Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » We're bombing the wrong end of Europe

Author Topic: We're bombing the wrong end of Europe
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just spent an hour on the phone to Hewlett Packard's European call centre in Amsterdam. This has been a regualr feature of late, as I try to persuade them that I actually know when a computer has failed beyond anything I can do to it.

For a start, these people won't raise cases unless you agree to do a lot of tests over the phone - yeah, right - or tell them exactly what the problem is. I had one of their engineers here today (on another matter) and he told me exactly what to tell them. Would they accept the word of their own engineer? Like f*** they would. . .

Then there's the language barrier. These people's command of English is about on a par with my command of Etruscan (for non-classicists, that's a dead language, no-one knows it anymore). I have to repeat everything several times.

Then there's serial numbers. All HP ones begin with 'FR' so I ignore them. They refuse to accept it - after I've again repeated it several times - because it's invalid without the letters 'FR' in front!

It's at this point I announce to my office - and the guy on the phone - that we're bombing the wrong end of Europe. Everyone at work has been in fits over my facial expressions during this conversation, that and the primal scream I let loose with when I finally got to hung up.

And there's still no guarantee I'll get an engineer to come!

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem Lee is that these bas***ds are just like insurance companies. They'll take your money, but when it comes to giving it back or providing the service that they originally promised, they'll make all sorts of f***ing excuses.

They'll come round in the end, but you probably have to keep badgering them.

------------------
WARNING! This heamerroid cream should NOT be taken orally.

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can get one of the B2's to drop by, they would never know what hit them.

------------------
Dramatis Personae

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hold on, where abouts Holland is RW from

------------------
WARNING! This heamerroid cream should NOT be taken orally.

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hm, don't expect office clerks to know English (ironically, they're the ones that should know it..hm) Luckily for you, I am very good at English (wide grin)

I'm about, um.. 60 kilometers from Amsterdam..or was it 80? It can't be more than 100 or I'll be in Germany though. So if you get out a nuke with a 50 kilometer blast radius that'd do nicely. Be sure to take the queen with you.

Orion S: I live in THE NETHERLANDS! NOT IN HOLLAND! :]

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, as if tech support wasn't bad enough without them not speaking the same language as you... Literally.

------------------
"Okay, so I'm not "SANE" so to speak, but uh... I'm the lovable kind of psycho"
http://solareclipse.net/

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.