Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » PRESIDENTIAL RACE? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: PRESIDENTIAL RACE?
shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've been reading, BOTH sides are being torn into fact-wise. I'm an Obama supporter, but it really did look like Romney won this battle.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. It's odd that Obama did not go after romney for some of the bullshit he said though- stuff like the old "death panel" scare tactic or the "he took 700 billion from Medicare" line of crap also went uncontested.

Not to mention other obvious avenues of attack like the whole "47%" thing.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Stephen Colbert's comment on the debate (excerpted from rawstory.com):

quote:
Of course the governor excelled at a debate that was squarely in his area of expertise, “soul-crushing boredom.”

“The first half hour was an orgy of tax policy minutiae, and then, just to spice things down, they move on to the intricacies of medicare solvency. It was off the hook! In that it would have been more interesting to listen to a dial tone.”

Then Colbert examined Mitt’s curious slide to the left on many of his positions.

“I will not reduce the taxes paid by high-income Americans,” Romney insisted in one clip.

“Regulation is essential. You can’t have a functioning free market without regulation,” he said in another.

“Now you know me,” said Colbert, “I’m a staunch conservative and I condemn any Republican who distances themselves from everything he has said on the campaign trail. But it worked, so fuck it.”

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it that the same Republicans that railed against Kerry as a "flip-flopper" support Mitt when, holy shit, he's changed is position on almost every issue.

My doctor and I talked about this and he said "you know, the thing is, if you look at his record, he's really a very moderate guy that works with the other side."
And he's right- looking at his record as governor, I'd have little issue with him as President...except for the fact that he's re-invented himself to be some conservative extremist- and the party, seeing the unease of their base toward Mitt's sudden change of heart, stuck Paul Ryan, an Ayn Rand idolizer, as the running mate.

Of course, Rand herself dies penniless and in a government hospital, being treated for cancer on the taxpayer teat (Medicare, Social Security, etc)...I wonder whay Rayn never brings that part up in his stump speeches?

Moreso, I wonder why no one from the democrats calls them on that shit?

In more crazy news today:
quote:
Rep. Paul Broun, R-Ga., a member, along with Todd Akin, of the very science-y House Science Committee, doesn’t have very much respect for science.

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,” Broun said in a recent speech at the Liberty Baptist Church Sportsman’s Banquet. “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”

Yes, this idiot (and todd akin) is on the House Science Committee....fuck's sake.
Why not just stick a fortune teller and Ms. Cleo on there while they're at it?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally, here's Romney's tax plan.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, between that and his binder full of qualified women-folk, I think he's got a clear plan for victory.

That and telling the same lies over and over, that is.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's rather amusing [Big Grin]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
Member # 205

Well, congratulations all round are in order for you americans in particular, and really the rest of the world in general. Let's do a recap of the last few crazy days and all the wins that ensued:

- Obama wins another four years! And with that, a decent chance to manage all the projects and initiatives that have just barely gotten up to speed at this point, relating to the economy, the environment, LGBT rights and all that wonderful stuff.

- Elizabeth Warren, the bank-busting, regulation-reinventing marvel of a woman, won Massachusetts senatorial race, defeating Scott Brown!

- Tammy Baldwin won Wisconsin, making her the first US openly gay senator! And she'll be in a good position to handle governor Scott Walker and his ideas.

- Richard Mourdock, of "Rape pregnancy is a gift from god" fame, is out of congress, his seat filled by rep. Donnelly (D).

- Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin is out, being replaced by Claire McCaskill (D). COMEDY CENTRAL: "Senate Rape Caucus Devastated"

- Colorado, Washington AND Massachusetts just legalized medicinal marijuana (plus WA gay marriage).

What a frigging week. I have a faint feeling that 2013 is going to be really good.

Nim
Member # 205

Correction: Colorado legalizes marijuana for adults PERIOD, not medicinal. I think the US might just be on the way to disenfranchise mexican/central-american pot smugglers.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a resident a Missouri, I'd just like to point out that Todd Akin wasn't "in" to begin with. McCaskill was already our senator and was reëlected. The good news, of course, is that, to run for the senate, he had to not rerun for the house, so he is out of the congress altogether now. His replacement* is another Republican, but is at least a woman.

*I say "replacement", but Missouri was redistricted this year, so, technically, Akin's district is spread over parts of a couple new districts. But the district he would have been running in still contains, I think, most of the population of his old district.

Nim
Member # 205

Ok well at least rape lingo will cease for the time being, until such a time as he gets voted back into office.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

VERY happy with the results in general- in my state. crazy teabagger Alan West got booted and soon to be incarcerated David Rivera also wont be returning to shame the state in congress.

UNfortunately, Michele Bcahman will be returning to embarass the nation and generally make a fool of herself with her rabid anti-muslim ideas.

On the way home from work last night about 12:30 am, NPR capped Ohio for President Obama and I was yelling "YEEEEAAAA!" in my car- at a stoplight in Hollywood, another car pulled up alongside and I rolled down the window and told them the good news and the guy driving joined in the yelling- when they turned I saw they ahd a "O and Joe" sticker on their car, so I felt doubly good spreading the news.

All day long I've been smiling- just so relieved that Romney did not get in!

Nim
Member # 205

Romney was so confident of his victory, he spent a fortune on victory fireworks. Apparently, the sudden defeat took them completely by surprise.
I had no idea of the extent to which the Romney Campaign was unprepared for the failed turnout. They honestly believed their own propaganda and the inept, skewed Rasmussen/Rove polling estimates into the last moments.

Oh, and bonus decorum for Romney: His campaign immediately canceled all the funds and credit cards for the staffers after the defeat, while they were still on the way back to their beds, forcing them to pay for travel and hotel bills out of their own pockets.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be fair, spending $25 000 on fireworks might be a fortune to other people, but it's probably peanuts to Romney. The credit card thing, though... Now, that's a dick move right there.
Nim
Member # 205

What I find so scary, though, is how Fox News have hit the ground running with sour grapes and insulting and demonizing the US population for its "treachery" of not electing Romney. Many people look to them for guidance, and Fox News tells them it's totally appropriate to not accept a constitutional election, it's even important to do so because the liberal moochers and leeches in the blue states are now destroying america (when in fact the majority of welfare-takers live in the South and are their main audience, but Fox can't tell them that so they have to lie every day).

The most poetic justice, though, as the voting results are analyzed, is how one of the main deciding factors in the Republican defeat was the backfire of its own blatant voter suppression efforts. The attempts to limit minority participation in early voting, especially in Ohio, made the targeted people come out in force during the main vote, and many of the people who normally would've stayed home rose to the occasion as they saw their constitutional rights being infringed upon by the GOP.

It's almost silly, it's like a Disney movie plot. All Obama and the democrats had to do was show the people he was listening and had a pulse, show he was still the right candidate with the right priorities towards national recovery, call Romney out on his flip-flopping, then just watch as the GOP pulled out more and more rope to make their own noose. Like watching a car-crash in slow motion.

And now, post-election, conservatives are RE-DOUBLING their efforts in going after single women (calling them the "slut vote") and minorities, calling for more tax cuts, further showing their party's slipping grip on reality.
I'm hoping for a 2016 Hillary Clinton/Elizabeth Warren ticket. That would just break the back of the senior male christian elite.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps