Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Arbitrary capital punishment in the US

Author Topic: Arbitrary capital punishment in the US
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stanford professor analyzes 34 years of murder cases, deems death sentences handed out totally arbitrary: "no rational distinction between inmates on death row and the equally violent offenders who were not sentenced to death"

quote:
...a major review of the American system of capital punishment in 2011 found, all across the country, just what Professor Donahue and his students did in Connecticut: the death penalty is still a matter of bad luck, bad lawyers, race and geography

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I think I would rather be humanely executed than live the rest of my life in prison. (Not that I ever plan on doing anything that would cause me to be faced with such a choice, natch.)

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...even the most determined fan of the death penalty would likely not approve of executing the mentally ill, the very young, or those who made only one terrible error and are deeply remorseful."

Um... Have you heard of Texas?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They need to factor in election years and media coverage into their findings- nothing arbitrary about judges wanting to appear tough on crime in the media.

They need to also facor in defendant's race and social class, as well as that of the jury.
Then factor in premeditation, remorse, how long it's been snce the judge got laid, etc.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps