Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » John Rocker (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: John Rocker
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Rocker was suspended until May 1 by commissioner Bud Selig on Monday for racial and ethnic remarks that
"offended practically every element of society." This effectivly keeps Rocker out of spring training and out of the first month or so of the season.

To read the rest of the story, go here.

His comments: "The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners. I'm not a very big fan of foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?"

You can read more of what a wonderful fellow he is by going here.

The question then is this...do public figures like Rocker have a greater responsibility because they are public figures? Does the right to free speech not apply if you have a public persona? Or did Selig cross the line by his suspension?

------------------
Ohh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts, and plagues and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing...well I say "Hard Cheese"!
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, famous people, especially role models have a greater responsibility than others.

------------------
"Men, I want you just thinking of one word all season. One word and one word only: Super Bowl."
Bill Peterson, Football Coach

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, very well Jeff, but that then begs a question or two.

When did famous people give up their First Amdendment right to free speech?

When does a famous person cross that line and become a role model? John Rocker is surely famous, but I think one could argue whether Rocker is a role model.
Moreover, what makes an athlete a role modle? Why do people who can throw a baseball faster than I can or who can shoot a basketball better than me become role models? I think that we have ignored the societal implications of that question for a very long time. Certainly there are athletic qualities that one can seek to imulate; there is an intense work ethic that any great athlete must have to become a success.

And yet, we have placed athletes and celebrities in general on such a level. Starting with the worship of the "great athlete," embodied at the start of the modern athletic era by Babe Ruth and carried on through the years by other athletes.

Why? Does being able to throw a baseball faster than the average schmoe add something to society on a tangible level? Does a dunk have more intrinsic value than a painting?

------------------
Ohh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts, and plagues and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing...well I say "Hard Cheese"!
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say anything about losing one's first admendment right. Celebrities have a moral duty, that's all. Celebrities need to make that decision for themselves. If they choose the immoral path, then they let down those that look up to them, and eventually lose the fame.

Here's another point: Should hate be against the law?

------------------
"Men, I want you just thinking of one word all season. One word and one word only: Super Bowl."
Bill Peterson, Football Coach

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus, if John Rocker is a famous person, Kerry Lightenberg must be a freakin star.

Anyway, this is a joke. John Rocker may be an idiot, but why does he deserve to be suspended? What's funny is that when Jesse Helms makes laws to keep those people out, he's a politician (well, a Republican).

My favourite part is his comment about the 7 train being like a trip through Beirut. It's funny, the government can back the state which is systematically murdering the citizens of Beirut and no one (except for us "left-wing radicals") criticizes. John Rocker makes a comment comparing NYC to it, and he's a pariah.

Yeah, we've got our priorities straight.

------------------
"Don't have a mind" - Kurt Cobain
Breed, Nirvana

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To reply to the last thing in the original post... Selig did cross the line. He crossed the line by merely suspending him. He should've banned the little **** comepletely! And that has nothing to do w/ being a "public figure", or whatever. Rocker has a job. Selig is his boss. If someone in my employ said something like that, he'd be out on his ass so fast, he wouldn't realize it for a week!

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The First Amendment is a legal right, however, employment is a contract. If making a public pronouncement of that nature violates one's contractual obligation to present a certain corporate image to the public, the employer is within his rights to terminate employment. The athlete in question did not go to jail and is free to seek employment elsewhere. He is even free to get a lawyer and attempt to prove his actions did not violate his contract. I'm sure that saying what he did was not spelled out as a "don't do" item in his contract, but I suppose "Don't murder anyone -- it's bad for the corporate image" isn't in there either.

If you've ever been employed, you realize that employers pay for your labor, but also for some aspects of your behavior. When I worked at Kentucky Fried Chicken (well before they changed to "KFC" to avoid using the word "Fried") I had to get to work on time and wear the corporate uniform -- a paper hat, a white shirt, and a silly-looking bow-tie. Big deal. "Don't insult the customers" wasn't spelled out, but most people recognize the counterproductivity of such behavior. If New York is comprised of a large number of "imported people" (most of MY ancestors were), it doesn't project a good corporate image for this athlete to complain about all these potential customers talking in their native languages, etc. Sheesh! Maybe they don't care if he can understant their convos? It's none of his #$%@ business anyway, the dolt!

In conclusion, the dolt is not in jail and did not lose any of his rights, unless you consider being paid vast sums of money a right. In that case, where do I sign?

--Baloo

------------------
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
--Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited February 01, 2000).]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, John Rocker has his right to free speech, but rights have responsibilities. You cannot use your rights to offend or disturb other people or society in general. Having John Rocker speak like that is like having a mass murderer say he has the right to kill and maim people. "I have rights!!! It's in the Constitution man!!!"

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the above quotation, Rocker might be expressing frustration at the use of multiple languages in many areas of the US and how they diminish the country's national identity.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This song is called...it's called..."
Audience: "Louisiana! Montana!"
John Linnell: Don't tell me what it's called..."

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Baloo has already spelled this out well, better then I can.

Rocker has a right to say what he pleases. Baseball has a right to discipline it's employees, including Rocker. I think the first amendment is supposed to protect you from the government, but free speach is an illusion. It only exsists on paper, and, on occasion, in court.
Baseball is a business, controled by the owners. It's not a bunch of teams playing in a leauge, but one big business. I like the Braves, and Rocker is a hell of a pitcher, and should not have been suspended. He will have to go back to New York next season, and New Yorkers can take care of themselves. They don't need Selig.

I just went and read the article. The comment by "Metswin", at the end of the article, says it all. Next time Rockers in New York, "Metswin" is bringing "D" battries to the game.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited February 01, 2000).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone explain to me how a player who makes a remark that happens to offend some people can get suspended, but someone who sells drugs doesn't?

Baloo, I'm surprised at you! You, of all snopes afficianados, should know that KFC changed their name to remove "Kentucky", not "Fried". Nor "Chicken", as they are not using genetically-engineered substitutes.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

So, the best that we can come up with is that we must be good little automatons lest we offend the corporate power base with our opinions?

Fascinating.

------------------
~C. Montgomery Burns

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the John Rocker thing is pretty funny, on one hand a Mr. Rocker says Racist comments (which are wrong and a really dumb thing to say since he is in front of a reporter) and he suspended from Baseball for a month. One the other hand there is a football player charged with murder and what does the NFL does to him, nothing. Why is there an out cry when a player makes racist comments (which are wrong), and not when a player is charged with murder and flees to avoid being put on trial. What gives, when has society made breaking the law a lesser infraction than making offensive comments.

------------------
"Think of all the delightful aspects of the reproductive process: menstruation, pregnancy, labor. And the part we're trying to eliminate is sex?" Cecil Adams the guy who does Straight Dope.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a neat comparison to Rocker and a Canadian reporter who made similar comments by mistake. She got FIRED instead. Everyone up here says that Rocker got a simple slap on the wrist.

I agree that Rocker should be fired. If you didn't know, the Baseball Player's Union is taking up the case. They should prevent tarnishing baseball's image by just simply cutting him loose.

Moral of the story: Make offensive comments, and you get fired. Unless you're one of the upper class (Theoretically, they COULD get away with everything, including murder. Just look at OJ Simpson).

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why I want to be a Rock Star.

Nobody will suspect me after the anthrax...

------------------
I bet when Neanderthal kids would make a snowman, someone would
always end up saying "Don't forget the big heavy eyebrows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky eyebrows too, and then they would get mad and eat the snowman.

-Jack Handey

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps