating" in such nonsense- just loki at youtube.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, she was filmed in his chair, with a hat and the parakeet. It's not some super-Photoshop action.

I'm not suggesting that anyone who participates in low-budget local stuff agrees with all that came before or after. She was involved in no more than what she did. If you get hired to appear in a company's commercial, does that imply your support of all that they do and all their commercials before or after?

So like I said, "it's silly, low-budget stuff, some of it even funny. Glenn Close even participates."

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.