Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Death Penalty (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Death Penalty
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega,

Yes, if you fight to outlaw execution based on your religious beliefs, yes.

But you yourself postulated that execution is a part of Islam ... so someone is obviously trying to force that religious belief on us!!!! ::Gasp!::

And how exactly do you plan to teach kids not to have sex?

What I said was that it is the people who make up the system ... I never said, 'everyone in the system is racist', as you claim. It only takes a few bad eggs to ruin a bunch ...

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
I'll hug your elephant if you'll kiss my ass.
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited November 05, 2000).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega:

quote:
Democrats have always been masters of changing the subject.

Seems to me you're labeling people with the title "democrat" and judging them thusly. Why not just make all democrats wear a red, white, and blue eagle on all their clothes so republicans can ridicule them appropriately?

Republican: "Haha! Lousy democrat!" *throws stone*

------------------
Hunt: "You cheated!"
Rhade: "It's only cheating if you get caught."
-Andromeda, "Double Helix"

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: You're trying to outlaw abortion on the basis of your religion, you're advocating abstinence, are you not forcing your beliefs on others?

ALL political debates try to force some kind of belief or another on other people. The difference is in saying "capital punishment should be abolished because people aren't perfect enough to decide who should die" and "capital punishment should be abolished because God will tak revenge."

Here's my personal example. Paganism says "harm none, do what ye will" and that energy you expend comes back three-fold. Karma and reincarnation says the murderer's soul would choose to meet the victim again in subsequent lives to resolve the matter. Do I tell you all of this? Of course not. But here's what I do say:

Our system would rather let a hundred guilty go free than execute one innocent, right? Well, innocents HAVE been executed. Whose fault is it? It's usually a combination of bad timing, lack of money (aka expensive lawyers), and human errors (including, but not only, prejudice). So I conclude here and say, "capital punishment should be abolished because people in general cannot be trusted to kill fairly."

Both approaches come to the same conclusion, but nobody would listen to the first argument.

------------------
"The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."
--Albert Eistein

[This message has been edited by Tora Ziyal (edited November 05, 2000).]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega...bubby.....if I recall correctly, the major protion of abortions aren't kids...but POOR PEOPLE. This makes sense; when you're poor, fucking is about the only entertainment y'GET.

------------------
"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much."

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We poor people either fight or fuck, and fucking feels better.......

------------------
Yep

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if you can combine the two...well, you won't need half-eaten ham sandwiches anymore.

------------------
Equality, Cooperation & Benevolence.

Vote Communist Party of America 2000.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JK:

"Yes, if you fight to outlaw execution based on your religious beliefs, yes.

But you yourself postulated that execution is a part of Islam ... so someone is obviously trying to force that religious belief on us!!!! ::Gasp!::"

Are you this irrational in reality, or just online? If you can't figure out the inherant hole in THAT argument, how are you able to operate a computer?

"What I said was that it is the people who make up the system ... I never said, 'everyone in the system is racist', as you claim."

When did I claim that?

"It only takes a few bad eggs to ruin a bunch ..."

So now you're suggesting that the very FEW racists in the justice system are ruining the entire thing? I'd like to hear your explaination for that.

Fab:

"Seems to me you're labeling people with the title "democrat" and judging them thusly."

No, I simply analyze their actions, and determine that they fit the profile of a typical Democrat voter. You've got the cause and effect reversed.

Ziyal:

"You're trying to outlaw abortion on the basis of your religion"

No, I'm not. We all agree that the death of an innocent is wrong, unless it serves some immediate greater good, such as saving other lives. I have shown that the unborn child is alive. It is by nature innocent. Unless it's threatening the life of the mother, killing it is wrong. I never brought religion into it.

"you're advocating abstinence, are you not forcing your beliefs on others?"

I'm advocating abstinence because it always works. How many pregnant virgins have their been throughout history?

Since I'm NOT advocating litigating my own religion, your question is moot. Nice try, though.

"ALL political debates try to force some kind of belief or another on other people."

Um, no. It's by nature impossible to force a belief on someone. You may be able to force me to go through to motions, but what I think and believe is beyond anyone's control.

"Our system would rather let a hundred guilty go free than execute one innocent, right?"

Yes, which is why I only advocate capital punishment when there is absolutely no chance that the person could be innocent.

Shik:

"Omega...bubby.....if I recall correctly, the major protion of abortions aren't kids"

I never said they were.

------------------
Francesca: He was born on the tundra, that's where he belongs. You'll kill him if you take him to Toronto.
Thatcher: That's a bit drastic, don't you think?
Francesca: Look, I've been to Toronto. Trust me, nothing can survive there. - "due South"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega,

'Bubby' ... it's called sarcasm, I suggest you look it up, or get a sense of humor.

Perhaps I haven't been very clear in my last two posts. EVERYONE is predjudiced -- be it by race, education, etcetra. Personally, I don't much care for people who wear New York Yankee paraphenalia (probably because I'm an O's fan).

Thankfully, not very many people are predjudiced by skin color these days, but there are still hold-outs in the CJ system. Today, it seems, more people are offended when two people of the same sex decide they love each other.

But it still happens. "Justice" is not color-blind at all, she's also not sexuality blind or clothing blind. To pretend otherwise is sheer ignorance.

Do you understand?

And ... I said "if we could educate PEOPLE to use contraceptives" ... where did you come up with the idea that I said "kids"?

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"You still don't understand, do you MacLeod? I am the End of Time!" - Kronos

"You're history!" - MacLeod
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"EVERYONE is predjudiced"

Or you're prejudiced about everyone.

"Personally, I don't much care for people who wear New York Yankee paraphenalia (probably because I'm an O's fan)."

That's not prejudice unless you draw some conclusion about the person. Now if you think someone's STUPID because they like the Yankees, that's prejudice, because you judge before seeing the evidence. To judge before knowing, as the word originated.

"I said "if we could educate PEOPLE to use contraceptives" ... where did you come up with the idea that I said "kids"?"

General assumption. It's easier to educate someone while they're in school. Now TV commercials are all well and good, but a good class in school will work a lot better. Of course, the best bet is a good talk from a parent.

------------------
Francesca: He was born on the tundra, that's where he belongs. You'll kill him if you take him to Toronto.
Thatcher: That's a bit drastic, don't you think?
Francesca: Look, I've been to Toronto. Trust me, nothing can survive there. - "due South"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that would've been nice. ;(

------------------
So, how's that Survivor-contest coming along, Newt?
-Well not very well at the MOMENT, everyone seems to have died.
-Gee, that's bad. Those Aliens bugging you yet?
-Not really, they mostly come at night mostly...

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

This was told to me a long time ago, so I've probably gotten some of the details wrong ...

A team of researchers goes to a remote village in some back-water country, in order to educate the inhabitants about the proper useage of condoms. To demonstrate to the males how to use condoms, they use brook sticks, mop handles, etcetra.

So they come back a few years later, and lo-and-behold, the birth rate is still what it was. They're curious ...

Until they come to the realization that before sex, the males are putting the condoms on ... broom sticks and mop handles ... (and not on the certain part of the male anatomy that it belongs)

True Story

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"You still don't understand, do you MacLeod? I am the End of Time!" - Kronos

"You're history!" - MacLeod

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They seemed to have oopsed.
Death Penalty reversed

------------------
I see a red door and I want id painted black

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps