Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Death Penalty (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Death Penalty
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, now! Uncle Merl would never say ANYTHING like that! I mean, he can't read, so how could he know what the second ammendment was?

...oh, wait. You were joking, weren't you?

------------------
Francesca: He was born on the tundra, that's where he belongs. You'll kill him if you take him to Toronto.
Thatcher: That's a bit drastic, don't you think?
Francesca: Look, I've been to Toronto. Trust me, nothing can survive there. - "due South"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, isn't Tennessee GORE stomping ground?

And.. .isn't he LOSING there?

It's a bad sign when you can't carry your home state...

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on ... polls?

Might want to wait until the Tuesday results are in.

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
I'll hug your elephant if you'll kiss my ass.
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have several people in a jury in the UK. Yes. More than 3, for sure.

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've missed out on most of thie thread but here is my two cents. I feel that the death penalty needs to be used more often, but only on individuals that were convicted for murder and there ar no doubts that they did it(ex. Seen by hundreds shooting up a school, caught on tape, etc..). If asked most people will tell you that they would rather live then die. I fully belive that the death penalty is a deterant. Even criminals have some what of a brain. They can understand that if they kill someone and get caught they run a big risk of being killed themselves. This attitude of mine has also been influenced by the fact that my dad has been a police officer for 24 years. The last thing I want is for some punk my dad put in jail for murder getting out, either through the parole board(Yes they do let out killers) or by escape and killing my dad. Call me selfish but I kind of like having my dad around. Personally "Kill them all, let god sort it out."

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And I couldn't care less about OJ. Not that it mattered whether he did it or not, since there was at least one woman on that jury that would have voted 'not guilty' simply because he was black. Now tell me that the justice system is biased towards whites."

Okay, since you live in Tennessee, I'll fill you in. The prosecutors showed that OJ's DNA matched stuff they found at the crime scene, then OJ's lawyers had the gall to suggest that someone tampered with the DNA(which is next to impossible). And the jury was stupid enough to believe them.

As for the last sentence in your comment, that's a non sequitur. Just because some jurors are biased toward a black man doesn't prove that the system isn't biased toward whites.

------------------
"The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."
--Albert Eistein

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, please. Tell me how the system is unfair toward black people. I can't WAIT to hear this.

------------------
Francesca: He was born on the tundra, that's where he belongs. You'll kill him if you take him to Toronto.
Francesca: Look, I've been to Toronto. Trust me, nothing can survive there. - "due South"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Omega, its called racism.

Its not quite the system thats biased as much as the people who make up the system: police, judges, juries, etcetra.

Those people who happen to be racist (or simply uneducated) predjudice the system.

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at the system itself, it's ok.
It is the implementation of the concept that is off.
About the money for appeals.
What is the financial difference between a person sentenced to death appealing, and a person sentenced to life? The appeals will cost the same, but after that is done it is the cost of keeping them alive for another 60 years, or killing them. I am not for limiting due process at all, but I am for ridding society of those that need it. Florida limiting the appeals process to 5 years, if the 7 years for new evidence is a good average, is a rotten idea. Say, 15 years, after all avenues are exhausted, add the juice.
We will make mistakes, on anything, which is what needs to be our driving force to make a better system, or, I should say, improve our present system.

Abortion is slightly different, with many questions.
If the pregnacy is endangering the mothers life, can she abort, or die because we limit her choice.
Women that get knocked up, abort, get knocked up, abort, etc... These women need training/education.

Two samples is all, since I am getting long winded here, which is a pain till I get to Best Buy and buy a new keyboard.

------------------
Yep

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last fellow to be executed in Canada, a fellow by the name of Coyle, IIRC, was later found innocent.

And, Omega, your views on Democrat vs. Republican seems to be bordering on racism, IMHO. Unless you're only joking, of course.

------------------
Hunt: "You cheated!"
Rhade: "It's only cheating if you get caught."
-Andromeda, "Double Helix"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux, what was the time from conviction to execution and execution to new evidence?

------------------
Yep

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Honestly, if we could just EDUCATE people on contraceptives: the pill, condoms, "day-after" pill, etcetra, the # of abortions would drop significantly.

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ritten: Actually, I don't know too much about it. I just know that the fellow was executed, and later found innocent.

------------------
Hunt: "You cheated!"
Rhade: "It's only cheating if you get caught."
-Andromeda, "Double Helix"

Omega
Member # 91

JK:

"Its not quite the system thats biased as much as the people who make up the system: police, judges, juries, etcetra."

So you're assuming that a majority of the thousands upon thousands of people that make the justice system work are racist. And your evidence would be?

Fab:

"Omega, your views on Democrat vs. Republican seems to be bordering on racism, IMHO. Unless you're only joking, of course."

How do you figure?

JK2:

"Honestly, if we could just EDUCATE people on contraceptives: the pill, condoms, "day-after" pill, etcetra, the # of abortions would drop significantly."

That's what we've been doing. It hasn't worked. Under any circumstances, why not teach kids NOT TO HAVE SEX? That would probably reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies, wouldn't you say?

Back to the death penalty, it hit me: if I tried to outlaw capital punishment on the basis of my religion, would I not be forcing my religious beliefs on others?

------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Yes

------------------
Yep

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps