Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "It's better to be thought of as a fool... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "It's better to be thought of as a fool...
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

My Dad told me this one day while we were playing catch, and I consider it to be one of the, if not the most, influential things anybody's ever said to me.

I'm pretty smart, (Well at least I think so )but I'm not as educated in many areas as I'd like to be.

There are some people in thess forums in which I admire greatly, (Baloo is the most prominent, IMHO)because they can post opinions that can be eloquently discussed, and are knowledgable enough in the subject in question that they can back their opinion up without looking like a total ass.

I don't reply to alot of subjects for a few reasons. First, I may not be educated on a certain topic enough (Like the church topics), and I would just end up polluting the topic with misinformation. And second, I may not want to argue over such a trivial piece of information.

There seem to be some people here who cannot restrain themselves from posting outrageous opinions, some of which I'm certain the posters themselves don't believe.

It gets harder and harder to read topics after they've scraggled on for too long because they get innundated under so much S#!t, that it's hard to see what the actual discussion was about.

So, I guess I come to the point. Or rather, a request. I wish that before you post to a discussion in this forum, I implore you to know what you're talking about and don't spew filth just for the sake of infuriating someone.

I'd like to contribute too, but sometimes, due to the lack of direction of some posts and the personal rivalries.

I hope this makes sense.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is that they KNOW that they're right, and that it'll only take another couple of posts before we all realise that evolution was thought up by a bunch of Opium-smoking hippies, or that God is the creation of the salt-people from Mars. Which is why they don't listen to each other, and just keep spouting the same stuff over and over again.

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with PsiLiam. That's one of the reasons I post so infrequently.

I also don't rush in to post a reply (except a facetious one) until I've had a chance to look up my facts, and ensure I do not quote all my information from a single source. Whether it's true or not, when you quote only one person, book, website, or other authority, you sound like you are just parrotting back what you read or heard. Sometimes I can't cite a source. When I can't I try to be certain that it's understood that what I'm saying is an opinion.

When someone says something you disagree with, think. Don't just jump in, tell them they're wrong, and then tell them what they ought to believe. All you're saying (with far to many words) is "You stupid! This is what you ought to say!"

Oh, that argument is Reeeally convincing!

Do you understand what the other person is saying? Even if you don't believe it, that's a very important step. If you enter every debate as if it were a contest, rather than an effort to tell others what you think (and possibly what you know), then the only loser is the truth, and there are no winners.

--Baloo

P.S.: Ultra Magnus -- Thanks for the complement, but let's not let it go to my head, okay?

------------------
"Politicians and diapers should be changed regularly, for the same reason."
--(Unknown)[B]
Come Hither and Yawn...

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...

Having thought things over, maybe I don't post so infrequently. I still make sure I'm prepared before I jump into a fray, though.

--Baloo

------------------
--(Unknown)[B]
Come Hither and Yawn...

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*is about to speak*

*is thinking it over again*

I agree with you guys. I seldom seem to post to any debates any more, just spout silly nonsense to get laughs. (Hell, if I wanted to get a big laugh i could always drop my trousers...)

What i find interesting is that even when discussing "unreal" topics like starship length or configuration, we STILL seem to end up with entrenched positions that will not budge. Now, I personally don't believe in odd-numbered nacelled starships, but it's evidently taken as given on the Starships forum.

I must go now, and be facetious in serious topics elsewhere.

------------------
"I cannot live out that life.
That man is bereft of passion... and imagination!
That is not who I am!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo, it's PsYLiam. Cause it stands for Psychology. Which was my major. But isn't any more. Ahhh bugger. CompLiam doesn't quite have the same ring does it?

Oh well, while I'm coming up with a new name, just call me Liam. And I'll call you Robbie. Deal?

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Okay, Liam, jist don't call me "Robby", huh? (I keep getting these mental images of Robby the Robot from Forbidden Planet.)

Seriously, I find it disappointing that threads filled with how everyone who disagrees with the current poster is a racist ignoramus who knows nothing of worth, and a thread about trying to understand one another without trying to flame the heretics falls to the wayside.

What are your priorities, folks?

--Baloo

------------------
--(Unknown)[B]
Come Hither and Yawn...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, theoretically speaking, a thread about agreeing doesn't belong in the Flameboard, but what do I know?

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

No problem Bob.

------------------

Geraldo Rivera

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

This thread isn't about agreeing. It's about starting a discussion and having it degenerate into a name-calling contest. I get extremely tired of people posting to a thread about an important subject (or a trivial one, for that matter), not to tell others what they think, but to tell them they're full of horse exhaust for believing as they do.

If you can't express your own views immediately, then don't snipe at someone else's. Especially if your counter-argument hinges upon the supposed deficiencies in the other person's intellectual capacity or ancestry. Calling someone a racist does not explain your position on a subject. Calling them stupid or brainwashed does not necessarily mean you are some kind of genius. It just means you can't think of anything so say, but you intend to say something anyway. Remember how you always thought of what you should have said after it's too late? This is a message board. It's never too late, especially if you haven't already made an ass of yourself by responding in the heat of the moment.

Not immediately responding to someone else's argument does not mean you've decided they are right and you are wrong. It could mean that you are looking up more information to present on the side of your viewpoint or that you are choosing the right words for your response. When you respond to someone's viewpoint by violently disagreeing and calling them names, you have only proven that you can't keep your mouth shut when you have nothing worthwhile to say.

Go do your homework. Treat others with respect. Then if they call you an idiot for expressing your point-of-view, everyone will know they are an idiot and rush to your defense (though not necessarily to the defense of your viewpoint).

I may not agree with the views of everyone in these forums, but I hate it when someone stops trying to explain his/her own position and starts showing everyone what an idiot they are by telling everyone what an idiot the other guy is. Why? Because they don't agree.

--Baloo

------------------
--(Unknown)[B]
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited January 10, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Okay, I think we've all learned that we should never, ever call him Rob.

Either that or the giving up smoking thigs finally gotten to him.

Still he's right. Which is why eveyone respects Baloo's opinions slightly more than "you all SUX! You're a11 gay brainwashed sh1tz!"

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I jsu can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe someone should compile a book of Baloo's advice. "Words of Wisdom from the Talking Bear". Think it'd sell?

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

I want 10% of the gross.

------------------
--(Unknown)[B]
Come Hither and Yawn...

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Baloo, go to hell you wanker!

Err, I mean...

go to hell you wanker!

(I think I missed the point of this thread, but that's all I can come up with)

------------------
"Here is another word that rhymes with shame" - Kurt Cobain
Blew, Nirvana

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DT, are you looking for a major wedging? If so you can keep going in that direction .
Ultra, that sounds like a plan.

------------------
Samaritan: "A good hot curry will help heal your wounds. That is, unless your religion forbids it".

Man: (Eyes growing wide) "No religion forbids a good hot curry".

-From some movie.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps