Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Song flame 4-academy award

Author Topic: Song flame 4-academy award
RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THAT TERRRRRIBLE SONG FROM PRINCE OF EGYPT WON AN OSCAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHEN YOU BELEE-HEE-HEEVE-OWOWOWOW (which is approximately how it is sung -or howled- by those two awful singers.

[This message was edited by RW on March 22, 1999.]

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I'm familiar with this song. Who are the two awful singers? And I don't believe that Shakespeare in Love did so well at the Academy Awards!

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, so that's who won, I didn't watch that part of the awards. At least that awful song from Armageddon didn't win, I can't stand music groups who shout and scream into a microphone and then pretend its music It's just noise in my opinion.

The two singers for the song from Prince of Egypt are Mariah Carey and Witney Houston, if I remember right.

Now I'm a little confused, because I didn't watch most of the awards. Are these songs in the soundtrack category? Or have they created an all new category just for modern pop songs in movies?

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not again, not a repeat of what happened last year with Celine Dion and that gawd-awful song.......

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(ok, it aint THAT bad, but when radio stations play it at least once every DAY, then it becomes torture to some people)

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RW, when you hear something that doesn't quite complement your taste in music, the least you can do is keep an open mind. You may not like that song, but it's nowhere near "terrible".

------------------
"A fellow's invented see-through film
He calls it 'cellophane!'
Another has built a parachute
For jumping out of an airplane!

Remarkable things flow endlessly
From out the human brain!
Indeed
And what a remarkable age this is!"
--Titanic: the Musical

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hey, I know. But this is a flame board. And in my opinion, it is a terrible song, but if someone else loves it then I respect that.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get me wrong, I don't love the song (or else my rebuttal would've been a lot more passionate. But it's from the same genre of some of my favorite songs, so I thought I'd defend it to some degree.

------------------
"A fellow's invented see-through film
He calls it 'cellophane!'
Another has built a parachute
For jumping out of an airplane!

Remarkable things flow endlessly
From out the human brain!
Indeed
And what a remarkable age this is!"
--Titanic: the Musical

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thoughts on :
"When you Believe": Well, first of all I don't. Second of all, what's with the vocal gymnastics.. can't they just sing the damn words without trying to out-diva each other?

"Shakespeare in Love": Well, I saw it during the week that my hometown theater showed it (us ain't too big on faincy speechin in Southwest Pennsylvania), and it really was a good movie.

"Saving Private Ryan": Best anti-war movie I've ever seen. I truly hope I never see it again. It was that good.

(I figure they split the Picture/Director awards (as they so rarely do) to honor two really good flicks.)

That Bellini (sp?) guy: What fun! Seeing him almost step on Spielberg's head was reason enough to give him the Oscars.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coming from a family with a history of heart disease, I have some doubts as to whether my heart will go on. . . 8)

------------------
Space Corps Directive #723: Terraformers are expressly forbidden from recreating Swindon.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still trying to figure that whole "I'm Jupiter and I want to lay you down and make love to everyone in the audience" thing he did after almost stepping on Speilberg's head.

And my heart will always go on. I'm the Pompatus of Love, after all.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

RW
Member # 27

SPR is an anit-war movie? Then why is the battle at the end so heroic-sensational? Complete with fitting music? I never understood that.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Siegfried: Jupiter (the God, not the Planet) was known for kidnapping ladies (and once, apparently, a man, Ganymede) whom he took a liking to, and taking them to places where he could ravish them uninterrupted. The story of Europa is a good example of this.

RW: In "heroic-sensational" battles, all (or almost all) of the good guys survive. Most of "Ryan"'s men bought it. And not always in any "heroic" manner. Including the main good-guy leader.
(Though its easy to overlook this with the cute blowing-up-the-tank-with-my-pistol?? scene and the "Make it worth it" bit.)

The music? Well, that's movies, son.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

I need to brush up on my Roman mythology. I thought he meant the planet Jupiter. Nevermind, I understand now.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.