Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » *Tweet* My very 1st & very Fatally Last Congress on the Corner... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: *Tweet* My very 1st & very Fatally Last Congress on the Corner...
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40978517/ns/politics/

wow. Looks like Arizona needs a new congressman. Kinda hard to legislate with a bullet in your head (and several also dead assistants. Jason, still think we need the 2nd admendment, as is?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite part is how in the last election, the teabaggers used lots of gun targeting analogies for the people they didn't like. And they talk about "revolution" and getting rid of those who disagree with them. Well, this is the beginning of that fallout. Anyone who didn't see it coming was deluding themselves.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a shame, I was hoping she would have pulled through.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40978517/ns/politics/

wow. Looks like Arizona needs a new congressman. Kinda hard to legislate with a bullet in your head (and several also dead assistants. Jason, still think we need the 2nd admendment, as is?

Er...you got the wrong poster, guy.
I hate our gun laws- here in Flori-Duh it's jsut as bad as Arizona. Maybe worse with the "stand your ground law".

I really think that, despite the sheriff's statement taht the congresswoman was targeted, that the Federal Judge was the main target.
The shooter had been questioned in 07' by federal marshalls for saying that judge "needs to be killed".
It seems that judge had allowed a civil rights violation lawsuit to proceed against some local rancher, which got the local right-wing nutter radio shows ramping up the rhetoric and having callers voice their death threats against this judge.

The extreme right-wingers have been pushing the possibility of violence as an answer to the country's problems- and I'd call that inciting violence.

That dingbat Jan Brewer has released a statement saying how "Heartbroken" she is- this after all the lies and fear tactics she's been useing to push her discriminatory Immigration Law.
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
My favorite part is how in the last election, the teabaggers used lots of gun targeting analogies for the people they didn't like. And they talk about "revolution" and getting rid of those who disagree with them. Well, this is the beginning of that fallout. Anyone who didn't see it coming was deluding themselves.

Sarah Palin's website even had a bunch of targets with crosshairs over districts that they were trying to beat.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
What a shame, I was hoping she would have pulled through.

No, she's not dead... the articles aren't saying much at this point, and she's apparently in bad shape, but her condition is apparently not (necessarily) fatal.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Teh PW
Member # 1203

she might as well be dead, with the probable lose of ability she has suffered. You know, they looking for another accomplise, a older man. think his old man dropped him off with no idea WTF he was up too?

or is this gonna turn into Operation: Mindcrime?

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's not dead. Just read it on Space.com. Expected to recover. A 9 year old girl was not so lucky.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Recover" is relative- Jim Brady "recovered" after getting shot too.
I mean, reports are that she was shot through the head.
CNN has good coverage on this.

The sheriff had some choice words to say, which are as true as they sad.
quote:
"This has not become the nice United States of America that most of us grew up in and I think its time we do the soul-searching," he said.

"The anger, the hatred the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous and unfortunately, Arizona has become the capital. We have become the mecca of prejudice and bigotry."

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah that sheriff was phenomenal.
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so sad, and a 9 year old girl was killed, her life barely begun. [Frown] The world is a strange place, and the human race cruel at times.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
"Recover" is relative- Jim Brady "recovered" after getting shot too.
I mean, reports are that she was shot through the head.

And Phineas Gage took a railroad spike through the brain, and recovered fully. He had severe personality changes, but he recovered his abilities and memories. And this predates modern surgical techniques as well.

The thing with injuries like this is, there's really no telling what will happen until the swelling goes down. Last time she was awake (before they coma-tized her to give her time to recover) she was able to recognize her husband and respond to simple commands. That's a good start, at least.

As for the politics of it, all I have to say is that this shit doesn't happen in a vacuum, and the people who have contributed to this culture of violence need to own up to their parts of it. (In re: Palin removing her "target" map from the Web: My seven-year-old cousin knows that when you put things on the Internet, you can never truly delete them. Why doesn't she? It would be so much classier for her to say "yeah, they went too far" than it is to pretend that either the map didn't exist or that they're surveyors' marks. Especially since she's described them as bulls-eyes in the past.)

Also, can I say how sick and fucking tired I am of hearing the shooter dismissed as "just a crazy?" I'm crazy. That doesn't make me a murderer.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm tired of hearing how the world is sliding into moral blackness every time somebody gets shot. People have always killed each other, and people have even always killed each other randomly and senselessly. It will happen again too. I can't pretend to be *appalled* that something like this would happen, no matter how *tragic* it is, nor can I pretend that it's the 'fault' of some particular group of people (no matter how vague and nebulous that group is imagined to be) or political ideology or state of moral decay. I mean, so what if the shooter isn't 'crazy' or IS 'crazy'? What are we gonna do, pump pure Goodness into people's hearts so Evil doesn't happen? Of course we're gonna dismiss it. It's dismissible. I (Which according to spellcheck isn't a word, but it SHOULD be.) It happens *every day.* This time just happened to involve a prominent person so we all hear about it and talk about it.

So..y'know. My two cents. ...On the internet, so I guess it's worth even less [Razz]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And this whackjob decides to show up.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fred Phelps and his entire family should be locked away from the general public. [Mad]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Teh PW
Member # 1203

If they keep it up (and something along the lines of accusations of Incest or other evil-doing occurs), they just might see jail time for soemthing. I assume they are NOT officially part of the catholic church/methodist/spegetti-fucking organizations, are they?

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps