Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » What a lame flameboard.... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: What a lame flameboard....
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*strikes a few matches*

OK, hows about a good ol' fashioned West-interfering-in other government thread? Might get this place back to its usual flaming self.

Let's start with four words:

NATO

Kosovo

Milosevic

Airstrikes

------------------
"Breen. Try saying it. Bre-een. Rolls nicely off the tongue, doesn't it?"

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Milosevic is a pr*ck, he (hey, whazzat "he" doing there?) diplomacy doesn't work with him, airstrikes are the only option, but these make matters only worse. So there are no real options..

[This message was edited by RW on March 23, 1999.]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Drops major nukeage*
Fight's over, let's go home.

Reminds me of the way my dad used to "settle" fights between my brother and myself:

"Okay, if you want to settle this you guys can go outside and fight until only one of you is standing... Then HE'LL have to fight ME."
A smart kid (which Milosevich apparently is not) realizes that this would result in annihilation, so the fighting ends.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Milosevic = [insert your own insults here]

He needs to die, I just hope it's as horrible a death as the one he's putting those innocent Kosovan citizens through. What he's doing is genocide, nothing less so the bastard needs to be brought down a peg or two.

However, I fear that the strikes will strengthen his position in Serbia. He's clever. A murderer yes but still clever.

------------------
"If it should become necessary to fight, could you arrange to find me some rocks to throw at them"

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
he is a very intelligent guy, more intelligent it seems than NATO, and they should have dealt with him earlier.
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they're authorised airstrikes. Can someone remind me why the USA is involved in this? Please? I don't mean any kind of so called moral vision,(Aka propaganda) I mean real, hard, strategic concerns.

If it was a case of saying the USA is the only one capable of inflicting pain on Milosovic I'd disagree. So, tell me, why is the USA in Europe?

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Serbians are comparing Canada to Serbia, in the sense that Kosovo is a province of Serbia, and Quebec is a province of Canada. Serbians were at the U.S. consulate in Toronto to protest the bombing of Serbia, saying it is a internal matter, and Kosovo is part of their traditional land. They claim that Canada also considers Quebec part of their traditional land, and would prefer the U.S. to butt out of these affairs.

Here's something for you, Serbs..... We don't mercilessly kill innocent civilians.

Fact (not sure if completely true): After the Bosnia incident, the Serbs started to arrest Kosovo separatists. Two Serb police were killed when several separatists tried to flee. The next day, 24 innocent civilians were executed by police of being suspected separatists, and suspected murderers. Feel free to correct me on this one.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryus:

World War III

The first started in that same region, by largely the same people. Only thing the situation needs is a Hitler.

------------------
Wheeelersburg Correctional Facility
Inmate #05301999

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, although what the Serbians are doing(and have done) in Kosovo is completely inexcusable, the KLA (Kosovo Liberation Army) does not escape without blame either. Some of their attacks on Serb positions went beyond self defence and were meant to provoke the serbs into doing even more, thus dragging NATO in, since they know they can't beat the Serbs on their own.

Judging by the news on the net, bombs will start dropping any hour now. I am rather curious how much of an effect they can have on Serbia's resolve and how much damage (if any) Serbia can do to NATO. It is interesting that NATO commanders have been saying that they expect to take losses from Serbian air defences. NATO may have gotten itself into a war where it expected just a short strike or so.

Am I the only one who is concerned that NATO is organizing this action and not the UN? Technically, NATO has no responsibility to countries outside of its membership, and at least the UN has the appearance of being a little more than an American and British puppet. The Americans have really crippled the UN (by, for example, not paying the dues they owe), I suspect because they grew tired of not getting their own way all the time.

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The conflict in Yugoslavia is very much an outgrowth of the Cold War. Hence, NATO.

------------------
"I'll turn everything around and confuse you. I'll fix it so you can't remember what was true."
--
They Might Be Giants

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And since the US is the most powerful member of NATO...you figure it out.

------------------
Risk is our business! That's what this starship is all about....that's why we're aboard her!"

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not going to be all that fierce a thread, since we have no Serbian posters and I doubt anybody would assume the mantle of apologist for them.

I say: Strike now, because you said you would. Better anything than yet MORE prevarication and bumbling over endless "final warnings".

World War 3? Naaaah. Not on a Wednesday....

------------------
"To appear in an Ernie Wise play...is the final accolade"
"Look at me and say that"
"Accolade."
"AH-hahaha!"

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Situations like this need to be sorted out early, and not dragged on for ages because the only people who lose are the civilians. I mean, look at all those last chances. "This is Serbia's last chance, if they don't agree, we'll bomb them." I think the west would have learned by now that these kind of people don't respond to threats like that, and have seen enough to know that the early threats are almost certainly empty.

They tried to appease Hitler, look what happened.
They tried diplomacy with Saddam, look at what happened. (although it does now seem that the diplomacy with Iraq was just a front for sending spies into Iraq as arms inspectors)
The situations that occurred in Rwanda and Zaire

If you tell them that you're very angry and condemn them, they'll just laugh in your face - the only thing that they understand is force, and I think it should be given to them in droves.

------------------
"If it should become necessary to fight, could you arrange to find me some rocks to throw at them"

[This message was edited by Orion Syndicate on March 24, 1999.]

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worst Job in the World:

PR man for the Serbian army

------------------
"That is the exploration that awaits you: Not mapping the stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possiblities of existence." - Q, All Good Things...

RW
Member # 27

Well then, it seems bombs are a falling now..

Good, a resume of what I think:

The U�K (or KLA) is just like any other terrorist separatist groups, and I do not agree with anything they stand for, but the Serbs have no right to start ethnical cleansing in response to their actions. they are not just fighting the U�K, they kill innocent civilians. For that alone, they should be punished. But why do the other nations insist that Serbia agrees with a possibility of Kosovo becoming independent in the future? They never offered the IRA such a thing, or the ETA. I get the feeling their hate towards Serbs makes them partial.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps