Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » What a lame flameboard.... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: What a lame flameboard....
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I give up. This argument is getting pointless. As there was the example before, NATO has every right to act, as does the onlooker of a mugging. Genocide will not be tolerated, and if UN doesn't do anything about it, then I cheer NATO for stepping in to prevent it(This does not mean I think the UN should be dissolved).

I given my facts, and you have ignored them. Sorry I couldn't educate you.

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Scuse me, Jeff is right. Now if those Russians were a bit smarter. I mean, they support murderers??! If some Dutch guy kills hundreds of people in the US, I won't support him just because he's Dutch, would I? I'd say lock him up, he's a murderer. They should be more rational.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I never said atrocities were not being committed. I said they were in retaliation to terrorism committed by the KLA. That is different from exterminating people due to ethnic or religous reasons. For one thing, the latter is bad strategy. The former is brilliant,"

So you can support Serbia's execution of "intellectuals," and the driving out of Albanian women and children, and the mass arrests of any male over 16, because some of the Albanians happen to be (maybe, remember, it's the Serbs saying this in the first place) terrorists??

OKAY! *sarcasm* Just what I've been waiting to hear! *more sarcasm* By the above logic, the next time some Shiite-head blows up an airliner, we're justified in getting rid of all the Arabs! (Or at least all the Shiite Moslems)

Of course, one wonders what the implications of such logic might be if applied to the terrorism caused by inner-city street gangs...

Speaking of international law.. isn't there something in the Geneva Convention against genocide? Of course, you may believe that if YugoSerbia never signed it, it doesn't apply to them.. in which case you'd be nuttier than my grandma's fruitcake. It would be like saying the prohibition against murder doesn't apply to you since you never voted for the law against it.

My vote: Dissolve the UN, replace it with ME. The leaders of any country who misbehaves to the point of genocide get a plutonium dust bath.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DT:

quote:
If you all wish, I will find the section of international law which pertains to that.

This is not about international law. This is about genocide. You say that Milosevic's actions are because the Albanians are terrorists. Some of them may be. But all of them are not. The Serbs killed one of the men that tried to go with them to the peace table. He was a man who only wanted to end violence, not provoke it. And he was killed for what he wanted. If those people were terrorists, I would agree with you, and what is occuring is wrong. But they are not. Killing innocent people isn't right. Never has been, never will be.

As for saying that I vote for dissolving the UN, you're wrong. I think the UN is a good, if misguided organization. If the UN was actually given some real authority and power, maybe they could control the situation. They don't have the power, so if we don't stop the wrongs, who will?

First of Two:

quote:
The leaders of any country who misbehaves to the point of genocide get a plutonium dust bath.

Right on.

My vote: Keep bombing them until the genocide stops. If we do not stop these attrocities, we would be no better than the ones committing them.

------------------
"We choose to do this and more. Not because it is easy, but because it is hard."
-- John F. Kennedy

[This message was edited by Warped1701 on March 30, 1999.]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warped: Of course, my REAL problem with the attacks is that so far, Milosevich HIMSELF has not been considered a target... and since he's giving the orders, he should pay the highest price.

Oh, and re: plutonium dust baths.. this doesn't mean nuking. It means grabbing the guy and dunking him in plutonium dust.. not a pleasant way to go... but then again, neither is being lined up, forced to give the Serbian three-fingered salute, then being shot.

Another thing about the law. Sometimes it's more immoral to keep to the law. Here's a true example from my extensive files:

Woman confides to Pastor that she's severely beating young daughter and allowing two men to sexually abuse same daughter.
Pastor, according to what were then the Church laws regarding confessional, *Fortunately, they've since been changed* is not allowed to do anything about this besides dispensing penance and forgiveness.
Pastor, in fact, says and does nothing beyond dispensing standard penance - which ain't much - and forgiveness.
Abuse continues for years. Effects continue until this day.

Legally correct? Yeppers..
And about as morally wrong as you can get.
And the only thing that keeps me from dispensing just punishment on the guy is that he's dead already.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.