Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Hmm, see what I've dug up...

Author Topic: Hmm, see what I've dug up...
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's late, I'm bored, and this place could use another firestorm.

So without further ado...
http://members.aol.com/didymus5/thomas.html

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*deleted*

whoops

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited January 02, 2000).]

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's your point? I don't even find it interesting, and there are tons of these.

------------------
Peace on Earth

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would estimate that there is (at minimum) one website for every point-of-view that anyone with internet access possesses.

The gospel of Thomas is part of the "Acts of the Apostles". These are largely folklore regarding the 12 apostles' adventures following Christ's death. If I am not mistaken, each one of them (with some possible exceptions) died a martyr's death, each gorier than the last, almost like a competition to see who can top the others.

------------------
EXPERIENCE, n. The wisdom that enables us to recognize as an undesirable old acquaintance the folly that we have already embraced.
--Ambrose Bierce
Come Hither and Yawn...[/B]

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If my studies in church history are accurate, there were many sects that sprang up around the figures of the apostles after they died. "Thomas sects" were among the most prolific.

Incidentally, many of the New Testament epistles were written to counter the Gnostic heresy, which claimed that spirit is entirely good and matter is entirely evil. Five errors came out of the Gnostic teachings:

1. Man's body (matter) is entirely evil.
2. Salvation is escape from the evil body, achieved not by faith in Christ but by special knowledge.
3. Christ's true humanity was denied (because there was no sin in him -- according to the Bible -- and yet he had flesh -- evil according to the Gnostics).
4. The body should be treated harshly, since it is evil.
5. Paradoxically, this led to licentiousness. The reasoning was that since matter (not breaking God's commandments) is the center of wickedness, then breaking the commandments had no moral consequence.

Basically, the Gnostic teachings were rejected by the church (and by Peter, John, and Paul specifically in the Bible) as heresy, and they were therefore excluded from mainstream Christian theology.

------------------
Dane

"...and there was war in heaven..." The Bible, Revelation 12:7

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: If I am not mistaken, each one of them (with some possible exceptions) died a martyr's death, each gorier than the last, almost like a competition to see who can top the others.

*Cough, cough* John didn't die a Martyr's death, he died of natural causes (well relatively natural causes ).

------------------
"Think of all the delightful aspects of the reproductive process: menstruation, pregnancy, labor. And the part we're trying to eliminate is sex?" Cecil Adams the guy who does Straight Dope.

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This reminds me of the alleged new millennium gospel written on commission by Terry Waite....

Or was that off the TV?

------------------
"I cannot live out that life.
That man is bereft of passion... and imagination!
That is not who I am!"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HMS White Star:
quote:
*Cough, cough* John didn't die a Martyr's death, he died of natural causes (well relatively natural causes ).

I now quote myself, with added emphasis:

quote:
If I am not mistaken, each one of them (with some possible exceptions) died a martyr's death, each gorier than the last, almost like a competition to see who can top the others.

SHEESH!

------------------
"Politicians and diapers should be changed regularly, for the same reason."
--(Unknown)
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited January 07, 2000).]

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Baloo I was kind of tried when I wrote that my job keeps me up until 4:30am at in the morning working, and it kind of shot my brain in the mean time, It's going to take me some time to adjust, sorry.

------------------
"Think of all the delightful aspects of the reproductive process: menstruation, pregnancy, labor. And the part we're trying to eliminate is sex?" Cecil Adams the guy who does Straight Dope.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps