Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Installation of my CD-RW...

Author Topic: The Installation of my CD-RW...
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday, at about 6:30PM, I bought a new CD-RW drive. It's a real nice and shiny one, too. This morning, I woke up in a good mood, thinking to
myself, "Woohoo! I got a nifty cd drive to install.", and other nice things. For some dumbass reason, I decide to install the drive upstairs. So I take the tower to my bedroom and place it on my bed. I go back downstairs to get
all the parts it came with. Back in my room, I sit on the bed, and the damn tower falls on the ground. I'm like, "Oh crap!". I pick it up and I hear something inside moving ("!@#%$"). A RAM chip came out of place. I spend the next three minutes trying to put the thing back in.

Then I notice some little wire is unhooked near the CPU. I basically know what area it goes to, but there are two sets of places I can put it, so I just pick one. I bring the computer back downstairs and hook it up and boot it, hoping I didn't completely screw the thing up by dropping it. I wait for the LILO Boot Loader to pop up...but it doesn't. Instead it goes straight to Linux. I log in and am greeted with the nifty message of the day (it was a Star Trek quote...).
Anyway, I didn't want to go to Linux, so I reboot. This time I notice that only one of my drives is loading

I open the tower up yet again and look around. I notice that a cable going to the motherboard from the hard drives isn't connected all the way...I proceed to press in back in. I reboot again, and the hard drives all load, but this time, the floppy drive isn't loading. I check the omputer's guts again and notice that the power cable for the floppy must have just popped out when I connected the hard drives. I reboot yet again.

Everything is fine, and LILO is working, so I happily choose to load DOS. At the point where Explorer is suppose to load, nothing happens. All that opens is Norton AntiVirus and WinAmp ("WTF?!!"). I open Norton and browse my files so
I can open up another shell. I decided to play a fine selection of "gangsta rap" mp3s and replace all the registry and ini files with a backup from last night.

Guess what? Yep, I rebooted again. This time, everything works just fine and dandy, and Windows loads all the way. So, this is as good a time as any to install my new cd drive. I'm pretty happy now. After an hour of constant swearing, I now
have a new working cd drive, oh joy. Now all I need to do it get my mouse to work in Linux.

...all this from someone who has been using computers since 1992

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't feel too badly, my boy. When I have a freshman in high school (or thereabouts) I bought a CD-ROM drive to install in my computer. Well, I installed it, and when I booted up the computer the damn sparked and smoked. I thought I had really screwed my computer over. Turns out it was just a defective drive. Still, there's nothing like seeing your baby breath fire at you like a dragon.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, there are children born today who will grow up in a world where installing new hardware will take 5 seconds, and be as easy as using a toaster.

I spoke to a 15 year-old the other day who couldn't remember the Sinclair Spectrum.

Someone else couldn't get a budget game to load. I told them to try DOS. They asked what DOS was. I don't know, the youth of today.

------------------
'Saying it in a stacato voice doesn't make it any more true'
-Stewart Lee

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps