Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Time to bow out... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Time to bow out...
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hereby call on Albert Gore Jr. to concede the election to George W. Bush.

These points are clear.

1) The American experiment in democracy is bigger than either Bush or Gore.

2) To point a fact, in the course of American history up to this point in his individual career, are both rather petty players on the stage.

3) There is no decisive winner in Florida. Whoever is declared the winner will more than likely win by less than a thousand votes.

4) Litigation is not the way to decide the issue.

5) Therefore, one of the canidates much take a higher road...which may not be easy, but one that will keep the election out of the courts. Each canidate and his campaign has yet to do so of yet).

• Bush can stop opposing the hand recount and end his litigation and become one with the final decision and stop trying to hurry it along lest something change. The winner wins...sit back and let the count go till it's over...win or lose. He can think better of himself and say 'I am better man than I was 2 days ago for not putting myself and my ego above this election before the republican system we have.'

• Gore can accept that no matter how many little old ladys punched 4 or 5 different boxes making the ballot not valid, no matter how many pregnant chads there are, and he has pretty much lost Florida, even if only by a hair, but that is still a loss...and therefore he has lost the Oval Office. High road, best of luck President Elect Bush. He can think better of himself and say 'I am better man than I was 2 days ago for not putting myself and my ego above this election before the republican system we have.'

Please concede Vice President Gore.

It's time to move on.
------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited November 17, 2000).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say it ...

But I agree.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Continuing to boldly go ...

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that it has to end, but... well, neither side is going to conceed. It is possible that the recount will edge Gore over the top, but is the accuracy of the hand recount going to be poor enough to allow Bush's appeals to get it stopped to come through?

Right now, I honestly don't think the winner of Florida is guaranteed to win the election.

Remember, we have the electoral college.

Less than half the states require their electors to vote in a certain way.

What happens in the event that enough votes are pulled from the 'winner' to the 'loser' to produce no result, i.e. less than 270? Whee, off to Congress we go.

Florida does not matter, IMVHO.

(And now, I think I'll like, step out of the Flameboard. Hehe... )

------------------
"Uh, Cody, what has the Mullah of Cappistan been smoking?"
"MILKSHAKES. I HAVE BEEN SMOKING MILKSHAKES!"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bush is now, with many of the absentee ballots counted, leading by about 650 votes.

The odds of a lead this size disappearing during a recount (assuming no fraud takes place) are approximately 350,000,000 to 1. (Heard this on CNN from an oddsmaker) The odds of it NOW disappearing after the THIRD recount is even smaller.

Therefore, it will be easy to see if the fix is in, and by whom.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's just it, Gore wants to keep counting until the end result-he has enough votes to be on top of Bush.

However, I've seen a video of one woman bending and crunching ballots and then counting them as Gore votes... Another woman took a ballot that was hole-punched twice, and counted it as Gore's, when ANY ballot with two holes punched is automatically disqualified. There is fraud going on down there in Florida, and nothing is stopping them. That's why we the law had deadlines, so the chances of fraud wouldn't be so great. Unfortunately, Gore's campaign doesn't care about deadlines.

------------------
"I'm not like George Bush. If he wins or loses, life goes on. I will do anything to win." - Al Gore, Newsweek, 1999

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enough already! This isn't a thread about recounts! If I wanted to read that, I'd go to another thread. In fact, you people turn a dozen different election topics into the same exact thing. Keep it to one thread, will ya?

------------------
"The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."
--Albert Eistein

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Diane: At this point, the recount is the election. Of course it's going to be mentioned in all the election threads.

------------------
"What he did to that walrus gentle-man was inexcusable."
-T. Herman Zweibel on "Mr. Woodrow Wood-pecker", The Onion, 7-Nov-2000

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you hadn't noticed, the recount doesn't MATTER in this thread.

------------------
"The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."
--Albert Eistein

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think its a foregone conclusion that most of the people posting in this thread are sick and tired of the recounts and just want Gore to concede.

I will admit my reasons are selfish. Its one thing to have a recount -- going to the courts is another. The Democratic Party made a big point about possible Republican voter fraud, yet now, the Republicans are gaining points for making the same claim against the Dems (and they've got proof to back them up).

Even if Gore wins the White House, he is hurting the Democratic Party more than he is helping it. Please, Al, give it up ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Continuing to boldly go ...

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree. If it was to be revealed that Gore actually won, then Gore would get a huge credibility boost. This constant demand for recounts is tiring, taxing, boring, and frankly, very stupid. It doesn't do wonders for Gore's Credibility either. So if for some reason that Gore finally wins Florida, will it be a wonderful celebration or nothing more than a bittersweet victory?

Give it up, Gore. Salvage your credibility while you still can, regroup, then smash Bush in the NEXT election.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I don't know if Gore still has a chance in the next election ...

Right now, this whole military-ballot scandal is turning a LOT of people against Gore (including many independents & moderates...) Gore, you may have gone too far. Too bad, too.

If it turns out that the military ballots were discarded simply because they're from the military, then I don't think *I'd* vote for Gore next time around.

Now, if they were discarded b/c of a technicality such as not being postagemarked, well, that would be a very different story, IMHO.

------------------
The Dominion has been defeated, but the hardest job will be building the peace ...

Join Cpt. Connor H. Macy and the crew of the <i>Tokyo</i> as they attempt to forge the bonds of trust ...

Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fo2:

You mentioned the odds of that lead disappearing. As I'm sure you are aware (but others may not be), the odds of Bush's original 1,700 vote lead diminishing to 300 votes after a second MACHINE recount are practically zero. For that to happen, there would have had to have been 1,400 errors that were registered as errors in the first count, but not in the second. the exact number was 2.4*10EX180. We're talking getting struck by lightening THIRTY TIMES.

------------------
"You know, you--you let a wolf save your life, they make you pay and pay and pay..."
- Fraser, "due South"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

The Florida Supreme Court has ruled ... no recounts.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
***stops for a second, lightning zaps me****

That's 29...........

------------------
**...****...**

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

O...k

I *thought* it was the Fl supreme court who ruled, but my Uncle is telling me no, so maybe I misheard the news bit ... ugh ...

Politics bad.

Irish cream good.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps