Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Military Spending (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Military Spending
DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do Americans spend too much?
Do Brits spend too little?

The following are from the CIA's handbook, and are military spendings as of fiscal year 1997/98, 98/99 or just 1998 unless otherwise indicated

Afghanistan: NA
Albania: $60 million
Argentina: $4.6 billion
Australia: $6.9 billion
Bosnia: NA
Brazil: $14.7 billion
Canada: $7.1 billion
China: $12.68 billion (1999) a
Columbia: $4 billion b
Croatia: $950 million (1999)
Cuba: $692 million (1995) c
Egypt: $3.28 billion (FY 1995/96) d
Finland: $1.8 billion
France: $39.831 billion (1997)
Germany: $32.8 billion
Greece: $4.04 billion e
Grenada: NA f
India: $10.012 billion g
Indonesia: $959.7 million
Iran: $5.787 billion
Iraq: $NA h
Isreal: $8.7 billion i
Japan: $42.9 billion
N. Korea: $7 billion (1997) j
S. Korea: $9.9 billion
Kuwait: $2.7035 billion
Lebanon: $445 million (1997)
Libya: NA k
Mexico: $6 billion l
Nepal: $44 million m
Netherlands: $6.604 billion
Nicaragua: $26 million
Pakistan: $2.48 billion
Peru: $913 million n
Phillipines: $995 million
Russia: $NA o
Saudi Arabia:$18.1 billion (1997)
Serbia: $911 million
Sudan: $550 million
Syria: $1 billion p
Taiwan: $7.446 billion
Turkey: $6.737 billion q
UK: $36.7 billion
US: $267.2 billion
Venezuala: $1.1 billion
Vietnam: $650 million

a - China's is assumed to be higher, of course, their GDP is only 4.42 trillion, so they can't exactly be spending a lot.
b - Colombia recieves most of that from the United States.
c - This is an estimate, but their 1998 GDP was 17.3 billion, so they couldn't outspend Brazil without devoting almost everything to the military.
d - Much of this is from the United States.
e - This is an estimate.
f - Well, they may be a threat!!! That 340 million dollar GDP could all be going to the military!!
g - The world's most populous country barely outspends Canada. The US needs to worry about them.
h - Iraq's GDP is $52.3 billion.
i - US puppet state.
j - I took the higher estimate.
k - $38 billion GDP.
l - And they still can't beat the ELZN.
m - And they still can't beat the damn Maoists.
n - And they still can't beat the damn Shining Path.
o - Estimated to be about 6th of wait it was during USSR days.
p - Probably higher.
q - A lot coming from the US, glad to see it's my tax dollars going to murder the Kurds. Huzzah for holocausts!

That should make it a little easier.

------------------
"Here is another word that rhymes with shame" - Kurt Cobain
Blew, Nirvana

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering if anyone else has seen the most fascinating ads in some U.S. newspapers.

"The #1 Military Power. The #18 Education System."
"No Wonder Our Bombs are Smarter than Our Kids."
"The First Row of These Nuclear Warheads Annihilates All Civilization. The Others Destroy Our Schools." (the U.S. has enough nukes to wipe out civilization tens times over)
etc.

"Business Leaders of Education" or something.

It's rather interesting. The U.S.'s funding for military hasn't diminished virtually at all since the Cold War ended. For every dollar of U.S. tax, fifty cents goes to the Pentagon. Six cents go towards education. Scary, huh?

In tests, U.S. students placed 18th in the world (maths and sciences at the right grade level); per capita, the U.S. is the 10th biggest spender on schools ($30 billion total per annum), number one on armed forces ($276 billion total per annum).

If you find these ads, I suggest you read them; they're very convincing and well-argued.

Edit: Typos... Why don't you notice them beforehand?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

[This message has been edited by Elim Garak (edited January 07, 2000).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know where Canada placed in this educational ranking.

I think we have a rather good educational system. (Except Moose Jaw. We're pretty slow.)

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It didn't say, but on both accounts, I'm quite sure the UK, Canada, France, New Zealand, and Australia were in the top ten in per capita spending for education, as well as international test results.

In any case, I think the point stands that the U.S. is still arming itself for the Cold War, when it could better use the billions of dollars elsewhere.

I'm rather pleased the UK and France are so high on the military list; but notice the gap... Their education systems aren't suffering and they're still military powers, second only to their major ally, who is suffering on education fronts, and Japan (unless I missed anyone else on the list)...

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

[This message has been edited by Elim Garak (edited January 07, 2000).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't suppose anyone has a list of what percentage of the countries GNP's these are? Just curious.

Is that stat just the national government (which really shouldn't be spending anything at all on education, constitutionally), cause otherwise, I can't get some numbers to quite match up. In New Jersey, it's approaching $9,000 per student, every year! You're telling me that that's not enough money? You can go to a Catholic school for, what, a third of that? You'd probably get a better education, too. More money is not the answer. If two tylenol doesn't get rid of a headache, you don't take four more. There is one main thing that needs to happen to fix our classrooms.

Teachers need to be able to enforce rules and institute dicipline in classrooms. I know a man who teaches at a public school who touched a kid to get his attention. The kid then told his mother that the teacher hit him. The mother came to the school and physically attacked the teacher. The judge told them that they both commited asssault, and decided to "let" them both off. Getting someone's attention is considered assault! If you yell at a kid who's, say, playing a guitar in class, again, you can be sued for assault! Now tell me something isn't wrong there.

Out of curiosity, where is Japan falling in these educational rankings? I've heard that their students are quite similar to ours, and trying to deal with them can incur similar consequences.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did this turn into an issue of better education at catholic schools? Are you trolling for a reason?

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He has an axe to grind is all. Wants to turn us all toward his wacked world view. Must have been anti education day on Rush.

------------------
Smithers, do you realize if I had died, there would be no one to carry on my legacy. Due to my hectic schedule and lethargic sperm, I never fathered an heir. Now I have no one to leave my enormous fortune to. No one.
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited January 08, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Sol pointed out, is anyone else waiting for Omega to start all his posts by saying "And one day, at band camp..." ?

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you know, the US has such a large military so that countries like Canada don't need one of significant size. That's why I'm in favor of state-based militaries...no more of the US being protector of the world.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I'm still amazed at how unintuitive the Windows world is and how it tries to mimic the Mac." - John de Lancie

Member # 239

...But then countries like Canada would have to spend the money that we use to 'git us sum smrt kidz' for militaristic spending.

And that just won't work, as we're a pacifistic country, of course.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, then, prepare to be conquered. :P

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I'm still amazed at how unintuitive the Windows world is and how it tries to mimic the Mac." - John de Lancie

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Wow, Frank would make a very good Guillaume II type when it comes to nationalism.

But the point is, the U.S. can still be "protector of the world" by cutting the Pentagon budget in, say, half or even more! Especially since the UK is next on the list -- their greatest military ally, followed by one of the U.S.'s greatest trade partners, followed by the U.S.'s longest-running military friend! And with a Pentagon budget of still over $120 billion, they'd be twice ahead of the nearest competition.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's more like 33 cents on the dollar for the pentagon, 23 for interest on the gigantic deficit, another 22 for social security, and the rest for everything else. NASA gets a little less than a "ha'penny."

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Well, blame the ad.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The day I start believing ad copy is the day I flush my brain down the toilet.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps