Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » There's no accounting for taste...

Author Topic: There's no accounting for taste...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...But on the other hand, there's the page of bad candy. Now I know enough to steer clear of some of the "interesting" imported confections stocked by the local supermarket.

Excuse the lack of sensitivity these guys display. It's hard to be sensitive to the needs of others when you are gagging.

http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/2066/

--Baloo

------------------
CONSUMER NOTICE:
Because of the "Uncertainty Principle," It Is Impossible for the Consumer to Find Out at the Same Time Both Precisely Where This Product Is and How Fast It Is Moving.

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I love the text underneath the counter most

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No offense, but many American candies are at most "semi-edible". Why does that webpage only take into account foreign atrocities of taste? I don't remember what it was called, but the worst candy I ever ate was from Hershey's (they don't know how to make chocolate anyway, perhaps I should tell them that raw chocolate is not supposed to be excessively heated during the fabrication). It was some kind of chocolate (or what they think is chocolate) balls filled with sour milk cream *shudders*. I can't tell exactly, for I only tried one and threw away the rest.

Long live Lindt! They don't have candy bars, but a 100g bar might do as well

------------------
I know engineers - they love to change things. (McCoy, STTMP)
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd: There is no accounting for taste!

You can't really blame Americans for liking Hershey's chocolate. We've been eating the stuff since childhood so we're not only accustomed to it, it's become our standard of excellence. Before the turn of the century, chocolates were a rare item, and if you had any at all, they were very likely locally manufactured. Hershey did for the candy bar what Ford did for the automobile, bringing chocolate to the masses.

What you described sounds like malted milk balls. Malted milk is foamed and petrified (don't ask me by what process, I don't know ). The tiny balls are then dipped in chocolate. Not everyone likes 'em, but enough do that they remain in production. I personally enjoy the things. It's possible you got a bad batch, or perhaps they simply do not appeal to you. Relax. Europe has more chocolatiers and candymakers than the U.S. does. If ya don't like Hershey's, don't eat 'em.

------------------
READ THIS BEFORE OPENING PACKAGE:
According to Certain Suggested Versions of the Grand Unified Theory, the Primary Particles Constituting this Product May Decay to Nothingness Within the Next Four Hundred Million Years.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not necessary to avoid Hershey's because it's not available in Germany anyway. You're right there's no accounting for taste, but this is the flameboard (and maybe all Americans will flame me for my provocation).

Hershey's might be like Microsoft, a better product is not established, not available, or is much too expensive (Swiss or German chocolate: four times as expensive as in Europe). I'm convinced the malted milk balls were a good batch, and we do use better chocolate than Hershey's for a simple chocolate cake.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

Baloo: I forgot to say I really like your animated malted milk ball.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps