Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Monarchy flame (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Monarchy flame
RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel like flaming tonight, flaming tonight, flaming tonight *moves arms up and down*

Monarchy is a leftover from ancient times, and highly undemocratic. SO WHY DO WE STILL HAVE A QUEEN?! Sheesh!

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
???

Partly because her parents knew little about birth control, and didn't care if they did.

One advantage with a Monarchy is, since no-one elected them to office, the embarrassment is far less personal if they make a laughing stock of themselves.

--Baloo

------------------
Yo quiero Startrek!

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JERRY, JERRY, JERRY, JERRY, ect.

------------------
Wheeelersburg Correctional Facility
Inmate #05301999

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's good to be the King"

------------------
Here I Come To Save The Day : Mighty Mouse

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not keep the Queen, just for tradition? After all, she's not suppressing anyone anymore, and she doesn't live in luxury at the expense of her people anymore. At least, the monarchy doesn't usually consume much more funding than a president. What is a president useful for anyway? In countries that also have a prime minister (or chancellor) this guy (or lady) is only good for nice speeches.

Somehow I think that abolishing a monarchy is like demolishing old buildings. People are sad about it afterwards, but there's no way back (only exception: Spain).

------------------
Brain. Brain. What is brain? (Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Our queen doesn't pay taxes, has a ridiculous amount of money and still receives more and more. If the queen orders goods from somewhere you're expected NOT to send a bill, that's not done. F that!

Presidents are useless too, but at least tHEy have to do something to become one!

Maybe I'm a left extremist, sorry.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AS Dictator, I will donate 50% of my salary to the Poor Trekker's Website Fund.

Happy?

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

RW
Member # 27

OKAY, okay, I'll quit moaning.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...if she doesn't need to pay to "buy" things, why does she need a salary?

------------------
"I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three on the law become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!"
--John Adams, "1776"

RW
Member # 27

er.. to feel rich?

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The queen mother here has apparently run up an overdraft of �4 million by spending ludicrous amounts of money maintaining palaces that she only lives in for about 3 weeks every year. I don't mind the monarchy, but they need to learn how to reduce their spending because the taxpayer won't be happy to pay for them to keep their lifestyles forever.

------------------
"YOU SMEG!"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RW: Would you allow Bea to stay if she paid taxes and promised to pay her bills?

Otherwise I would grant her asylum in Germany. That would be fair, since you hosted our Willi II.

> Presidents are useless too, but at least tHEy have to do something to become one!

Commonly that is delivering boooooring speeches.

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going to kill the Queen of England!

Who is with me?

*hopes like hell that England doesn't have the kind of laws America has where it is illegal to say you're going to kill the head of state*

------------------
Please don't put your life in the hands of a Rock n Roll band
Who'll throw it all away
So I start the revolution from my bed
Cos you said the brains I have went to my head -

Oasis

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DT: I believe they do. It was nice knowing you!

------------------
Carpe Canem!

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well...technically the point of having a constitutional monarchy is that the elected head of government is separate from the head of state.

This means that the head of state (monarch) is above all the name calling that goes on in election, caucus meetings, etc. But more importantly, if your elected head of government (read: Bill Clinton) makes an ass of him/herself, the head of state can still meet with important foreign people witout being laughed at.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps