Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A Request

Author Topic: A Request
DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BRITISH PEOPLE RULE!!!!!

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!!!! (she ain't no human being)

I just got back from a truly wonderful event: an Oasis concert.
For you Yanks and likewise unimportant people, Oasis happens to be a VERY popular British rock band.

Anyway, as soon as I got out of the car, a chap yelled to me "Good ----" and I have no idea what he said, cause of his accent.
Then, a car drove by with Brits hanging out shouting "OASIS" at me.
At this point, I realized why I was so popular. I was wearing my Oasis shirt. As were many, many others.
All through the night, I was greeted with that shout, to which I eventually learned to reply, in the best American accent I could "OASIS!! YEAH!!!"
My favourite was when I was walking to the concourse and I heard banging above. I looked up to see some Limeys slamming their fists on the exit sign so I'd look up, at which point they shouted, you guessed it, OASIS!!!!
Joining in the chants, standing shoulder to shoulder with them cheering and singing, watching the Union Jack fly in the mosh pit... I truly wished that I had been Anglo-Saxon. You people are the cream of the crop, the best of the best. You people are why we exist. Not surprising, as you gave us Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Jimmy Page, Chris Dreja, Kieth Relf, Paul Samwell-Smith, Jeff Beck, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, John Bonham, Ray Davies, Dave Davies, Peter Quaife, Mick Avory, Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, Kieth Moon, John Entwhistle, Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Bill Ward, David Bowie and Monty Python. Great Britain is the greatest land on Earth. So, I'd like to ask you Brits something.

Would you be so kind as to confer upon me the title of honourary Brit? I'm sure I'd need like a majority vote from our resident classy, err, British folk. But it would be worth it. I beg it of you. I feel I am worthy, and moreover, I feel it would be keeping with the British tradition of bringing others up to your standards. After all, is there anything better you can do for an American, than to make him British?

So please, consider my proposal, and let me know what you think.

(some blather about internationalism so I don't get kicked out of the Fourth International)

------------------
"Look on the bright side is suicide" - Kurt Cobain
Milk It, Nirvana

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ahem*
His Most Gracious Majesty King Monty the first...
is pleased to bestow the title of Honourary British citizen - Standard Class to the undernamed:

D.T.

for outstanding grovelling and services to the communal British ego.

*bestows the bowler hat of honour*

*pockets the brown envelope DT slips him*

Next!

------------------
"You see, unlike you I understand history!
My name will blaze across the stars long after your petty treachery has been for-gotten !!!"

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, can we sing Rule Brittania now at an irritating high volume?

------------------
"You see, unlike you I understand history!
My name will blaze across the stars long after your petty treachery has been for-gotten !!!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an OASIS concert? Wow, I have been preoccupided. Where was it?

And did they do Masterplan?

------------------
*gasp* "The pictures...they're...coming...alive!"
-Abe Simpson, on the miracle of the moving image

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Oasis played a radio gig yesterday at the FU Center here in Philadelphia. They played for only a half hour, thus the booing at the end. Set list was:

Supersonic
Cigarettes and Alcohol
Wonderwall
Champagne Supernova
Helter Skelter

------------------
Milk It, Nirvana

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must get round to booking tickets for Wembley next summer, but I keep losing the number. Probably sold out by now. Plus everyone seems happy to let me pay for the tickets now and refund me before the concert. . .

I'm not so sure Monty acted correctly in granting honourary citizenship, DT is a bit of a bolshie. . . I'm reluctant to admit the riff-raff element. 8)

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I am not submitting myself for honorary British status (I refuse to change my spellings -- it took me long enough to learn the ones I use [post-edit: despite the corrections I continually have to make]), I would also like to point out the fact that the British sense of humor is also one of the most valuable assets they possess, and that they freely share this wealth with the (not always appreciative) world.

Besides the Monty Python crowd, there have been innumerable movies (not all comedies) with that peculiar British touch of humor, as well as Stan Laurel and Bob Hope (well, he's an American institution now, but he was born British -- perhaps it's the water?)

--Baloo

------------------
"If knowledge is power, then willful misinformation is the work of the Devil."
-- Barbara "the man who sought Liberty's talents" Mikkelson
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited December 04, 1999).]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Besides, the British have lost fewer of their manners than we Americans, taken as a group.]
DT
Member # 80

SMEG! You didn't mention Red Dwarf!

And that's true about Brits. Yanks push me out of the way. Brits avoid me or say "excuse me" That's something.

Although, Yank girls are much easier to score with. Well, considering it's me they're willing to felate, I guess that is another compliment to the intelligence of the British people.

------------------
Milk It, Nirvana

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends where you are. I've got a mate whose at liverpool university. He says that down in London, people wil try to avoid you, or if they bump into you, they'll just ignore you. In Liverpool ,you go within 3 feet of a person and they want a fight. Especially if you say 'Sorry mate' in a cockney accent.

------------------

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*groans* Please, no more Britian! My idiotic counrtymen decided to keep nobby doldrums (aka the Queen) as our head of state. I held firm to the belief that the average Aussie was smarter than the average Yank hands down. Now.. I REALLY have to wonder.

*end groan*

------------------
"Diplomacy is the art of Internationalising an issue to your advantage"

Field Marshal Military Project
http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yeah, and sooooo many of the British want to keep the Queen where she is too. *cough*

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps