Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » What defines Bias? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What defines Bias?
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, well, I console myself with the knowledge that no parrots were involved. . .
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tora: So what do you think about the disaster in Vietnam and the coverage it got compared to some stupid "Disneyland"?

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited November 12, 1999).]

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They do lots of crazy stuff in Hong Kong, like the worlds biggest airport, O did I mention the spot they choose to build it was under water. It's going to take a lot of rock to build that airport. Folks it don't little details like that's isn't possible ruin there fun.

------------------
"Think of all the delightful aspects of the reproductive process: menstruation, pregnancy, labor. And the part we're trying to eliminate is sex?" Cecil Adams the guy who does Straight Dope.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have thought long and hard about this subject.

Bias is often used in a negative context. There is always more news than there is time to report it in. When the Chinese station excluded news about the flood in Viet Nam, it was being insensitive to the Viet Namese audience.

However, Since it does not primarily serve the Viet Namese audience, it may have scrubbed any reference to the flood in favor of news the producers perceived would be of greater interest to their Chinese audience. If there is a sizable population of Vietnamese listeners, they should make an effort to tell the station that they want more Viet Namese news. Radio stations, especially, are sensitive to petitions. They want their listeners to buy their sponsors' products so they can stay in business, and a list of signatures below a list of demands represents a lot of potential listeners who will be more likely to patronize the sponsors' businesses if their demands are met.

If, on the other hand, the Viet Namese community does not regularly listen to that station for news from home, the station is right to put the needs and desires of their regular listeners first. After all, they (indirectly) pay the bills that allow the station to remain in bussiness.

If I go into a Chinese restaurant and ask for a Viet Namese dish, they are not being biased for not having what I want. They are just serving the demand for what they do offer. If a LOT of people come in that restaurant and ask for Viet Namese cuisine, they might consider getting a chef who can prepare those dishes and adding those items to the menu. It's rather the same with radio stations. They'll serve what they perceive their "customers" want the most.

--Baloo

------------------
Remember: pillage before you burn!
-- G. Khan
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tahna: Baloo said it. I'm not really surprised that the station chose to report about something in Hong Kong rather than a flood in Vietnam. First, news about a new Disneyland would probably draw more audience (I'd certainly watch it). And second, your girlfriend is more sensitive to news (or lack of it) about Vietnam. Ask her how she'd feel if the situation were reversed. (Disneyland in Vietnam gets more time than flood in Hong Kong.)

------------------
--Then, said Cranly, do you not intend to become a protestant?
--I said that I had lost the faith, Stephen answered, but not that I had lost self-respect. What kind of liberation would that be to forsake an absurdity which is logical and coherent and to embrace one which is illogical and incoherent?

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it were around 50 people, I'd understand. We're talking about 500 people now. If the Chinese TV gave the deaths of 500 people a 10 second clip, then it would be considered as grossly insensitive. And at this point, if that happened, I'd be terribly upset because of the lack of respect for human life.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps