Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Rose-tinted brains (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Rose-tinted brains
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, there I am at TrekSunday, and I happen to casually mention that my clothes smell of smoke from where I've just been. Before going on, I may as well mention that these cigarettes weren't, ahem, your usual tobacco ones. However, the reaction I got was completely unexpected - and had nothing to do with what exactly was being smoked.

No, instead several people came close to vergally abusing me, claiming that they had lost all respect for me as someone who smokes.

But I never said I smoked. I don't. It was passive smoking in another person's home - my BROTHER'S home. This, however, only served to increase their venom. Why?

Because, you see, these holier-than-thou little sh*ts somehow manage to have social lives where no-one smokes. Maybe that's possible in North America where smoking in public is virtually illegal, but over here it's not so easy. People smoke. I can't stop them, but my friends at least know my feelings and try to be considerate. But cut off all contact with them, and never go anywhere where I'll be exposed? Impossible. First because I've never let others dictate my choice of friendships, and second because here in the UK most places still allow smoking. I've learnt to live with it, though I'm not happy with it.

So there you go. Become a monk, or follow the example of people who have on previous occasions complained at their lack of a social life. Sorry, but I know what my choice is.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please...tell me you are joking...

What the hell are you guys thinking? *Shakes his head*.

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, for my involvement in this, I apologize. Whether it came out how I intended it or not, I'm sorry.

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."
"Fortune favours the bold."

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, you have now descended into the first circle of hell. Don't worry, the first one's pretty okay, and I hear the 3rd one is actually fun!

Seriously ... That's just plain stupid. I had to give up smoking when I developed CFIDS, but i still hang out with my college friends who smoke. Why should I give up what little social life I can enjoy just because they smoke?! ... When did smoking become such a moral/social issue?! ... well anyway, everyone who smell's Jenny's smoke on me automatically chews me out, so I understand.

------------------
If Galileo had lied to save his life, would America, or the West, or Space have been discovered?
And if Columbus had never set sail, would the Earth still be flat?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm quite pleased, my two 'smoking because their at uni and everyone else does it' friends have managed to not smoke recently. As a consciuos decision not to get addicted.

Yeah, its a pain, but what can you do...

That's tobacco BTW, My thoughts on cannabis are different, and not applicable or appropriate here...

------------------
'It's okay to only know three chords but God, put them in the right order'
-Hank Hill

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We (I) did not verbally abuse you. I said that I was surprised that you would smell like weed and that my opinion on you had altered slightly. I did not completely denounce you. If, however, you had EXPLAINED the situation, as you did here, I would then have understood. But instead, you got all mad, insulted us and stormed out.

Tobacco smoke is considered somewhat socially acceptable, but marijuana smoke is illegal, and drugs are on of my most hated things. Perhaps I did over-react, but so did you, you just showed up in the chat and said "Hey, I smell like hash!" So don't only blame us.

------------------
Lyta Vorlon: "Our great mistake. Our failing. And now your failing. The error is compounded."
Delenn: "What mistake?"
Lyta Vorlon: "The first one, the one from which all mistakes proceed: The error of Pride..."

-- Kalesh Naranek, Last of the Vorlon
www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, Lee shouldn't have sulked.

On the other hand, a drug thread should be taken to the flameboard.

Oh wait...

Gee Adam, Americans are SO bitter that they have to be 21 to drink, and have to take out their anger by saying that ALL drugs are bad.

On the other hand, before we start a drug thread, lets ask Sol or CC. Cause I can see it being another one of those threads where everyone has got their own opinions, and will not listen to anyone else despite how well siad the arguments are, and al that will happen is that we'll get name calling and I'll have to use my board with a nail in it on everyone. Or Opium, whatever I have to hand.

[This message was edited by PsyLiam on April 04, 1999.]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
21?! Crikey...it's 16 here. Hell everything is 16 here.

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I'd rather avoid the issue, some things have to be talked about.

First of all, what exactly does it matter if Lee smells like Otto's jacket? If the circumstances are important to you, ask. I realize some people are staunchly opposed to all drugs, and more power to them, but rejecting people isn't much of an answer. Of course, that's a bit of overreaction to the matter at hand. But we all know that things get a bit weird at TrekSunday. I think we should keep that in mind.

