Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "What a lame flameboard..." continued (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "What a lame flameboard..." continued
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, sure, anybody has the right to disagree..
but there are orders of magnitude, you know.

When you express a viewpoint that runs contrary to the majority, or even to one specific opponent, you've got to expect some negative feedback from the folks who are listening. You can deal with this feedback in three ways:

You can avoid it by remaining silent - thus running the risk of being right, but unheard, but also avoiding conflict. (For instance, I don't start in on how much of a @#$% St. Cyril of Alexandria was when I'm visiting my gf's church.)

You can defend your argument with rational statements, countering your opponents' points with your own, better points. This is good for the brain, and the worst thing that happens (assuming both sides stay rational) is that you agree to disagree, or somebody changes their mind.

The third way is to get mad, resort to namecalling (like "brainwashed Americans" for starters), make vague threats (like "you'll all soon be sorry") or specific threats or become violent (thusly losing the argumentby showing you're uncivilized), or pick up your ball and go home (thus conceding defeat.)

I admit my logic's not all-powerful, but in the various offline debates I've participated in, I'm 13-0-1. (of course, more than half of these have been against Fundies, which is kind of like swatting a fly with a Buick)

Oh, I forgot. Okay, it's agreed. We disagree. Truce. You won't hear any more from me on the subject.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

[This message was edited by First of Two on April 03, 1999.]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True...can't argue with that.

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wash by brain with Ivory soap. How 'bout you guys and gals?

------------------
The real problem with the United States of America is that is was founded by Europeans, Asians, and Africans.

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DT doesn't want to play anymore? ... Aww, shucks. *shakes her head* ... What IS the world coming to?

No, don't answer that.

------------------
If Galileo had lied to save his life, would America, or the West, or Space have been discovered?

Jubilee
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right ... having now read the FIRST part of this thread ....

The United States is in Kosovo simply because it believes that it's the best darned country in the world and should go help out and protect all the other countries in the world.
Also:
1. Because this, eventually, threatens us
2. Because this helps out foriegn PR (in some twisted way)
3. Because inevitably, if we help out now, when the war is over we'll get something out of it in the final treaty. And don't think we aren't thinking about it.
4. Clinton has to do SOMETHING to show that he's not a complete ass. I mean, what ELSE was he doing in the oval office all that time? *Grin*

Is it wrong? ... Is it right? .....
It would seem we're in some sort of twisted "Antigone and Creon" situation. I certainly hope someone doesn't end up hanging themselves.
I don't know if it's wrong, or if it's right. I think wrong and right is really relative.

Lastly, it would seem that where this started as a nice friendly political argument (and I enjoy reading those) it turned into some sort of sick nationalist display and a contest on who could toot America's horn the loudest. *frowns* ... I love my country and there isn't anywhere I'd rather be ... but the war in Kosovo goes way beyond wether or not the USA has bigger guns (what is it with that preoccupation with size, anyway?).
It addresses the simple fact that Muslims are considered to be lesser people than the other citizens in that country.
Wanna know why?
Because they are more educated, therefore have more jobs, and therefore are richer. They deserve and earned these things. I personally don't think they got them by supressing thier Serbian neighbors (and i'm not saying wether they did or didn't .. this is merely my opinion and based on what I know, wich may NOT be fact).
This sounds, to me, alot like the problem with the Jewish people and the holocaust.
Everybody needs a scapegoat, and Milosevic found the Muslims as very convenient to use as impetus for his ultimate goal. He knew that by using this strategy, his people would follow him.
The scary thing about this is .... there are people in Serbia who actually believe every word he says.
Gaventa's three faces of power: A controls B, A ignores B, A controls B's mind. Ask yourself who controls the information, and then ask yourself if that's a reliable source.
No, it's not the Serbian's fault they think this way. They've been brought up to think this way. It's not the german's fault that they started to believe Hitler, either. I mean, isn't it very easy to beleive the person who is telling you everything you want to hear?
However ... It's Genocide. That's the whole point. People are killing other people because they call their God a different name. If the US started advocating this, who's to say the Buddhists aren't next? If someone, tomorrow, started deciding that all the catholic people deserved to die because of lent, would we feel the same way about this?

ACK .. I seem to have inadvertantly chosen a side.
Anyways, i'm going to get my Political Science butt out of this conversation now.... I try to avoid political discussions. *LOL*

And I want a lolly, too! (even if I couldn't find answers to all those questions)

------------------
If Galileo had lied to save his life, would America, or the West, or Space have been discovered?
And if Columbus had never set sail, would the Earth still be flat?

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well since DT has decided to run home, *hands her a lolly*, here you go.

------------------
"We choose to do this and more. Not because it is easy, but because it is hard."
-- John F. Kennedy

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Shakes his head and walks off*.

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Jubilee
Member # 99

Did Daryus just pull a CC?
I thought CC was the UN!?

------------------

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's something you folks might find interesting:

http://www.serbia-info.com/

It's a news site (presumably from Serbia, though I'm not sure) that a friend of mine told me about, so I went and had a look. I don't know who runs the site (Serbian news probably) but I didn't find any mention of what's happening in Kosovo, though plenty of references to "NATO criminals". An interesting look at another perspective, though one made up of a lot of propaganda, I wouldn't recommend believing all of what you read when you look here (though a lot of the information seems to be corroborated by western media).

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

[This message was edited by Chimaera on April 04, 1999.]

IP: Logged
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of you may be wondering why I have remained silent for so long.

Partly it's because this argument takes place time and again in this forum (and it's various incarnations) and although very much is said, very little can be done about whatever sparked the flame by those in the discussion.

Partly it's because as a military member, I am prohibited by regulation from expressing an opinion about certain topics that might be construed as:

1. An OFFICIAL US government position.
    (Find out why in the False Authority Syndrome.

2. Possible intelligence value.

Hence, I tend to keep my mouth shut.

I generally do not gripe about things I have no personal power over, except for comedic effect. Somehow, genocide and international calls-to-arms do not strike me as a good source for humorous material.

Too bad about DT. Someday he may realize that if someone disagrees with him, that is not the same as calling him a moron. I disagree with a lot of my friends. It's only when they disagree in an intentionally disagreeable manner that I begin to consider dropping them off the list.

Carry on. At least I can enjoy the debate vicariously.

------------------
COMPONENT EQUIVALENCY NOTICE:
The Subatomic Particles(Electrons, Protons, etc.) Comprising This Product Are Exactly the Same in Every Measurable Respect as Those Used in the Products of Other Manufacturers, and No Claim to the Contrary May Legitimately Be Expressed or Implied.

[This message was edited by Baloo on April 04, 1999.]

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

But DT IS a moron. That's the whole point.

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I suggest we bomb Russia too.

Jubilee
Member # 99

Perhaps he was a moron ... perhaps he wasn't.

I don't think we should bash him if he's not there to defend himself.

And thanks for the Lolly. *takes it*

------------------

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pleasure. Really, it is too bad DT's gone. Now there isn't anybody to come up with his kind of "logic".

------------------
"We choose to do this and more. Not because it is easy, but because it is hard."
-- John F. Kennedy

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I disagree with him, DT remains my friend, so if we could kindly avoid the childish name calling?

I'd tell him that too, but he apparently isn't around to hear it.

------------------
"And though I once prefered a human being's company, they pale before the monolith that towers over me."
--
They Might Be Giants

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps