Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Church and State (Page 2)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Church and State
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I was thinking of Ziyal's. But hey, any analogies are fun. As the old saying goes, if wishes were fishes then men would explode on contact with higher powers.

------------------
"And she stands beneath the mistletoe screaming. For him to stand beneath the mistletoe, screaming."
--
They Might Be Giants

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isreal in general, no, but there was always someone who remembered, and they taught the people if they forgot.

------------------
"Arthur hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realised there was a contradiction there and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very, very few my friend.

------------------
Peace on Earth

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh-heh.. God and the Prime Directive... interesing, if highly flawed, analogy.

God as Janeway?

That would make Jesus Captain Kirk, would it not? Or, perhaps... The Captain of the Exeter? Beaming down to a planet, going native, and affecting the whole planet's culture?

Of course, God isn't really good at obeying His Directive, if you've got miracles all over the place, prayers being answered, spiritual healing, and all that rot.

No, the analogy simply doesn't work.

A Prime Directive God would be a Deist God, who never touches the Earth or its inhabitants, not a Christian God who interveses only when the whim strikes Him.

(Unless you're saying God is as imperfect as Starfleet officers.)

Personally, if I were formulating in my mind a Starfleet Analogy of the Christian idea of God as my reality seems to reflect it, I'd have to say

Commodore Matt "there was... BUT NOT ANYMORE!" Decker.

Good intentions, tried to save the crew... but didn't think it through, and fed 'em all to the planet-killer. A bit too concerned with wrath. Ended up saving the day by destroying himself, thus allowing others to proceed unhindered.

But back to your original answer:

How does a God who "allows" horrid things to happen to the innocent differ from no God at all?

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what DOES he need with a starship, anyway?

------------------
"And she stands beneath the mistletoe screaming. For him to stand beneath the mistletoe, screaming."
--
They Might Be Giants

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To play with it! Like a micromachine or something. You know, waving it around, making phaser sounds and throwing around the Klingon BoP toys in response.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"My son and I have this wonderful kind of rivalry. Since I've taken over the Mac department in our home, he's seen fit to take over the PC. I have a routine I do for him, walking down the hall, bumping into walls, doing corkscrews and stumbling. I tell him I'm a Windows operating system." - John de Lancie

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm keeping my say to myself on this one, only because I'm not sure how to get it across.... so anyway, this topic is kinda off limits for me right now....

I WOULD however like to say this... just as a note..... a lot of attention is called to the fact that bad things happen to good people in religious debates. Over and over again it's heard that "If God loved his people so much, then why does he allow bad things to happen to good people?"

All I'd like to say about that is that bad things don't only happen to good people. Things like that happen to bad people, as well. And also, to reverse the statement, consider the point that God allows good things to happen to bad people and to good people alike.

I don't know what my point was with that. Well, I do... but it's 1am and I can't seem to get it out... maybe I'll edit the poist later and make it more coherent... maybe not... but I just wanted to get that out in the open. We are all children of God, and whether we're "good" people or "bad" people, we are in the same lot for whether good or bad things will happen to us. I don't know why that is, and I'm not about to just take a guess at it. Someday, when each of us meets God, we can ask him that ourselves, I suppose....

Anyway.. that was my personal (though barely coherent) opinion... consider me done with this thread now.....

~LOA

------------------
"The battle is raging inside my weary heart
screaming for me to let it all go...
My body is weak and I can't take the struggle anymore...
the love that was here is filled up by anger and rage..." ~FOM

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I neglect my thread for a couple of days and you all get on some dumb tangent! This was supposed to be about how much of a joke the government has made the constitution, not about religion!

I'm gonna go pout

------------------
"Sell the kids for food" - Kurt Cobain
In Bloom, Nirvana

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yes, of course, the government stomps on the Constitution. This is news?

With not a whole lot of research, I'm sure you could find within each of the last four administrations an example of one part of the govt. or another breaking MOST of the 10 Bill of Rights amendments, to say nothing of the rest.

1. Freedom of speech, the press, religion.
Well, this one's pretty constant. Everything from sending the IRS after your political enemies to the so-called Internet Decency Act to the so-called Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

2. The right to bear arms shall not be infringed. (the 'well-regulated militia' part, being a subordinate clause, is irrelevant.)
Constantly attacked from all sides. Moreso now that it becomes evident that the unarmed are not only vulnerable, but gullible.

et cetera.

as to LOA's comment: I'm afraid I must insist on parity. Some of us have suffered enough.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel compelled that gun confiscation (why use euphamisms?) is supported by liberals, not conservatives, so the second ammendment is not attacked from all sides.

------------------
"Arthur hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realised there was a contradiction there and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it was the conservative Clinton regime which attacked the Branch Dividians at Waco. That flies in the face of the second ammendment.

------------------
"All in all is all we are" - Kurt Cobain
All Apologies, Nirvana

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never though I would hear the word conservative modifying Clinton.

------------------
Peace on Earth

Omega
Member # 91

Bryce, compaired to DT, EVERYONE's a conservative.

How do you think Clinton got elected in the first place? He ran on the platform of being a conservative, or at least a moderate. You know, a "New Democrat". Of course, he kept none of the promises he made during his campaign. And according to George Stephanopolis, "The president has kept all the promises he intended to keep." I honestly can't see how the people elected him twice. He's a liberal. Period.

------------------

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I bet that the Conservative Clinton regime was DT's little joke, or perhaps a way to get a 180, or so more posts .

Anyway the Bill of Rights have been stomped on for years, why it wasn't until the 1950's that there was a push to really enforce the Bill of Rights, before that the Constition Gave rights only on the Federal level, the states on the other hand could do what they pleased. In fact even today while most rights have been extended to the to cover all Americans, the entire Bill of rights have not. The best example is that the Right to Bear Arms is only guranteed a Federal Right, however any state could ban firearms. Moreover, just because the Supreme Court has extended most of the Bill of Right to a state level they can also revoke that at any time.

------------------
"Think of all the delightful aspects of the reproductive process: menstruation, pregnancy, labor. And the part we're trying to eliminate is sex?" Cecil Adams the guy who does Straight Dope.

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know better than to get myself involved in this one, but here goes...

Anyone who claims that Jesus of Nazareth was a great moral teacher but nothing more is a fool, period. How can a man who claimed over and over again to be a god be a great moral teacher? How can a person who taught that belief in his diety was the only way to get into heaven be a great moral teacher? Many Bible quotes come to mind, but the most relevant is probably John 14:6. "Jesus replied, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me'" (quoted from the New International Version).

There are only three possible logical opinions on Christ, if you accept that the words that the four gospels accredit to him are actually his:

1. He is a liar.
2. He is a lunatic.
3. He is Lord of the Universe.

I'd recommend you get all the facts before you make up your mind which opinion to espouse. As for which one I espouse, well, does my signature quote give you any idea?

------------------
Dane

"...and there was war in heaven..." The Bible, Revelation 12:7

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps