Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » What a lame flameboard.... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: What a lame flameboard....
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cargile - I know that!!!! By asking that question I'm endeavouring to point out that the USA isn't in this on the grounds on moral rightouesness. In future I'll be more direct in my sugggestion *L*.(Note I'm targeting the USA, however it stands for most of the other participating nations).

Now, the reason I'm trumpeting about America is this - it's not your continent. Get off it.

Orion - well said. I'm sure if I got my way (which I won't) the USA would turn it's attemtion to China. That I would support...why? Well they are the worst of the worst when it comes to this type of thing. But, the USA isn't willing to put itself at risk by tackling China. Right now you can make money from that nation...but I'm sure, when the time is right America will exact it's vengeance on them too.

Jeff - It was Hungary.

Now, I find this interesting. People are trumpeting about the UN. The UN of course is a sham in many senses. But let's start with the Security Council. 5 Members sit on it permanently - and all 5 have a veto. So what's the point of having one!? Nations pretty much do what they like, this is just some lame form of justification. Is anyone stopping China proliferating nuclear weapon to it's little lapdog Paksitan?! I think not. Or stopping the transfer of nuclear weapons tech from India to Vietnam? Nope. Or for that matter preventing nations like Eritrea and Ethopia (nations that can barely feed themselves) from spending all they have on military equipment? No again. It's a joke.

I'm against this action primarily because people are violating laws they helped to build (such as sovereignty laws) with a mixed bag of lame justification for attacking. There's no consistency! Ok, if you were to attack the serbs, the go attack China and kick them out of Tibet Or try to invade Kashmir and mediate there. Now I realise the above two examples are nigh on impossible due to the losses any force trying to move in would suffer. The point is that without consistent doctrine and law enforcement there will be no fairness. Favourved nations will get away with it...and smaller weaker ones will suffer.

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First up is you, Monty muh man!

A- Mine is closer to the truth.

B- Good Hitleresque logic.

C- Read some history. Germany DECLARED WAR on the US. Ignoring any signed treaties... Germany was the AGRESSOR. When you tell me how Slobo is the agressor...

D- They're alienating enough others ones.

E- Sure thing Lyndon.

F- Yes they should.

G- No, but I will.

H- Exactly, defense spending should be cut. The Cold War is over.

N- Well, if Brits don't care about terrorism, that's a good thing. You certainly have incurred enough of it.

O- Am I the only one who reads Carpenter?

P- Part sarcasm, part truth as to how they are both agressors.

Q- I don't go by oil prices, I go by economic reports.

R- Ignorance on the part of the masses. Albania is a worse threat than Serbia can ever be.

T- So, intervention only when it is convenient? Shame Hitler declared war on us. By your logic, if he did not, we should've let him use the reprisal weapons and burn your island to a cinder.

U- And it wasn't funny when it happened then, either. Or, if I should refer to your country's glorious past, why don't we kill some of my Irish brethren?

V- That doesn't mean anything. Ireland! Confederacy! Jay will help me with this one, I hope.

Y- NATO should be absolved immediately. It is useless in the post-Cold War world. Moreover, it is hypocritical. Such an organization can never earn the respect of the informed person.

Very good points Jeff. Russia feels that NATO, like Austria-Hungary, is an expansionist power. Yeltsin may be Clinton's drinking buddy, but he's not going to be in power much longer.

Ya know, there ARE the ingredients for a World War, just not the way you would think. Fools like Tony Blair and Bill Clinton are running around half-cocked with large forces, organizations like NATO and the UN are trying to find themselves, economies are falling, and the two giants(Russia and China) are about to have administration changes. One of those, Russia, is even wounded. The next century should be fun.

------------------
Field Marshal Military Project
http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net

------------------
Day, after day
I get angry and I will say
That the day, is in my sight
When I will bow, and say good night
-------
Violent Femmes

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryus:

quote:
Now, the reason I'm trumpeting about America is this - it's not your continent. Get off it.

Um, might I remind you of a few certain occasions. WWI, and WWII. If we had "Gotten off your continent", you would be speaking German. Because of US intervention, the United Kingdom and quite a few other nations still exist. It wasn't our continent the either, was it?

------------------
Risk is our business! That's what this starship is all about....that's why we're aboard her!"

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I'm playing devils advocate here - go with me).
Let's see. In this case, are your interests at risk? Are any of your allies under direct attack? HMM? If that was the case, then of course you should intervene. As in the case of WWI & WWII. However, that isn't the case.

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thomas Paine.

------------------
"The record of my unspeakable crimes, in previous lives, in previous times, indelibly stains the pages of history."
--
They Might Be Giants

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

Yeah - you're right. Destroy the rule of law when it suits you. And leave a precident of power as the only ruler.

*sarcasm*

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

[This message was edited by Daryus Aden on March 27, 1999.]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody talks about the big difference being that the US entered WWI and WWII because someone was attacking their allies.

This, my friends, is a fib.

The US started out BOTH world wars with a STRONG inclination towards isolationism.

We weren't allied with ANYBODY.

In both cases, the US was eventually pulled in, in the case of WWI by deft maneuvering (Given that the "Zimmerman note" was most likely a sham) and in the case of WWII by the Japanese attack on Pearl harbor. (accompanied by a great deal of begging on the part of the Allies - or have we forgotten Lend-Lease? [never repaid, I might add])

(One wonders what might have happened if Hitler had NOT responded to the US's declaration of war on Japan by declaring War on the US, thus giving them no excuse to enter the European theater... Probably it wouldn't have mattered, since by that time the US government was leaning towards supporting the "Allies" anyway, so WWII would have been an "illegal," "Get off our continent" war, too. )

[Yeah, I bet that's JUST what they would have said.. "Mind your own business, this is OUR war!"]

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

[This message was edited by First of Two on March 27, 1999.]

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that we(the US) is in this for two reasons.

1. Thou shalt not murder. We are going to prevent the senseless destruction of a peoples because it is WRONG.

2. We are setting a precident. We are establishing the fact that we will do as we want to prevent another world war, AND, no one, but no one is going to stop us(although its good to have support every now and then). We stepped on Iraq, and we'll step on Miloslevic. When we're done, we'll move on.

PS- Being at the top of the world has its advantages, but also its disadvantages. We have to put with more criticism than any other nation.

------------------
"That is the exploration that awaits you: Not mapping the stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possiblities of existence." - Q, All Good Things...

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"And Moses descended from upon Mount Sinai, carrying with him two stone tablets upon which God hath written the 10 Commandmants. Moses began to read them to the congregated Isrealites....

'Thou shalt have no other God but the President of the United States of America'

'Thou shalt make for thyself no images aside from the flag of the United States of America'

'Thou shalt not take up the name of the government of the United States of America in any disagreeable way'

'Tho art to remember the sabbath day and to hold it sacred, never bombing Iraq during Ramadan'

'Honour thy President and his lackies in order that your days may prove shrouded in ignorance'

'Thou shalt not murder... unless thou art the the United States of America, in which case you can murder whoever you want, including civilians south of the Mason-Dixon Line, Filipinos, Krauts, Japs, Vietnamese, and particularly those damned Iraqis! If you can't kill them all through sanctions, bomb them occassionally. And also let Russia murder whoever they want... and China for that matter.'

'Thou shalt not commit adultery... unless thou art the President of the United States, whom thou shalt refer to as Ahriman'

'Thou must not steal... unless Ahriman decrees that thou shalt steal from them'

'Thou must not testify falsely against they fellow man as a witness... unless you are Ahriman, in which case not only can you perjur like hell, you can lie about your intentions to bomb the heck out of people'

'Thou shalt not desire your fellowman's house, although his land and oil is fine to covet. For that matter, none of this apllies to Ahriman'"

I like it that way Jeff.

------------------
Day, after day
I get angry and I will say
That the day, is in my sight
When I will bow, and say good night
-------
Violent Femmes

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you say so. :-�
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DT is the only person I know who can be fabulously brilliant and utterly dim, simultaneously.

DT: That was a complement, by the way.

--Baloo

------------------
HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE:
This Product Contains Minute Electrically Charged Particles Moving at Velocities in Excess of Five Hundred Million Miles Per Hour.

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Daryus:Moral rightousness! *falls out of chair laughing* The US and morals--oxymoron.

<gloat>We are theSUPERPOWER baby!</gloat>

Try to contain your jealousy.

And please DT, the US goverment is not killing ". . . civilians south of the Mason-Dixon Line, Filipinos, Krauts, Japs, Vietnamese. . .". Civilians south of the Mason-Dixon line huh? Sounds like you are refering to all Southerns, me included, so what is that about anyway?
No actually, what are you talking about anyway about all those above mentioned groups?

------------------
The real problem with the United States of America is that is was founded by Europeans, Asians, and Africans.

[This message was edited by Cargile on March 28, 1999.]

[This message was edited by Cargile on March 28, 1999.]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

Cargile - Ain't that the truth!

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

Just let me figure something out...

DT, how old are you, and where do you live?

------------------
"That is the exploration that awaits you: Not mapping the stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possiblities of existence." - Q, All Good Things...

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

That's a rather under hand way to discredit someone *L*.

BTW Did I mention my stance on this issue? Yes, I agree we should be giving Milosovitch a lesson. I don't think the USA should be there. Thus - as a challenge I'm playing the crazy role of going against the masses. Ain't it fun! *L*

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.