And now time for a related story. When my class took our senior trip to Disneyland, there was of course the inevitable booze party. Hooray, and all that. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a drinker, and I really wasn't in the mood to add a layer of vomit to my nice and fresh shirt. So we watched a movie. It ended up that a lot of people came by my room, safe in the knowledge that if there was anyone in the class totally unconnected from drunken partying, it would be me. The moral of the story is that I'm terminally boring and an evening with me is long and boring as well, including the movie Sphere, which we were watching. Not to mention how hard it was to get to sleep with people sitting on my legs.

Uh...too much? Anyway, the point is that you can't control what other people are going to do, so it's best just to put the pillow over your ears and kick a lot.

------------------
"The record of my unspeakable crimes, in previous lives, in previous times, indelibly stains the pages of history."
--
They Might Be Giants

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Point #1: I am CANADIAN, not American.
Point #2: The legal drinking age in Canada is 19, not 21.
Point #3: This drug thread HAS been taken to the Flameboard, Liam... *gives Liam a strange look* =P
Point #4: All drugs ARE bad... Mmm'kay?

------------------
Lyta Vorlon: "Our great mistake. Our failing. And now your failing. The error is compounded."
Delenn: "What mistake?"
Lyta Vorlon: "The first one, the one from which all mistakes proceed: The error of Pride..."

-- Kalesh Naranek, Last of the Vorlon
www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to thank Elim for seeing sense on this matter, however I shouldn't have expected any sort of apology from Adam. . .

First off, as I've already said the reaction I got had nothing to do with what was being smoked - it was the mere fact that I was (as they first thought) smoking at all, and then (when I corrected them) that I was so unhip as to hang around with people who smoked.

Now, on to marijuana. I utterly oppose the demonisation of this drug. It's harmless. It has a proven medical benefit that the anti-drug crusaders are happy to ignore. I know many people who use it - and yes, I have too - and none of them have gone on to use cocaine and heroin and crack as TPTB would have you believe is the natural progression from the use of any sort of drug.

The whole idea is patently absurd. When you consider how many drugs have been developed for valid medical purposes then hurriedly withdrawn when they were found to have other effects, like diet pills and Ecstasy (which, yes, CAN kill people if made improperly), it's incredible that a mildly narcotic herb that's far less harmful than tobacco can generate this amount of bile from people. Maybe if the hemp growers of the world were to band together and start instituting massive sports sponsorship (and paying revenues) then the anti-marijuana lobby would vanish very suddenly. . .

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adam: Canada is part of North America. :P

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Destruction Drone: "Throw down your weapons and I will spare your miserable lives!"
Rollbar: "That's the best offer we've had all day..."

Jubilee
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*takes Liam's face and points it gently in the direction of the TITLE OF THE FORUM*
*or in otherwords ... You are here -> Flameboard*

Yes the drinking age in America is 21. Now ask us when we actually START drinking (who said you can't get booze from outside sources? *Grin*)

Thirdly it seems there was some sort of misunderstanding between a group of you here, and I hope you work it out between you.

Fourthly, I'll go on the record as admitting that I have personally tried many of the known drugs out there. and THEY ARE NOT NICE. *ahem*

Do we have to turn this into some sort of twisted "Partnership for a Drug Free America" Type of thing? ... ACK say no, please!

The man only said he was in a room where weed was smoked.... he never said he smoked it himself. Which I personally want to award him on, since it's hard not to smoke it when everyone else is.

*looks at her post* where was I going with this?... Ahh.. well..... I guess i'm done.

------------------
If Galileo had lied to save his life, would America, or the West, or Space have been discovered?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam knew that this was in the Flameboard. I guess it just takes a while to get used to his humor...a long time...

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Destruction Drone: "Throw down your weapons and I will spare your miserable lives!"
Rollbar: "That's the best offer we've had all day..."

Jubilee
Member # 99

Well for the record, I knew that Liam knew... but I guess it'll take YOU awhile to get used to MY sense of humour as well.... HMM?... *grin*

------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps