Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » First Gunman of Bush Jr. Admin (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: First Gunman of Bush Jr. Admin
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suicide by Secret Service?

A possibly suicidal middle-aged man branished a handgun outside the White House grounds early today. A uniformed member of the Secret Service's QRT fired a shot into his knee, at which point he was taken into custody and taken to GWU Hospital.

The gunman was Robert Pickett of Evansville, Indiana, who has been described as a "loner", and by reports on CNN, lives in the home he grew up in (his parents are dead).

USSS and Park Police tried to talk Pickett down for 15 minutes before the shot was fired injuring Pickett. The incident apparently began at 11:22 am.

City police were the first on the scene, near the South Grounds (where Bush had been exercising an hour earlier).

During Clinton's term, one suspect jumped the fence with an unloaded rifle, another fired at the White House, and a pilot apparently lost control of his plane and crashed into the White House.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought he crashed into the White House lawn? Crashing into the building would have done a lot of damage, and I don't recall that...

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, it was shortly after Jack Ryan was named VP.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, that was a passenger plane into the capital, UM.

The plane may have hit the land intitially, but I'm pretty sure it hit the building itself at some point. I might be wrong.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack Ryan? Isn't that from Tom Clancy novels? Clear and Present Danger, The Hunt for Red October, and Patriot Games?

I was about to comment, I never heard of a plane crashing into the White House either. The lawn maybe, but even that I don't remember.

------------------
"You win again gravity" - Capt Zap Brannigan.
Federation Starship Datalink: Brand new look, fresh minty scent, same great taste!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

It happened. It wasn't made a big deal of because the pilot actually did lose control of his plane and wasn't trying to blow up the White House or something similar. He lost control, he crash landed -- on White House grounds. I'm certain the plane hit/bumped or did something to the building itself, but I'm not sure what exactly.

$$$

-
-
-

Yeah, at the end of Debt of Honor, some Japanese pilot crashes a 747 into the Capital building where Ryan has just been sworn in as VP. Needless to say, Ryan becomes President.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He must be happy as a clam!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Who? Ryan?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't exactly a flamey flame, is it?

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guns are involved therefore who knows where the discussion will go.

------------------
"There's no such thing as legacies. At least, there is a legacy, but I'll never see it."
~ George W. Bush, Deer-In-The-Headlights of the United States

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering...how many days into Clinton's presidency was an attempt made on his life? And how many days has it been into Bush's? Do we have a new record?

------------------
"Okashii na... namida ga nagareteru. Hitotsu mo kanashikunai no ni."
(That's funny... my tears are falling. And I'm not sad at all.) - Quatre Raberba Winner

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The news reports say that this guy was an ACCOUNTANT.

An accountant? Maybe the new cut tax proposals drove him to it, if they make them retroactive, he might have to redo the books?

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to my local NBC affiliate (which is more eye-candy than journalism, but I digress) says that indeed on September 12, 1994, at 1:49 a.m., a Cessna airplane crashed onto the White House South Lawn. The plane slid across the lawn and came to a halt after impacting the south wall of the White House. There was minimal damage done.

As for other White House attacks: October 29, 1994, a Colorado native opened fire on the White House with a semiautomatic weapon. Caught and convicted of attempting to assassinate the President and assaulting four Secret Service agents. Also, on May 23, 1995, a man with an unloaded handgun jumped the White House fence and made a dash for the White House. He was tackled by one Secret Service agent and shot and wounded by another one.

That seems to be it for their history of White House attacks. Their website has a listing for attacks at the capital building as well. That is quite a long list, too.

------------------
Nic: She's not a practicing lesbian. We need PRACTICING lesbians!
Me: I have a camcorder.
Nic: But no lesbians.
Me: Ahhh... no.
Nic: DAMN IT MAN! WE NEED LESBIANS! LOTS AND LOTS OF LESBIANS!

ICQ Conversation From January 23, 2001.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Yes, First, except he was laid off by the IRA in the early eighties. Reportedly, he sued the government for the loss of his job.

Who knows why people do these things? Again, reports were that he might have been suicidal, so he might just have been going to great lengths to commit "suicide by cop" (I trust everyone knows what that is?)

He had a history of mental problems, too. He apparently was here in Baltimore for a few years at a "home" for the "crazy people!!!!"

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Um. Er.

IRS.

Not IRA.

Big difference.

Okay, not really, both terrorize ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.