Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders!

Author Topic: You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders!
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most famous is, "Never get involved in a land war in Asia."

Seriously, you can't make this stuff up. Any geek worth their salt could've told him that ten years ago.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he's retiring so that his coment to others, when 'Go fuck yourself & your idiot ideas about how to wage war' is too, uh, PC.

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well at least he's being honest.

Incidentally, I don't know how yanks use the term "PC", but to my knowledge it's not meant to be a stand-in for 'impolite', 'insensitive', 'obnoxious' or (in some cases it seems) 'truthful-but-it-hurts-my-feelings'. Last I checked it had more to do with re-nameing certain things so they weren't so prejudicial; from the sensible 'humankind' instead of 'mankind' to the rather silly (and double entendre ridden) 'personhole' instead of 'manhole'.

I think some have just gotten the term confused with 'politically unwise' which is a whole other thing...and not even applicable in this case since the bloke's retiring and can say what he pleases.

I have to say though, the way he talks about "finding inspiring work" for soldiers is a little worrying. It almost suggests the idea that going and starting a war because the officer corps are getting bored is a good idea.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
“In my opinion, any future defense secretary who advises the president to again send a big American land army into Asia or into the Middle East or Africa should ‘have his head examined,’ as General MacArthur so delicately put it,” Mr. Gates told an assembly of Army cadets here.

I think that might be a shot at Donald Rumsfeld-Rummy just wrote a self-serving bio declaring that it was all worth it and he was always right- about everything always, amen.

The guy is fuckin nuts.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps