Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A non-flamanant library flame (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A non-flamanant library flame
Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sits at work in the library*

*stares evilly at the person who took out a reserve book 4 hours ago and should have brought it back in two*

I HATE IT when people don't return their books on time. And I hate it more when their reserve materials, 40 students need to read them, and ONE student comes in and takes out ALL 5 BOOKS and HORDES them for hours on end!

I should fine her. OH, yeah. I should fine her BIG time and then make it so her library card can't work...maybe I should BURN her library card.... oh yeah.......

*growlsnarlgrumble*

------------------
"Sully, for Shame! And don't be foolish! What are we trying to practice every day? If our friendship depends on things like space and time, then when we finally overcome space and time, we've destroyed our own brotherhood! But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see eachother once or twice?"
- Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, look on the bright side. If your library is anything like the one at the university I went to, then those people with overdue reserve books will be paying a fortune for them. At our library is was something like two dollars for every hour that the book was overdue (on a two hour loan). That gets very expensive very quickly.

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
-Grand Admiral Thrawn

IP: Logged
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<Mode gangster>
Moose! Rock-o! Help the student find his wallet!
</Mode>

------------------
Getting motion sickness riding the emotional rollercoaster.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm...... here, the fines for overdue books aren't that much. Theoretically, you can borrow your textbook and pay a less expensive fine than purchasing the same textbook at the bookstore (which could cost a whole lot of dough).

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do whatever feels good.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Books in college are loaned by hours??

------------------
--Then, said Cranly, do you not intend to become a Protestant?
--I said that I had lost the faith, Stephen answered, but not that I had lost self-respect. What kind of liberation would that be to forsake an absurdity which is logical and coherent and to embrace one which is illogical and incoherent?

--James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.... we have books that professors put on reserve for their students. Other patrons can't take the books out,and the students can only take them out two hours at a time. That way, each student gets a fair chance to read the course material.

------------------
"Sully, for Shame! And don't be foolish! What are we trying to practice every day? If our friendship depends on things like space and time, then when we finally overcome space and time, we've destroyed our own brotherhood! But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see eachother once or twice?"
- Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LONG LIVE THE PHOTOCOPIER!!

------------------
The unexplained phenomenon that crippled the U.S.S. Unimpeachable --
Gaseous Anomaly...
What anomalises gaseously.

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, our university had the same system. And you could never get hold of the books you needed. Here's why, obviously. . .

------------------
"Have you seen blood in the moonlight, Will? It appears quite black."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecktor (Brian Cox), Manhunter (Michael Mann, 1986)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I hate overdue people too, but here (at the public library) we're not talking hours, but YEARS!

We're just about to mail out all our "listen, you SOB this is your last chance to avoid a firestorm" final overdue notices.

Well, actually it's an overdue notice stating the name price and due date of the book, plus advisement of the following facts:
In the state of Pennsylvania, if you do not return or pay for a book within 30 days of receiving written notice to return it from the library, you can be fined up to $300 and if you fail to pay you can go to jail for 30 days. (actually, we send them a copy of the actual legal code, but it says the same thing in language that even the local illiterate morons can comprehend if someone reads it to them.)

As Dictator of the U.S., I will create a Library Gestapo. You get two notices to return, then we send three guys to your house, who break in, hold you at gunpoint, and take the books, as well as whatever else the library can use. Then we break your knees.

*Evil laughter*
BWA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAAA!

------------------
"We shall not yield to you, nor to any man." -- Freak, The Mighty.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never go to the library.

------------------
"And much of Madness, and more of Sin, and Horror the soul of the plot."
--
The Conqueror Worm, by Edgar Allan Poe

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*looks at this one book he's had from the library ever since he was like, 8 years old* Uhh....well.....I'd take it back......but a few years ago I decided it was too late to take it back. Heh.

------------------
...Approaching the big 250...

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought the books that I needed because I assumed I'd never get the ones on academic reserve. I rarely opened them, and it was probably a waste of �220 (total from both years).

The books on academic reserve are however a problem to get hold of in the library, but that's the way it is. I've been through it myself - I just found some different books that would still get the job done (albeit not as well).

------------------
Do business with us, or we'll ruin you.

Feste
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New York Daily News - Oct. 6

Nearly everyone has committed the sin of having an overdue library book or two. But 500? Meet George Szamuely, a man whose stubborn refusal to return books to New York University's library has earned him $31,000 in fines and at least one night in jail.

Police detectives yesterday raided Szamuely's apartment on Stanton St. on the lower East Side, recovering a stash of political science and history books and arresting the New York Press freelance writer. Szamuely, 44, had kept more than 500 books from NYU's library, borrowed when he was a continuing education student from 1993 to 1997.

He ignored numerous notices, from polite warnings to severe threats, while his fines climbed to an astronomical sum. Enough was enough, the university finally decided.

...the books Szamuely had made up a major portion of the library's political science collection. Many were frequently requested classics that are out of print and hard to replace.

------------------
"There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne."

Bette Davis - Old Acquaintance

[This message has been edited by Feste (edited October 07, 1999).]

IP: Logged
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reccomend a severe beating, followed by 2 years of community service (that's how long it would take ME to earn $30,000, but that's INCLUDING taxes), dealing with all the freakazoids who come into the public libraries simply to look up women's naked mud wrestling on the internet computers.

That'd teach 'im.

------------------
"We shall not yield to you, nor to any man." -- Freak, The Mighty.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps